Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flu season ramping up, vaccine not a good match for current flu

Flu season ramping up, vaccine not a good match for current flu

Get ready for the flu, it's a particularly nasty one this year, and the flu vaccine did not include the variant of the flu that is now spreading.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Doctors report spike in respiratory illness, flu cases

You’re probably hearing about it from friends and co-workers. People all around you are getting the flu or at least getting flu-like symptoms.

The state Department of Health says there’s been a spike in the past few weeks of respiratory illnesses, which include the flu. Even if you’ve taken the flu shot, you’re still susceptible to getting the influenza virus which causes the flu.
    http://khon2.com/2016/03/16/doctors-...ess-flu-cases/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    the flu vaccine did not include the variant of the flu that is now spreading.

it never will.. RNA viruses like the flu mutate at much higher rates and are much more difficult to vaccinate against. honestly it is pretty unlikely that this could ever work.. DNA viruses are much easier to develop a vaccine for.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    it never will.. RNA viruses like the flu mutate at much higher rates and are much more difficult to vaccinate against. honestly it is pretty unlikely that this could ever work.. DNA viruses are much easier to develop a vaccine for.
    But there's a global organization that takes a wild ass guess at what will happen next year, specifies a few variants for the next year's vaccine, and the vaccine industry produces the annual vaccine which the media and medical industry tells everyone they should get. How could that fail?

But there's a global organization that takes a wild ass guess at what will happen next year, specifies a few variants for the next year's vaccine, and the vaccine industry produces the annual vaccine which the media and medical industry tells everyone they should get. How could that fail?
    LOL.. thats the funniest part.. they should know that there is no way they are giving anyone the proper immunity.. any sophomore molecular bio major could tell you that.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    LOL.. thats the funniest part.. they should know that there is no way they are giving anyone the proper immunity.. any sophomore molecular bio major could tell you that.
    Close enough for government work...

Woman near me died from the flu this week. She was in her thirties and ate right and exercised six days a week. Found it:

http://www.cw6sandiego.com/flu-victi...-take-anybody/

Local flu victim’s family: “Flu doesn’t discriminate. It will take anybody.”

SAN DIEGO — The San Diego County Health and Human Services agency just reported 15 new flu-related deaths, bringing the season’s total to 41.

On Thursday night, hear the exclusive story of one victim who does not fit the typical profile of someone who would die from the flu.

A healthy 35-year-old woman who worked out, ate right, and was the picture of perfect health, was overcome by the virus and died unexpectedly last week. She is one of six recent flu death victims who had no underlying conditions.

CW6’s Laura Cavanaugh shares her exclusive story and an important warning from her loved ones: “Flu doesn’t discriminate. It will take anybody.”
    She worked as a hygenist for the same dentist I go to.

It is true that the flu vaccine cannot protect against every variation of the flu virus (there are thousands). Even if the vaccine was 100% effective against the ones it was designed for, there is always a newer version which pops up it wasn't designed to combat. If you were exposed to one variation of the flu, you have immunity against it. When a new one hits you, you may get sick from it. Getting a flu vaccine does not mean you cannot catch the flu.

Since the vaccine does not cover all strains, there will always be a strain not in the vaccine which is able to spread.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-18-2016 at 10:14 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Spanish flu? More:

According to the CDC, the most common strain of the virus spreading around the country this year is a H1N1.

"It's the strain from 2009," said Epps. "That's when healthy young adults were getting sick and having complications."

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Woman near me died from the flu this week. She was in her thirties and ate right and exercised six days a week. Found it:

Probably cytokine storm, possibly SIRS.

The number of hits for "flu" on Google (news) has increased today, just within the past 12 hours.

One example:
    Following 'humongous' increase in patients with flu-like symptoms, officials say get vaccinated
    http://www.southernminn.com/northfie...d6e1293e6.html

This is why I have stocks of Tamiflu, and anyone with access should do the same.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

It is true that the flu vaccine cannot protect against every variation of the flu virus (there are thousands). Even if the vaccine was 100% effective against the ones it was designed for, there is always a newer version which pops up it wasn't designed to combat. If you were exposed to one variation of the flu, you have immunity against it. When a new one hits you, you may get sick from it. Getting a flu vaccine does not mean you cannot catch the flu.

Since the vaccine does not cover all strains, there will always be a strain not in the vaccine which is able to spread.
    I think the best anti-viral defense of the flu is adequate iodine in the body. It is preferable to me than some aluminum containing flu shot

Umm actually, this years flu vaccine is one of the more effective ones. http://www.inquisitr.com/2835403/201...t-of-patients/

I got hit with the flu BAD this year. I'm on day 8 of recovery and still really messed up. I have decided that I will start getting the flu vaccine every year from now on. This $#@! is ridiculous.

Seriously what is up with the title of this thread? Posted by a moderator no less? It's completely false.... is this place really spreading some idiotic anti-science agenda now?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Umm actually, this years flu vaccine is one of the more effective ones. http://www.inquisitr.com/2835403/201...t-of-patients/

I got hit with the flu BAD this year. I'm on day 8 of recovery and still really messed up. I have decided that I will start getting the flu vaccine every year from now on. This $#@! is ridiculous.
    Yes. I think that people over use the word "flu" as in "I missed work because I had a stomach flu," which means that when people get the real flu it doesn't sound as serious to the ear.

A real flu savages you.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Seriously what is up with the title of this thread? Posted by a moderator no less? It's completely false.... is this place really spreading some idiotic anti-science agenda now?
    The title is hyperbole. As Kotin added, a fully effective flu vaccine is nearly impossible as the flu virus constantly mutates. My point is that people who got the vaccine are still getting the flu this year. The theory is that they might get a less severe case due to the vaccine, but that is also problematic. If the vaccine is a good match for the flu virus going around, then it can be effective. Not a good match this year.

As far as government statistics go, they may be good for year to year comparisons, but they are in no way "scientific", as they don't take into account many variables. It simply looks at number of vaccinations vs. number of confirmed flu cases. It's like measuring the effectiveness of Homeland Security based on how many confirmed terrorist attacks occur.

Sorry, the vaccine wouldn't have prevented it this year. And your government statistic will be changing before this season is over.

Sorry, the vaccine wouldn't have prevented it this year. And your government statistic will be changing before this season is over.
    You have no evidence to support your contention, and your prediction is not evidence. Brandon' position is indeed backed by evidence.

In the least, the thread title should be edited to indicate [Disputed].

Wash hands frequently. Keep high-touch surfaces clean. Get plenty of rest. Stay away from sick people. Common sense. I have never had flu in my life.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    You have no evidence to support your contention, and your prediction is not evidence. Brandon' position is indeed backed by evidence.

In the least, the thread title should be edited to indicate [Disputed].
    I am not an anti-vaxxer, but I am not impressed by government statistics and medical industry sales pitches either. The truth is far more complex than "hey look, less people went the hospital with the flu this year so we did a great job!"

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Wash hands frequently. Keep high-touch surfaces clean. Get plenty of rest. Stay away from sick people. Common sense. I have never had flu in my life.
    Colds and flush are mostly airborne. Hand washing is not a bad thing, but it won't stop colds and flus.

Edit: Hand washing is great for preventing food borne and gastrointestinal illnesses.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 03-19-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Those germs land somewhere. They get on hands that then touch doorknobs, railings, etc. Flu viruses can live on paper money for up to three days.

Stay away from sick people.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

"hey look, less people went the hospital with the flu this year so we did a great job!"
    DO you really think that is how they evaluate effectiveness of the flu vaccine?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am not an anti-vaxxer, but I am not impressed by government statistics and medical industry sales pitches either. The truth is far more complex than "hey look, less people went the hospital with the flu this year so we did a great job!"
    Your opinion of the evidence does not mean it isn't evidence. Your title says that the flu vaccine is not a good match for this years strain, but you have not presented any evidence to support that contention,

Brandon pointed out that the government says that the vaccine is 60% effective this year and provided evidence to support that contention. Therefore, the title sold be modified to indicate [Disputed.]

But there's a global organization that takes a wild ass guess ....
    Uh, no. They do make a guess but it's an educated guess, based on an analysis of all available evidence.

DO you really think that is how they evaluate effectiveness of the flu vaccine?
    Pretty much. For example, they vaccinate for H1N1, then they compare that to confirmed cases of H1N1 and whether they were vaccinated or not. It's a statistic, but it's not scientific by any measure. Far too many variables. This is the real world, not a controled laboratory experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Uh, no. They do make a guess but it's an educated guess, based on an analysis of all available evidence.
    I am well aware of how the process works, and both the value and shortcomings of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    I think the best anti-viral defense of the flu is adequate iodine in the body. It is preferable to me than some aluminum containing flu shot
    Flu shot does not use any aluminum adjuvant. You are safe on that. You will get exposed to more aluminum by eating food. Only ones in the US which use it are the hepatitis and diptheria vaccines.

The act of throwing three flat stones into the river every fortnight at midnight can definitively claim:

That it is effective against catching the flu.

Or, that it reduced the voracity of the flu if someone did catch it.

You people that reject midnight stone throwing are anti-science.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast