Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2022 College Football Thread

Coming up tonight ( the real Cowboys team ) we have Boise St - Wyoming .
    Do something Danke

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nebraska beat Iowa today and ended a seven year losing streak to the Hawkeyes. If Nebraska keeps Mickey Joseph as head coach I see a bright future for the Cornhuskers.

Great Nebraska hired Matt Rhule as head coach. The guy was fired as coach of Carolina Panthers earlier this year. I'm sure all the Husker fans are drinking the Kool-Aid. I hope I'm wrong, but this guy looks like a Bill Callahan 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by mtr1979 View Post
    Great Nebraska hired Matt Rhule as head coach. The guy was fired as coach of Carolina Panthers earlier this year. I'm sure all the Husker fans are drinking the Kool-Aid. I hope I'm wrong, but this guy looks like a Bill Callahan 2.0.
    To an 8 yr deal . Why would anyone do that ?
    Do something Danke

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    That is the $64,000 question. Or in Nebraska's case the multi million dollar question. Nebraska has been making bad decisions since 2003 when they fired Frank Solich. Along the way we have paid millions in buyouts. All with the help of taxpayer dollars.
    https://www.outkick.com/nebraska-cor...y-scott-frost/

That is the $64,000 question. Or in Nebraska's case the multi million dollar question. Nebraska has been making bad decisions since 2003 when they fired Frank Solich. Along the way we have paid millions in buyouts. All with the help of taxpayer dollars.
    https://www.outkick.com/nebraska-cor...y-scott-frost/

Technically taxpayers didn't pay for the buyout. Athletic departments at big schools are self funded by the football and basketball programs.

But I don't understand how coaches like Matt Rhule get anointed as being great. He had a couple of 10 win seasons at Temple and an 11 win season at Baylor. But mostly losing seasons at second tier programs and a disaster in the pros. Mel Tucker, Matt Campbell, Dave Aranda, Brady Hoke, etc got big contracts and I don't get it. They were all the shiny object after one winning year.

On the other side of the spectrum you have top tier coaches like Harbaugh who almost got fired because fans are buffoons. Gus Malzahn did a good job and got fired. Mark Richt got fired after doing an amazing job at Georgia. Frank Solich was a pretty good coach and he was relegated to coaching at a lower tier MAC school.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Technically taxpayers didn't pay for the buyout. Athletic departments at big schools are self funded by the football and basketball programs.

But I don't understand how coaches like Matt Rhule get anointed as being great. He had a couple of 10 win seasons at Temple and an 11 win season at Baylor. But mostly losing seasons at second tier programs and a disaster in the pros. Mel Tucker, Matt Campbell, Dave Aranda, Brady Hoke, etc got big contracts and I don't get it. They were all the shiny object after one winning year.

On the other side of the spectrum you have top tier coaches like Harbaugh who almost got fired because fans are buffoons. Gus Malzahn did a good job and got fired. Mark Richt got fired after doing an amazing job at Georgia. Frank Solich was a pretty good coach and he was relegated to coaching at a lower tier MAC school.
    Yeah you are correct taxpayers do not pay for buyouts. My research has shown me that taxpayer money does in fact pay for the base salary of the coach which in most cases is a small percentage of their total salary package.

Speaking of dumb a$$ fans Nebraska has an abundance of them. Fans were calling for Pelini's head because his worst season was only 9 wins. Pelini actually called Nebraska fans out.
    https://deadspin.com/bo-pelini-on-ne...l-o-1327398903

As Nebraska fan I find this hilarious. I actually welcome terrible seasons because you are able to see who the real fans are.

The Big Ten is still a minefield even though a lot of teams not looking so hot early on. It doesn't seem inconceivable to me that both OSU and Michigan can be playoff teams.
    This somehow happened.

Looks like Geogia vs Ohio State and Michigan vs TCU in the playoffs. I see Georgia vs Michigan in the championship with Georgia winning it all.
    Something doesn't seen right with TCU making the playoff. In my opinion if you lose the conference championship game you should be out. Then again I'm glad they didn't just give it to some SEC team.

The FCS playoff have been going on. Here are next weeks matxhups.
    South Dakota State vs Holy Cross
    William and Mary vs Montana St.
    North Dakota St. Vs Samford
    UIW vs Sacramento St.

This somehow happened.
    I never really doubted it would . Figure there can only be a couple no loss teams and both those teams at undefeated or one loss are better than everyone but Georgia easily.
    Do something Danke

In my opinion if you lose the conference championship game you should be out.
    Who else should be in besides TCU? Neither Ohio State nor Alabama even played in its conference championship, and everybody else had more than one loss. The Frogs should have won but Duggan was just too gassed for the coaches to call his number.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123