Thread: Ron Paul on Front Page of New York Times Today

Thumbs up Ron Paul on Front Page of New York Times Today

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Anybody find it haunting that an article that lends credibility to Paul is adjacent to two headline articles on American deaths in Afghanistan and increasing Iraqi violence against Christians? (Both topics he's addressed to a significant extent)

MILTON FRIEDMAN: "We do not influence the course of events by persuading people that we are right when we make what they regard as radical proposals. Rather, we exert influence by keeping options available when something has to be done at a time of crisis."
    TACITUS: "Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."
    TEAM AMERICA: "America, FUCK YEAH!"
    ENGINEERNJ: "You've got one 75-year-old man trying to keep 300 million people from going down the toilet."

Very nice. Bit peeved that it's saying that Ron Paul wants to return to the gold standard(he doesn't, he wants competing currencies), but this is a common misconception that is hard to explain to those not learned much on economics and currency.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

Woot! I'd seen the article, but didn't know it was front page!

Thanks!

Too bad it is designed to be divisive - to splinter off other conservatives and even Rand's supporters (by pretending Ron is hogging the spotlight). They are subtly hammering on all the themes they used to try to divide Rand from his supporters. Hopefully they will be 'as effective'.

Quote Originally Posted by Vessol View Post
    Very nice. Bit peeved that it's saying that Ron Paul wants to return to the gold standard(he doesn't, he wants competing currencies), but this is a common misconception that is hard to explain to those not learned much on economics and currency.
    Uh, yeah, and they say Austrian economics is 'magical thinking' to marginalize it.... they are DEFINITELY trying to instill preconceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Uh, yeah, and they say Austrian economics is 'magical thinking' to marginalize it.... they are DEFINITELY trying to instill preconceptions.
    Yeah I noticed that too. Extremely one sided view on Austrian economics to make it sound kooky and strange.

But, any press is good press. Having Ron Paul's name on the front page of a major international newspaper is going to at least catch peoples attention.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

“We are grateful to the Washington Post, the New York Times, Time Magazine, and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years…It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subjected to the lights of publicity during those years. But, the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries.”

- David Rockefeller, Bilderberg meeting, June 1991, Baden, Germany.
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This further proves Ron Paul can no longer be ignored. The front page is a big deal.

However, it's frustrating the article was crafted with intention to undermine Ron. The main photo was likely selected to portray him as an outcast--sitting awkwardly and alone in the room. Many statements about Ron's philosophy were without any explanation. There was a clear bias against Austrian economics. The former Fed governor made an unsubstantiated attack on Ron Paul's knowledge of economics. No quote from a free-market economist for balance. No mention of Ron's extensive work in economics or him correctly predicting the housing bubble.

Perhaps most shameful is the predictable remark on his no vote for a Congressional Medal of Honor for Mother Theresa WITHOUT explanation. I think most people would commend his justification and proposed alternative means of funding for it.

I really respect how humble and dignified Ron is. I just wish he would stop downplaying his influence and shed the "fighting a losing battle" attitude. Ron is not a Ross Perot or Ralph Nader type of candidate. He can be a major player.

Perhaps most promising are the reader comments, most of which express support for Ron.
    Last edited by Dissident; 05-18-2012 at 05:48 PM.

I notice also the article says RP got less than 2% of the vote. Do they mean in New York? Because I thought he got a good deal more than 2% of the vote nationally. This might be another attempt to marginalize him.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    I notice also the article says RP got less than 2% of the vote. Do they mean in New York? Because I thought he got a good deal more than 2% of the vote nationally. This might be another attempt to marginalize him.
    Per ballot access he got 5.6%

I have another thread with the link.

This article is nothing less than an attempt to marginalize RP and his views.
    "The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." - J. Edgar Hoover