Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's going on in your shop?

Have a new exhaust waiting to go on the motorcycle. And it needs an oil change. Nothing major.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I need to clean mine up again....the cobs have been running amok in there! Wish they ate sawdust and metal filings....

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I fabricated a support assembly for a former water bed which we replaced with a hybrid mattress after our 23 year old WB sprung a leak. And I finished a dolly for a neat little mobility scooter. It is quiet, supports the rear wheels should they go flat, and I can stand on it and ride.
    First thing I have done in there in a couple of years. Forgot how much fun it is.

Just did rear brakes. Jack stands on gravel outdoor. 20F snowing.

Powerstop slotted/drilled rotors
    Bosch Pads
    Rebuilt my callipers; wire wheel, all new rubbers in and out, silicone and copper lube where applicable, new slide pins, new bolts

Elapsed <3 hours

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I built a trailer for an electric mobility scooter to allow for the transport of another adult or a heavy package.

Sandblasting a 1969 CST. Just finished restoring a plow and mounting it on my 1970 GMC 2500 4x4. Just wrapped up putting new heads on a 2000 Yukon that had a bad head gasket. Replaced the heads, lifters, rocker arms, knock sensors. Vehicle runs perfect now. Going to replace the thermostat housing on a 2001 Cadillac tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    I built a trailer for an electric mobility scooter to allow for the transport of another adult or a heavy package.
    Pretty cool. You should post some pics. I had to do some carpentry the last coupla days. Replacing the stacked washer so had to expand the space for new side by side units. Had to knock out a wall to a adjoining closet and expand the adjoining closet 6" to march. Don't know why it wasn't simply the same dimensions to begin with. Worst part of the job was finding wood and stain to match. Had to use T&G 1"x 6". Lowes, Home Depot and 84 lumber only had "V" grove which didn't match in this old cabin. Did track some straight T&G at a local sawmill. Matching/mixing stain was like a mad chemist project. Got it close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Pretty cool. You should post some pics. I had to do some carpentry the last coupla days. Replacing the stacked washer so had to expand the space for new side by side units. Had to knock out a wall to a adjoining closet and expand the adjoining closet 6" to march. Don't know why it wasn't simply the same dimensions to begin with. Worst part of the job was finding wood and stain to match. Had to use T&G 1"x 6". Lowes, Home Depot and 84 lumber only had "V" grove which didn't match in this old cabin. Did track some straight T&G at a local sawmill. Matching/mixing stain was like a mad chemist project. Got it close enough.
    I tried to post a clip but couldn't get it to post

Everyone should post pics!
    I got my saw back together, but I'm looking for a motor. Wait till you see the shaved-ape work I did to get this thing running...
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Last big project was front axle u-joints/spindle needle bearings/hub roller bearings and all seals on the '93 F150.

Took longer heating/cutting with the hot wrench and cleaning all the surfaces than actually doing the job.

With ruined u-joints, like these were, it is much quicker to just burn the center spider out and then hammer out the cups rather than use a press or vise.

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-23-2016 at 11:59 AM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am working on a deer hanging thingy , It is done but I need to angle the ends more . So Am just going to heat it up and pound it on an anvil .
    Do something Danke

All these years had just been using a sharpened stick the Mrs made .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I am working on a deer hanging thingy , It is done but I need to angle the ends more . So Am just going to heat it up and pound it on an anvil .
    I'm cheapo 1/2 ton chain hoist attached to the rafters and 3/4 iron pipe spreader bar w/ some welded rings in that department. Gets it done.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

So this is the saw from the back. The original 1hp that came with it had gritty bearings, and I haven't ordered more because I've heard too many reports of that 1hp motor not having enough ass.
    So I put one of my treadmill motors on there.....

...But I don't have a proper controller as it's a brushed DC motor. So...

First thing is to rip out a microwave transformer and rewind the secondary so it steps down to about 47vac, which will make this ~6000rpm motor run at about 3500 after it's rectified...

...Then rectify and smooth with a giant and dangerous capacitor, and add a giant flyback diode so nothing gets fried from back EMF from the motor when it gets shut off.

This has been an object lesson in why electronics are as complicated as they are. This *does* work, and I made the sled you see, along with a bunch of tenons, with this setup. But the problem is the motor is only running at half speed (that's why I stepped down the AC), and with it being a fixed voltage, it gets bogged down pretty easily. Like, I have to crawl through 1/2" plywood.

I already started soldering together a PWM circuit based on a 555 timer, which will drive a giant MOSFET, but the problem is I really need a hall effect sensor on the pulley, and I need to feed that into an Arduino, and I need to write code to detect the sensor input, sense when it's lagging, and adjust the MOSFET square wave on the fly so that I can pump the voltage up (it'll run for at least short bursts at *162* volts!) and get the 1.75hp this motor is supposed to be delivering.

None of that bull$#@! cuts any wood though, which is why I got this off of CL:

Which I got hooked up to my 220 outlet and got running, but before I could even get a full erection, I got treated to a fantastic blue light show, and got to smell burning enamel the whole time I was bumbling out of my dark shop.

So if anyone knows how I can get a 2+hp 3450 induction motor that isn't going to fry itself in 60 seconds or less for under $100, I'd really like to know... because it'll save me having to learn more electronics. It's neat, but it's not really plan A.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Holy sheep $#@! fish, why are you trying to re-invent the wheel here?

1.5 HP (3 HP max rpm developed) 120VAC 3450 RPM electric motor all wired up and ready to plug into standard outlet, designed for Craftsman table saw, on ebay for $125.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/craftsman-table-saw-motor

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    So this is the saw from the back. The original 1hp that came with it had gritty bearings, and I haven't ordered more because I've heard too many reports of that 1hp motor not having enough ass.
    So I put one of my treadmill motors on there.....

...But I don't have a proper controller as it's a brushed DC motor. So...

First thing is to rip out a microwave transformer and rewind the secondary so it steps down to about 47vac, which will make this ~6000rpm motor run at about 3500 after it's rectified...

...Then rectify and smooth with a giant and dangerous capacitor, and add a giant flyback diode so nothing gets fried from back EMF from the motor when it gets shut off.

This has been an object lesson in why electronics are as complicated as they are. This *does* work, and I made the sled you see, along with a bunch of tenons, with this setup. But the problem is the motor is only running at half speed (that's why I stepped down the AC), and with it being a fixed voltage, it gets bogged down pretty easily. Like, I have to crawl through 1/2" plywood.

I already started soldering together a PWM circuit based on a 555 timer, which will drive a giant MOSFET, but the problem is I really need a hall effect sensor on the pulley, and I need to feed that into an Arduino, and I need to write code to detect the sensor input, sense when it's lagging, and adjust the MOSFET square wave on the fly so that I can pump the voltage up (it'll run for at least short bursts at *162* volts!) and get the 1.75hp this motor is supposed to be delivering.

None of that bull$#@! cuts any wood though, which is why I got this off of CL:

Which I got hooked up to my 220 outlet and got running, but before I could even get a full erection, I got treated to a fantastic blue light show, and got to smell burning enamel the whole time I was bumbling out of my dark shop.

So if anyone knows how I can get a 2+hp 3450 induction motor that isn't going to fry itself in 60 seconds or less for under $100, I'd really like to know... because it'll save me having to learn more electronics. It's neat, but it's not really plan A.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-23-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Or if you insist on a 220VAC single phase 3 HP motor...a little over your budget but less than you will spend in aggravation trying to wire a DC motor up to give you the performance you want.

Brand new $189

3 HP Horse Power 1 PH Single Phase Heavy Duty Electric Compressor Motor 10698252
    56 Frame , 3440 RPM , 15 AMPS , 115 / 208-230 VOLT 3440 RPM

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/3-hp-compressor-motor

I just go to Tractor Supply for motors when I'm servicing the local's farm equipment. Whatever size you need is on the shelf, plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Holy sheep $#@! fish, why are you trying to re-invent the wheel here?
    I told ya why... because when I cobble some Frankenstein $#@! together with bailing wire and chewing gum it works, even if badly, and when I just try to buy the thing I need I get treated to a fireworks show and I'm out a hundred bucks.
    I can't really dump another two hundred into this because I get really close to the "I should have just saved up and bought a good working saw" kind of money.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've been busy as heck building knives. This holiday season has been especially hectic. Here is a small sample of some the work I do in my shop.I already had most of the tools, except for a few. I built a propane forge a few years back and bought a knife grinder. I normalize, heat treat and temper all my blades. I stabilize my wood scales and make my own micata and mosaic pins. This is my new passion. That has been one of the reasons I haven't been posting.

I hope you all are well and have a blessed Christmass.

On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Nice knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    I've been busy as heck building knives. This holiday season has been especially hectic. Here is a small sample of some the work I do in my shop.I already had most of the tools, except for a few. I built a propane forge a few years back and bought a knife grinder. I normalize, heat treat and temper all my blades. I stabilize my wood scales and make my own micata and mosaic pins. This is my new passion. That has been one of the reasons I haven't been posting.

I submit you have passed that point already...

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I told ya why... because when I cobble some Frankenstein $#@! together with bailing wire and chewing gum it works, even if badly, and when I just try to buy the thing I need I get treated to a fireworks show and I'm out a hundred bucks.
    I can't really dump another two hundred into this because I get really close to the "I should have just saved up and bought a good working saw" kind of money.

I've been busy as heck building knives.
    Sweet!

Setting up a forge and building knives, swords actually, is on my life to do list.

Can't tell you how many hours I have into watching youtubes and history channel episodes on forging.

I have enough carpentry experience; estwing sing behind me to know I'd be pretty decent on an anvil.
    Last edited by presence; 12-24-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Sweet!

Setting up a forge and building knives, swords actually, is on my life to do list.

Can't tell you how many hours I have into watching youtubes and history channel episodes on forging.

I have enough carpentry experience; estwing sing behind me to know I'd be pretty decent on an anvil.
    It's a good thing that I am retired, I told my wife that if I had discovered building knives earlier in my life, that is what I would have done for a living. There is something primal about the whole process. Once you get the knife building bug, there is no cure. I remember one episode of "Forged in Fire" where one of the Smiths said, "I don't need to build knives, I have to". That about sums it up. I look forward to hearing about your progress when you get started Presence.

Yesterday, I spent the day making Micarta and mosaic pins. With the holiday rush, I didn't have a lot of time to do the peripheral stuff and was getting pretty low on stock. Caught up now.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Wow, those are nice. My #2 son loves knives. The kid always has a knife handy. On Christmas morning, my husband was having trouble opening a box and my son whipped a big ass knife out of his pj's. o_O

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I am planing on doing an Ikea hack I saw on pinterest.

Before...
    crappy Rast dresser

after
    neat looking chest

This is what I'm going for but I'm going to stain mine a dark wood color all over. I want these to put on either side of the sofa in the family room because of the storage - our dvd's are out of control. I have one in the attic but I'll have to buy another one to match. I figure, I'll do the one I already have and see how it turns out before I buy one. If I like it, I'll run into Atlanta one day pick up another - they're only 35.00. Hobby Lobby has the handles on sale for 2.00 each and I already have the stain so the whole project should come in under 70.00 for two nice chests.

All you do to get the look is router two lines in all the drawers. I should be able to handle that with supervision. More than likely, I'll pull everything out and Mr Animal will do it for me if I promise to keep him company and not stick anything in his butt hole whilst he's trying to work. I think I can control myself, he can't concentrate while he's clenched and I want my tables to look nice.

Edited to add - here's a better example of what I have in mind.

Hobby Lobby handles I want.

Last edited by Suzanimal; 12-29-2016 at 06:44 AM.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Last big project was front axle u-joints/spindle needle bearings/hub roller bearings and all seals on the '93 F150.

Took longer heating/cutting with the hot wrench and cleaning all the surfaces than actually doing the job.

With ruined u-joints, like these were, it is much quicker to just burn the center spider out and then hammer out the cups rather than use a press or vise.
    Mr Animal upgraded the suspension in the Beemer last month. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but the ball joint thingies (I don't think that's the technical name) were a pain in the ass. The puller he had didn't work with them so we went to Advance to buy one and found out they let you borrow them for free. We just had to give them a credit card that they would charge the amount to (250.00) if we didn't return them in a month.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A little while back I put rebuilt heads on a 2000 Yukon. My son is driving that vehicle now. At the time I replaced the Knock Sensors with OEM replacement and also replaced the wiring harness. A knock sensor code popped up after a couple hundred miles. Today we are going to replace that knock sensor again and put another wiring harness on.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I am planing on doing an Ikea hack I saw on pinterest.

Before...
    crappy Rast dresser

after
    neat looking chest

This is what I'm going for but I'm going to stain mine a dark wood color all over. I want these to put on either side of the sofa in the family room because of the storage - our dvd's are out of control. I have one in the attic but I'll have to buy another one to match. I figure, I'll do the one I already have and see how it turns out before I buy one. If I like it, I'll run into Atlanta one day pick up another - they're only 35.00. Hobby Lobby has the handles on sale for 2.00 each and I already have the stain so the whole project should come in under 70.00 for two nice chests.

All you do to get the look is router two lines in all the drawers. I should be able to handle that with supervision. More than likely, I'll pull everything out and Mr Animal will do it for me if I promise to keep him company and not stick anything in his butt hole whilst he's trying to work. I think I can control myself, he can't concentrate while he's clenched and I want my tables to look nice.

Edited to add - here's a better example of what I have in mind.

Hobby Lobby handles I want.

Please post some pics when you are finished. I'd rep you, but I'm out.
    On Trump:

Play lefty, maybe?

Those are some seriously nice blades!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast