Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitcoin Cracks $5000

Dang. At last, a thread on which both extremes are stupid and I'm a *gasp* moderate. I like Doug Casey's take on this quite a lot:

https://www.caseyresearch.com/doug-c...-love-bitcoin/
    Bitcoin is up 495% this year. Ethereum, another major cryptocurrency, is up 3,507% since the start of the year. Smaller cryptos have soared more than 10,000%.
    When you see gains like that, it’s natural to think that you missed out. I even felt this way for the longest time…that is, until I talked to Doug Casey.
    You see, a few weeks ago, I called Doug to see what he thinks about cryptos. He told me why Bitcoin is money. He told me why the crypto market’s about to get a lot bigger. He even told me why Bitcoin could soon hit $50,000… That’s eight times higher than where it trades today.
    After that conversation, I became convinced that cryptos are the real deal. I even just bought some Bitcoin myself.
    Of course, I realize that not everyone’s got a legendary speculator on speed dial. So over the next two days, I’m sharing a brand-new essay from Doug. In it, he explains why the crypto boom has a long way to go.

By Doug Casey, founder, Casey Research
    In this article, I’d like to explain how I learned to love Bitcoin. Why it’s a wonderful thing. Its potential as a speculation. How the government is going to co-opt it. And how this is all likely to end.
    I was first introduced to Bitcoin several years ago in Cafayate, Argentina. A young Belgian guy came to visit, I bought him lunch, and we discussed Bitcoin. He was a very early enthusiast. He gave me a physical Bitcoin as a souvenir. They’re now collectibles, but the digital codes are inscribed on them. I still have that Bitcoin. It was worth $13 at the time.
    I wish I had listened to his argument more carefully, because I could have made millions. Over 300-1 over just a few years… that’s rare indeed. I was inclined towards it philosophically, but outsmarted myself on an investment level. Because Bitcoin was pitched to me as an alternative currency, and I failed to see all of its advantages in that role.
    My original objection was that Bitcoin isn’t backed by anything. It’s really a private fiat currency. It’s very much like the Zambian Kwacha, the Argentine peso, the US dollar, or any of the other 150-plus currencies in today’s world. It’s a floating abstraction. Unlike state currencies, though, its acceptance isn’t enforced by laws. But, on the other hand, its quantity is limited. But would that be enough to get large amounts of people to use it as a currency?
    I missed something when I said, back then, that it had no value. It’s a fiat currency, yes, but it has much more practical value than any other.

A currency has to be a good medium of exchange, and a store of value. Even a few years ago, both of those things were wild speculations when it came to Bitcoin. I tried to analyze the situation rationally, using Aristotle’s five characteristics of a good money.
    Aristotle defined the five characteristics of good money in the 4th century BC. And his analysis is as accurate now as it was then. It must be durable, divisible, convenient, consistent, and have use value in and of itself. Based on that, Aristotle believed gold and silver were best suited for use as money. Let’s analyze how Bitcoin does by these five criteria.
    Durable. Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are definitely durable—unless we have a major electromagnetic pulse (EMP) or a significant solar flare that wipes out all the computers. Bitcoins are not as durable as the metals, but they’re adequate, barring a collapse of civilization.
    Divisible. Bitcoin is infinitely divisible. Better than the physical metals, actually—although the metals can be accounted in tiny fractions too.
    Convenient. Yes—as long as you have a smartphone, Bitcoin is very convenient. But your smartphone, or something like it, may not always be with you. And your counterparty also has to have one. And it’s not very convenient if someone doesn’t know or trust Bitcoin. Right now, that’s still probably 98% of humanity.
    Consistent. Absolutely. Every Bitcoin is exactly like another one. It’s at least as good as .999 fine gold that way.
    The problem I had with Bitcoin was the fifth point: Does it have use value in itself, so you can’t get stuck holding the bag?
    If you have a million US paper dollars, and nobody accepts them, they have no use in and of themselves—except as wall decorations or kindling. They’re just unsecured liabilities of a bankrupt government. In essence like a million Zimbabwe dollars, although there’s obviously a continuum. Fiat currencies can be easily destroyed by their issuers. The things are burning matches. They have half-lives, like radioactive elements.
    Sure, there were advantages to Bitcoin being a privately issued fiat currency. But I didn’t see its real use value; that’s where I went wrong.
    Bitcoin is certainly a fiat currency like the dollar or the Kwacha. But it’s also an excellent transfer device. You can move wealth from one country to another, or to another person, quickly and privately. I’d say secretly, but you’re not supposed to say “secret” anymore, you can only say “private.” Part of the politically correct corruption of language, I might add.
    And you can do so outside of the banking system, which is increasingly important. If you use Bitcoin, you don’t need a bank to store your money.

Cryptocurrencies, like Bitcoins, are just the first, and most obvious, application of blockchain technology. Hopefully, among other things, blockchain and Bitcoin are going to destroy the SWIFT system, the vehicle for wiring money from one bank to another. SWIFT is expensive (at least $50-100 per transaction), slow (generally a day or two, sometimes a week or more), and insecure (who trusts either big banks or the US Government?). And SWIFT requires that all dollars clear through New York; non-Americans don’t care for that. SWIFT is used by thousands of banks around the world to send payment instructions worth trillions of dollars each day. Incidentally, it's not that I'm against SWIFT itself. It's just that it's become a creature of the banks—who abuse it and are actually responsible for its problems.
    So, this is one big use value of Bitcoin. It allows you to transfer something that is accepted as money outside of the banking system, and outside of government fiat currencies.
    Bitcoin is well on the way to being accepted as money. I think it will succeed.
    What is money? Money is a medium of exchange and a store of value. Almost anything can be used as money. Some things are just much better than others.
    Salt, seashells, and cows have all historically been used as money. After all, the word pecuniary comes from the Latin pecus, which means cow. And salary comes from the Latin sal, which is salt. Wampum were seashells. Cigarettes are money in prisons and war zones. Even giant Yap island discs have been used as money.
    Bitcoin is becoming more and more accepted as a medium of exchange, while most government fiat currencies approach their intrinsic values—essentially zero.
    Bitcoin is a bit more problematic as a store of value. Once again, let’s get back to the basics. You’ve got two kinds of currencies: commodity currencies and fiat currencies.
    The commodity currencies are actual physical commodities. You know they have use value. Fiat currencies, on the other hand, are just made up. They’re totally arbitrary and political.
    It’s like that old joke about sardines. You’ve got eating sardines and trading sardines. Commodity currencies are eating sardines. Fiat currencies are trading sardines. Of course, there’s no guarantee that Bitcoin is going to be accepted a year or two from now. It’s a high tech innovation, and maybe a Version 2.0 will collapse the value of the current version. So in a few years, we may find that Bitcoin fails the store of value test. But it’s accepted at the moment. And it’s been growing in value at a crazy rate—unlike fiat currencies, which have all been falling against real goods and services at about 5-10% a year. Incidentally, I don’t put much faith in the accuracy of government inflation figures.
    Bitcoin has been a great speculation so far. But as a store of value? Bitcoin is a technological innovation. There likely will be Bitcoin 2.0 and 3.0, not to mention other, even more advanced cryptos. What will the current Bitcoin then be worth? There’s a reason the expression “High tech, big wreck” is true. Just because so far it’s been a great speculation, doesn’t mean it’s a good store of value. Technology, a solar flare, or even government action could wipe it out.
    The bottom line? Bitcoin passes the medium of exchange test for the moment and store of value test for the moment. So you can definitely say it’s money—for the moment. But so does the Argentine peso, for the moment. I have little confidence, however, Bitcoin will be here, say, five years from now. Buying cryptos is not like socking away gold coins.
    The $64 question is: Where are we in the market cycle for cryptos? Clearly, we’re no longer early in the game. It’s like getting into the Internet stocks back in 1998—they weren’t cheap, but the bubble got much, much bigger. And the Internet—contrary to what people like Paul Krugman thought—was not itself a bubble. Up till now, the only way to play this has been the coins, the tokens, like Bitcoin. There are perhaps a thousand of them out there now, and most of them are garbage.
    Because I think the bubble will get much bigger, I’m getting involved in these cryptocurrencies on several levels. Including public mining companies, which is not germane to this article. I’m trying to make the trend my friend. But cautiously, because there’s a lot of speculation going on.
    I am concerned about the market, which is very bubbly. But I think it’s going much higher, for several reasons. One, as we discussed, is that some of the cryptos have great utility, and only about 25 million out of the 7 billion people in the world currently own them. I promise you that five years from now that number will be more like three billion. They’re going to get much bigger in the developed world, but even bigger in the Third World.
    Regards,

Doug Casey
    Founder, Casey Research
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Dang. At last, a thread on which both extremes are stupid and I'm a *gasp* moderate. I like Doug Casey's take on this quite a lot:

https://www.caseyresearch.com/doug-c...-love-bitcoin/
    Bitcoin is money. I don't see how you can say the contrary and stay intellectually honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Yeah. That is the exact comparison I have in my mind.

Why would you put internet bubble in quotes? It WAS a bubble. It did pop. Amazon WAS a bubble. Bitcoin IS a bubble. There is NEVER a reason to sit through 40% correction in anything let alone a 95% correction in Amazon. Ever. You think George Soros rides out 50-80% drops in anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Amazon was about $4.50 some time in 1999, if you bought in and took some profits up at around $100 in 2000 before it popped, then it went back down to $15, and you bought more or held on, it would now be worth over $1,000. That's a pretty good investment, a lot better than a typical mutual fund. Even better than LTC meteoric rise so far which went from around $4 to $400 recently (and has pulled back a bit, but still over $250). Sure it would have been great to do something else with your money from 2000 - 2008, but if you didn't get back in to amazon in time you would have missed it..

Sure, hindsight is great, if you could have sold it all at $100 and waited till it dipped to $15 to buy back in that would have been even better, but to say "oh it's a bubble, I'm going to completely avoid this investment" essentially thinking you know what the market price is going to be the next day is very difficult ahead of time.

So I am going to divert back to the last meme I posted... if you can't handle the 20% drops (or 75% drops like I've been through) then you don't deserve the 600% gains.
    If we use the .com bubble as an example, before the crypto bubble is done we will have 10s of thousands of crypto currencies and companies claiming to be involved in crypto currencies.

And when it all collapses, only a few will survive.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    If we use the .com bubble as an example, before the crypto bubble is done we will have 10s of thousands of crypto currencies and companies claiming to be involved in crypto currencies.

There are only a few tech companies?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are only a few tech companies?
    The vast majority of the .com companies disappeared and went to zero.

Obviously the established real companies doing real business survived, like IBM or HP, but even some of the established, real product producing companies disappeared.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

And those survivors will be the ones hand-picked to survive by the bankers, like deep state controlled Amazon. I'd bet it's not going to be the ones being pimped by MSM financial media either. That goes against everything the bankers have done. The key to staying in power is to not let the slaves out of their holes once their usefulness has expired and of course "bitcoin billionaire" profanes would be considered slaves climbing out of their holes. History shows all it takes is some shekels to get weak people to abandon their principles and sell out everyone else, a la Judas.
    Last edited by devil21; 12-26-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

There are only a few profitable tech companies?
    ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Who would possibly accept a currency that moves 20% in a single day??
    Someone whose fiat might go to zero at any moment?

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Someone whose fiat might go to zero at any moment?
    Errr....isn't it denominated in fiat? The entire thread is about the fiat price!

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Errr....isn't it denominated in fiat? The entire thread is about the fiat price!
    We could measure it's exchange rate against many things. What we know is that it has increasingly required more and more USD's to buy a BTC. USD's have increasingly become worth less compared to BTC, therefore (other fiat currencies have become worth less comparatively as well). Fear of currency crises is certainly a component of demand for BTC. So in this context it is most certainly perceived as a store of value. And I suspect it would be a profound one amidst a currency crisis. At that point, however, it would not be valued in USD. Other agreed upon baskets of goods would become the exchange rate. The political and macroeconomic uncertainties are diverse and dynamic, so the BTC exchange rates remain volatile as the world stage unfolds. The fact that BTC has increased dramatically against government fiat seems highly rational to me.
    Last edited by anaconda; 12-27-2017 at 02:44 AM.

Now over $2 billion..

US government misses out on $600 million payday by selling dirty bitcoins too early

• U.S. authorities shut down dark web marketplace Silk Road in 2013 and seized founder Ross William Ulbricht's bitcoins.
    • Ulbricht withdrew his claim to the digital coins last week

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/03/us-government-misses-out-on-600-million-payday-by-selling-dirty-bitcoins-too-early.html

It would be really awesome if some of the people who profited off buying his bitcoin gave some back to him if/when he was able to get out, or maybe get him a good lawyer for an appeal.. I don't think they are morally obligated, the government is the one who stole them from him, but it would be pretty cool if they did still.
    Last edited by dannno; 12-27-2017 at 12:46 AM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    We could measure it's exchange rate against many things. What we know is that it has increasingly required more and more USD's to buy a BTC. USD's have increasingly become worth less compared to BTC, therefore (other fiat currencies have become worth less comparatively as well). Fear of currency crises is certainly a component of demand for BTC. So in this context it is perceived as a store of value. And I suspect it would be a profound one amidst a currency crisis. At that point, however, it would not be valued in USD. Other agreed upon baskets of goods would become the exchange rate.
    Goods...like real stuff, you mean? Like physical gold? Things that actually exist? Yeah. So why add another "middle man" to complicate exchange of value and give new skim opportunities (like $50 fees that bitcoin is now known for) when it's not necessary except to he who regulates the exchange?

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Goods...like real stuff, you mean? Like physical gold? Things that actually exist? Yeah. So why add another "middle man" to complicate exchange of value and give new skim opportunities (like $50 fees that bitcoin is now known for) when it's not necessary except to he who regulates the exchange?
    Yes, any useful measure is both likely and feasible. In a currency crisis there will be no way or reason to value anything against a currency undergoing Weimar style hyperinflation. The alternative might be Toyota Camrys, half gallons of milk, or more likely some more general and comprehensive "basket of goods" that the interwebs quickly decides upon. There may even be several, but they will quickly sync to parity. Arbitrage gains may be temporarily possible while adjustments occur.

The middleman facilitates, rather than "complicates" the exchange. The middleman provides services such as locating and pairing buyers and sellers, linking clients with checking accounts, and so forth.
    Last edited by anaconda; 12-27-2017 at 07:24 AM.

Bitcoin is now occupied territory. Go with alternatives like Dash, Zcoin, Bitcion Cash, etc. Be careful
    >_<

Quote Originally Posted by merkelstan View Post
    Bitcoin is now occupied territory. Go with alternatives like Dash, Zcoin, Bitcion Cash, etc. Be careful
    Would you please explain "occupied territory" and its implications? Thanks.

You're right, using gold as a means of exchange is so much more practical than crypto

Especially for online purchases
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

you are so misinformed. it is sad. Bitcoin fees were under attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    you are so misinformed. it is sad. Bitcoin fees were under attack.
    Stop with the personal attacks masquerading as replies. It's a sign of ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    You're right, using gold as a means of exchange is so much more practical than crypto

Especially for online purchases
    A digital gold standard would work just fine for online commerce. Online is still only a small percentage of overall transactions, however.
    Last edited by devil21; 12-27-2017 at 02:46 PM.

A digital gold standard would work just fine for online commerce.
    Tried that.. it's centralized, way too easy to steal the gold (governments, etc)

It would definetely be an ongoing problem.

Tried that.. it's centralized, way too easy to steal the gold (governments, etc)

So, since a gold standard was abandoned due to too much money printing, abandon it for a digital, endless supply of entirely non-existent "coins" solution that relies completely on infrastructure controlled by TPTB instead? Talk about jumping from the pan into the fire.

Smart people should be converting bitcoin profits into physical metals right now. Price suppression of metals is about to end. I've thought that the price of bitcoin is actually the price of physical GOLD but the bankers would rather you dump your soon-to-be-devalued dollars into another vaporware currency instead of real, hard money.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    $13,974

Last edited by anaconda; 12-28-2017 at 06:20 AM.

Good thing I sold all my coin when the bubble burst. I got out with a small profit and now I'm waiting until I see what looks like the new bottom to buy back in.
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Good thing I sold all my coin when the bubble burst. I got out with a small profit and now I'm waiting until I see what looks like the new bottom to buy back in.
    Kudos for gaming the dip. Yet, BTC is still up about 75% just since Thanksgiving.

+ Rep

$14,621
    Last edited by anaconda; 12-29-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Time for Ripple lambos
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Bitcoin is money. I don't see how you can say the contrary and stay intellectually honest.
    Just STFU and stop posting. For real. Just stop.

Last edited by devil21; 12-30-2017 at 02:43 AM.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.

It can be exchanged for USD the same way that Yen or Francs can. Someone who owns BTC can make a few mouse clicks and make purchases 48 hours later. Sounds like money to me.

Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast