Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump about to push hard for gun control:

On the other hand, that book was written years ago; there were no other signs.

Quote Originally Posted by June 15, 2016
    WASHINGTON — Donald J. Trump said Wednesday that people on the terror watch list should be barred from buying firearms, putting himself in the center of a gun-control debate in Congress revived by the worst mass shooting in United States history.

Mr. Trump’s stance, expressed in a Twitter post, does not necessarily jibe with the positions of the Republican Party and the National Rifle Association, whose endorsement Mr. Trump frequently boasts about on the campaign trail. His tweet could be read to support measures pushed by Democrats and opposed by Republicans in Congress, reflecting the unusual nuances of the issue, which touches on public safety and civil rights beyond the Second Amendment.

“I will be meeting with the N.R.A., who has endorsed me, about not allowing people on the terrorist watch list, or the no-fly list, to buy guns,” Mr. Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, wrote Wednesday morning on Twitter. His comment came three days after 49 people were killed when a gunman who pledged allegiance to the Islamic State stormed an Orlando nightclub.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/16/u...-nra.html?_r=0

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post
    Things have really deteriorated when Marco Rubio is the voice of reason.
    That's the whole point...

Trump just helped the gun grabbers push the entire window of discussion their direction. Now "moderate" and "reasonable" gun control somehow seems more acceptable.

Progressive / Alinsky tactics 101.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    That's the whole point...

Trump just helped the gun grabbers push the entire window of discussion their direction. Now "moderate" and "reasonable" gun control somehow seems more acceptable.

Progressive / Alinsky tactics 101.
    It's an elaborate strategy to remove Paul Ryan and thereby repeal the gigantic spending increase he just signed into law.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    It's an elaborate strategy to remove Paul Ryan and thereby repeal the gigantic spending increase he just signed into law.
    He's going to make Iran pay for the spending increases.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    He's going to make Iran pay for the spending increases.
    And China for the tax hokes on American consumers for the benefit of politically connected corporations tariffs.

...we move toward a lofty ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    And China for the tax hokes on American consumers for the benefit of politically connected corporations tariffs.

...we move toward a lofty ideal.
    fake news

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    fake news

I expect cooler, non-Trump heads to prevail on this issue, so that nothing happens. It's one of those rare issues (the other major one being immigration policy) where there are powerful groups lobbying for the right policy (for selfish reasons, mind you, but no matter). The utterly useless, union-owned, American steel industry, with the AFL-CIO, Richard Trumpkuck, etc, will lobby for this nonsense, but most businesses (i.e. consumers of steel) will lobby against it: to the advantage of Americans and humanity at large.

The NRA invented and sold "Sensible" Gun Control,, they pushed and sold the background checks.

I remember watching.

I was not expecting anything new. (had a fantasy about Restoration of Rights)
    Looks like things are as expected. More Cops.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

And when it comes to things like homicides, there is no evidence that things are getting worse. It is indeed true that things aren't like they were "when we were kids," but that's a good thing. There were far more homicides in the United States during the 1980s and 1990s than there are today. Things were even worse than that during the 1970s. In fact, the homicide rate in the US was cut in half between 1991 and 2014. And while the homicide rate has inched up over the past two years, it is nowhere near where it was "when we were kids."

For anyone familiar with these trends, it should not be shock to hear that a subset of those homicides — school shootings — have decreased over that period as well.
    In response to the latest shooting in Florida, Northeastern University released a preview of new research by James Alan Fox slated for publication this fall which shows, quite clearly, that there is no growing trend in school shootings. The university notes:
    Mass school shootings are incredibly rare events. In research publishing later this year, Fox and doctoral student Emma Fridel found that on average, mass murders occur between 20 and 30 times per year, and about one of those incidents on average takes place at a school.
    Fridel and Fox used data collected by USA Today, the FBI’s Supplementary Homicide Report, Congressional Research Service, Gun Violence Archive, Stanford Geospatial Center and Stanford Libraries, Mother Jones, Everytown for Gun Safety, and a NYPD report on active shooters.
    Their research also finds that shooting incidents involving students have been declining since the 1990s.
    Four times the number of children were killed in schools in the early 1990s than today, Fox said.
    “There is not an epidemic of school shootings,” he said, adding that more kids are killed each year from pool drownings or bicycle accidents. There are around 55 million school children in the United States, and on average over the past 25 years, about 10 students per year were killed by gunfire at school, according to Fox and Fridel’s research.
    In a February 22 article, New York Magazine came to a similar conclusion, noting:
    Schools in the United States are safer today than at any time in recent memory. Criminal victimization in America’s education facilities has declined in tandem with the nation’s collapsing crime rate. Meanwhile, as of 2013, the year after the Newtown massacre, mass shootings accounted for only 1.5 percent of all gun deaths in the United States, or 502 total fatalities.
    New York was drawing on research from the US Justice Department showing that "school victimization" rates have plummeted since 1992, as a graph provided by the Justice Department shows:

Fox, the author of the Northeastern University research, does not oppose policy changes like increasing the age for purchasing guns. But he notes it's unlikely to impact the numbers very much:
    The thing to remember is that these are extremely rare events, and no matter what you can come up with to prevent it, the shooter will have a workaround,” Fox said, adding that over the past 35 years, there have been only five cases in which someone ages 18 to 20 used an assault rifle in a mass shooting.
    Ironically, those most familiar with the data on shootings are often less likely to assume that gun control measures are are an easy solution to the problem of homicide.
    For example, last year, Leah Libresco at the Washington Post — hardly an organ of the NRA — concluded that gun control measures are of extremely limited value:
    …my colleagues and I at FiveThirtyEight spent three months analyzing all 33,000 lives ended by guns each year in the United States, and I wound up frustrated in a whole new way. We looked at what interventions might have saved those people, and the case for the policies I’d lobbied for crumbled when I examined the evidence...
    I researched the strictly tightened gun laws in Britain and Australia and concluded that they didn’t prove much about what America’s policy should be. Neither nation experienced drops in mass shootings or other gun related-crime that could be attributed to their buybacks and bans. Mass shootings were too rare in Australia for their absence after the buyback program to be clear evidence of progress. And in both Australia and Britain, the gun restrictions had an ambiguous effect on other gun-related crimes or deaths...
    By the time we published our project, I didn’t believe in many of the interventions I’d heard politicians tout. I was still anti-gun, at least from the point of view of most gun owners, and I don’t want a gun in my home, as I think the risk outweighs the benefits. But I can’t endorse policies whose only selling point is that gun owners hate them.
    What Libresco did conclude, was that a host of societal issues are driving much of what we hear about in terms of so-called gun violence. Mental illness, suicide, gang violence, and domestic violence are all important factors that drive gun violence. The problem, Libresco admits, is that simply prohibiting certain types of guns doesn't really address these issues.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...w-during-1990s
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Politics isn't poker, it is war by other means and it is philosophy applied.

Bluffing can be used in war but war is short term, the philosophy is long term and he is doing more long term philosophical damage than any short term advantage he may seize.
    Bluffing is an important aspect of what I was referring to, but not the whole picture. In poker, you generally want to bet higher when you have a good hand, but if you always bet exactly proportional based on how good your hand is and your opponent recognizes that your are betting proportional every time then they will always be dialed in on how good your hand is.

So randomizing your behavior a bit throws them off and so when you do bet high they don't know if you have a good hand or if you're bluffing, if you don't bet when you do have a good hand it may make them feel like they have a better hand and start betting more so you don't have to, and they probably won't fold if they have a pretty good hand and may bet a lot more if you signal that yours is weak.

Trump being erratic is one of his most calculating strategies.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Bluffing is an important aspect of what I was referring to, but not the whole picture. In poker, you generally want to bet higher when you have a good hand, but if you always bet exactly proportional based on how good your hand is and your opponent recognizes that your are betting proportional every time then they will always be dialed in on how good your hand is.

So randomizing your behavior a bit throws them off and so when you do bet high they don't know if you have a good hand or if you're bluffing, if you don't bet when you do have a good hand it may make them feel like they have a better hand and start betting more so you don't have to, and they probably won't fold if they have a pretty good hand and may bet a lot more if you signal that yours is weak.

Trump being erratic is one of his most calculating strategies.
    I understand the "Drunken Monkey" strategy but some things are sacred, the 2ndA and Due Process are to not to be blasphemed.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I understand the "Drunken Monkey" strategy but some things are sacred, the 2ndA and Due Process are to not to be blasphemed.
    If I were Trump's personal advisor, I would say the same thing.. But I have a feeling he would turn to me and say, "Hold my beer."
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Just one day after putting the NRA on the defensive with stunning televised comments, President Trump has signaled in an Oval Office meeting that he doesn't want gun control, according to the NRA's top lobbyist.
    Chris Cox, the executive director of the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action, tweeted late Thursday that "POTUS & VPOTUS support the Second Amendment, support strong due process and don’t want gun control."
    I had a great meeting tonight with @realDonaldTrump & @VP. We all want safe schools, mental health reform and to keep guns away from dangerous people. POTUS & VPOTUS support the Second Amendment, support strong due process and don’t want gun control. #NRA #MAGA
    — Chris Cox (@ChrisCoxNRA) March 2, 2018
    About an hour later, Trump appeared to endorse Cox's version of events with a tweet of his own: "Good (Great) meeting in the Oval Office tonight with the NRA!"
    Good (Great) meeting in the Oval Office tonight with the NRA!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 2, 2018
    More at: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...r-meeting.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Gunmaker Stocks Rebound

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gunmaker-...174005791.html

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Just one day after putting the NRA on the defensive with stunning televised comments, President Trump has signaled in an Oval Office meeting that he doesn't want gun control, according to the NRA's top lobbyist.
    Chris Cox, the executive director of the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action, tweeted late Thursday that "POTUS & VPOTUS support the Second Amendment, support strong due process and don’t want gun control."
    I had a great meeting tonight with @realDonaldTrump & @VP. We all want safe schools, mental health reform and to keep guns away from dangerous people. POTUS & VPOTUS support the Second Amendment, support strong due process and don’t want gun control. #NRA #MAGA
    About an hour later, Trump appeared to endorse Cox's version of events with a tweet of his own: "Good (Great) meeting in the Oval Office tonight with the NRA!"

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL

Last edited by dannno; 03-02-2018 at 12:22 AM.

BOOOM

These things have a habit of going down the memory hole, because this happens constantly and quite a few people don't seem to recognize the pattern yet.

So ya..:

Originally Posted by Swordsmyth

Looks like Trump is pushing hard for gun control:
    So my question remains, did he get a hernia?

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    $#@!ing seriously? "He did it too"? SMGDH
    Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    I believe the popular Trumpsplanation is that Trump is just calling the dems bluff and they won't actually vote for anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave Mentality View Post
    That and Hillary would have troops going door to door by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Trump just endorsed Feinstein's Assault Weapons Ban, Trumpsplain that.
    I think this is the closest to Trumps position on guns is toxic $#@! as I can get from dannno so I'll take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Well, I'm done.
    Quote Originally Posted by seapilot View Post
    I could be wrong, but this looks like a similar thing trump did with the recent DACA giving the dems all they wanted and more in order to deal. Pissed his base off really bad, just like this is pissing off his base plus all 2nd amendment supporters. It was all grandstanding that went nowhere. I am hoping this goes nowhere and I am giving more $ to GOA because they are the only ones I trust to protect the natural right to self defense.
    ^Gold Star

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    how will this affect me?
    It won't affect anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    And the end result will be something in the middle, as always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    MAGA bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Trump is wrong and he better get more constitutional people around him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    [cool pic]
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Trump has literally nothing to do with liberty despite all the crap trumpbabble being spewed here these days, what a stinking joke.
    Last edited by dannno; 03-02-2018 at 12:43 AM.

Sounds like NRA speak for "we are about to pass gun control lite"

Need more specifics.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Need more specifics.
    Indeed.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Need more specifics.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Indeed.

It does not "sound like that" at all.

The specifics are right there -

The President doesn't want gun control. (period)

The President wants strong due process. (period)

This is not difficult subject matter, it's all very clear, very concise.

This is not difficult subject matter.
    Forgive me if the words of drones don't persuade me.

Is he for or against Jeff Flakes bill to raise the age from 18 to 21? That's a rhetorical question. I don't need your slobknobbing pontifications.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

It does not "sound like that" at all.

This is not difficult subject matter, it's all very clear, very concise.
    Why am I supposed to believe what he said during a private meeting is one thing when he has said otherwise on video multiple times?

Why am I supposed to believe what he said during a private meeting is one thing when he has said otherwise on video multiple times?
    Because I explained why he did that and what the strategy behind it was before it all came to fruition, and it was all completely logical. And then it happened. Weren't you paying attention?

He came out for gun control because of the FLA shooting victims and the left were aligning to make a really big issue out of it, so he threw a huge bucket of water on the fire by coming out for the most leftist gun control possible. He asked Dianne Feinstein to vomit everything she could into the bill. This disarmed the left because there was now nothing to protest, so they went home. Additionally, the gun manufacturers got a huge boost and now people own more firearms.

Then a couple days later he came out and said, "Nah, I changed my mind on gun control. I don't want any. Congress is going to work on banking regulations instead."

Now congress is working on banking regulations. Guns are safe.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Now congress is working on banking regulations. Guns are safe.
    No,, they aren't.

and neither are banks.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Then a couple days later he came out and said, "Nah, I changed my mind on gun control. I don't want any. Congress is going to work on banking regulations instead."
    Is it intellectually honest to put that in quotation marks? He didn't say that and Cox didn't say that. In fact, the only thing Trump did personally tweet since telling his staff to violate half the Bill of Rights was, "Good (Great) meeting in the Oval Office tonight with the NRA!"

Putting quotes around anything else is called writing fan fiction.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    No,, they aren't.

and neither are banks.
    The banks are being de-regulated and Trump has said he doesn't want any gun control and wants strong due process. I don't know why you are trying to turn that into some libertarian nightmare. In these times we should be very grateful for the sort of direction our country has been going.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Is it intellectually honest to put that in quotation marks? He didn't say that and Cox didn't say that. In fact, the only thing Trump did personally tweet since telling his staff to violate half the Bill of Rights was, "Good (Great) meeting in the Oval Office tonight with the NRA!"

Putting quotes around anything else is called writing fan fiction.
    Cox said that he said that.

Nice try.

Have a nice day.

Danno, you working on your fan-fiction again? While it is imaginative and sometimes even a fun read, be sure to spare us the naughty part where Sessions comes into the Office for a glass of lemonade as Trump takes off his shirt.

That last chapter was just creepy, brother.

Thanks in advance!

Signed,

All of humanity

Cox said that he said that.

Nice try.

Have a nice day.
    No, he didn't.

Those quotation marks still make it fan fiction, even with that attribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Indian View Post
    Danno, you working on your fan-fiction again? While it is imaginative and sometimes even a fun read, be sure to spare us the naughty part where Sessions comes into the Office for a glass of lemonade as Trump takes off his shirt.

That last chapter was just creepy, brother.

Thanks in advance!

Signed,

All of humanity
    Amen, brother!

He's putting words in Cox' mouth now. I shudder to think where this thing goes from here...
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-02-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    No, he didn't.
    Yes, he did

POTUS & VPOTUS support the Second Amendment, support strong due process and don’t want gun control.

Yes, he did
    POTUS & VPOTUS support the Second Amendment, support strong due process and don’t want gun control.
    One of these things is not like the others...

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast