Thread: 90.0 FM

90.0 FM

Been doing some traveling lately, and using the seek function of the radio. I discovered something interesting. Radio stations have popped up all across the country on the frequency 90.0 FM, all illegally broadcasting dead air. That means broadcasting a signal that produces no sound (or image). This has been going on at least two months.

Now, I don't know anyone who could get away with broadcasting in the same frequency as nearby stations, or illegally broadcasting dead air, except government. These things are even popping up where there's only one or two other stations, like south central Idaho and northwestern Arizona.

Why do odd discoveries like this always make me wonder how Washington, D.C. is going to use it against us?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Been doing some traveling lately, and using the seek function of the radio. I discovered something interesting. Radio stations have popped up all across the country on the frequency 90.0 FM, all illegally broadcasting dead air. That means broadcasting a signal that produces no sound (or image). This has been going on at least two months.

Now, I don't know anyone who could get away with broadcasting in the same frequency as nearby stations, or illegally broadcasting dead air, except government. These things are even popping up where there's only one or two other stations, like south central Idaho and northwestern Arizona.

Why do odd discoveries like this always make me wonder how Washington, D.C. is going to use it against us?
    Curious, have you tried a different radio? If you are checking only from your car are you sure your car does not have an FM conversion kit installed that is using that frequency? You know those things you use in old cars that do not have an audio jack, you plug into the converter and it allows your external player to transmit on the car's FM radio?

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

Odd.

Let me look into that a little bit.

Technically, you should not be able to tune in to 90.0 Mhz on a standard US FM tuner, as US frequency assignments run in tenth digit odd numbering only.

There should be no 90.0 on your car radio.

It should only tune 89.9 then skip to 90.1 - 90.3 - 90.5 and so on.

Are you DXing on a programmable hand held?
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

It's the bluetooth to FM adapters. My kids both use them in their cars. If it's on but no song playing it broadcasts nothingness.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    It's the bluetooth to FM adapters. My kids both use them in their cars. If it's on but no song playing it broadcasts nothingness.
    He's right...and since they are made of Chinesium, you can tune them to even digit frequencies.

I just tested one.

Mystery solved.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan