Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: man evicted from his own property for living poor...

man evicted from his own property for living poor...

http://objectsinmotion.org/man-gets-...living-simple/

I'd be willing to bet that if given the chance, just about everyone on this forum would jump at the chance to live off the grid on 35+ acres, no matter if it was simple living, or not.

There goes that idea...

Maybe we can generate some outcry and help this old man out? I can't think of a better way I would like to spend my last years than to just be at peace with my surroundings, with a couple of 4 legged companions nearby.

EDIT : Here are some phone numbers for you to call and voice your opinion..

Assessor, County (765) 641-9401 Cheryl Heath
    Circuit Court (765) 641-9436 Judge Pyle
    Clerk (765) 641-9443 Ludy Watkins
    Commissioners (765) 641-9470 Linda Smith
    Community Justice Center (765) 649-7341 Ann Roberts
    County Attorney (765) 641-9474 Gerald Shine
    Court Administration (765) 641-9503 James Hunter
    Prosecuting Attorney (765) 641-9585 Thomas Broderick Jr
    Purdue Extension (765) 641-9514 Gary Simmons
    Sheriff's Department (765) 646-9290 Ron Richardson
    Surveyor (765) 641-9638 Patrick Manship
    Last edited by aravoth; 12-01-2010 at 12:14 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by aravoth View Post
    http://objectsinmotion.org/man-gets-...living-simple/

I'd be willing to bet that if given the chance, just about everyone on this forum would jump at the chance to live off the grid on 35+ acres, not matter if it was simple living, or not.

There goes that idea...

Maybe we can generate some outcry and help this old man out? I can't think of a better way I would like to spend my last years than to just be at peace with my surroundings, with a couple of 4 legged companions nearby.
    Peace and being left alone?

Not permitted, mundane.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

I remember a similiar story in St Petersburg. The family was living in a trailer, with no running water or electricity, but they were clean and fed. The kids bathed at their father's house, and I forget what they had arranged for a toilet, but it was something clean and legal.

So social services came to get the kids. They ran away, and agreed to enter foster care only if the reporter would write about the situation.

They were in school, getting good grades, not in any trouble...it was sickening to think of what they might have been exposed to in foster care.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I remember a similiar story in St Petersburg. The family was living in a trailer, with no running water or electricity, but they were clean and fed. The kids bathed at their father's house, and I forget what they had arranged for a toilet, but it was something clean and legal.

So social services came to get the kids. They ran away, and agreed to enter foster care only if the reporter would write about the situation.

They were in school, getting good grades, not in any trouble...it was sickening to think of what they might have been exposed to in foster care.
    As more and more people lose their homes and jobs, the state is right there to leap on them and make sure they are fully crushed.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

It's happening with relative frequency...the public utilities commission got the police involved in this case, and the guy's actually gone to jail--3 times. It's $#@!ing outrageous:

http://www.off-grid.net/2008/08/20/w...fighting-fund/

William Williams fighting fund
    by NICK ROSEN on AUGUST 20, 2008 - 2 Comments in EVENTS

Williams: off-grid hero This web site is organising donations to help pay lawyers for a Pittsburgh man who uses no public utilities — and has served three stints in the county jail because of his battles. Now he faces more legal wrangling for refusing to tap into the local sewage system.

Off-Grid was the first to report on William Williams, 78, of Cecil, back in 2006. Now Williams is again pressing ahead with his long- held doctrine that he, not public utilities or authorities, dictates what happens on his property. He describes utility companies and authorities as “troublemakers,” “bullies” and “yo-yos with ***** ideas” about encroaching on people’s lives.

Based on that philosophy, he’s refused to tap into the sewage system that the Midway Sanitary Authority operates on Reissing Road.

“I don’t like to see big outfits like this giving all this [hassle] to the people,” Mr. Williams said. “These companies are trying to barge in on everybody.”

The Washington County Sewage Council sent him a certified letter June 26 stating he had 45 days to tap into the sewage line. The council said it will inspect his septic system to see if it’s malfunctioning, which would be grounds to force him to tap into the public system.

But Thomas F. Wright of the council said if a visual inspection reveals no leaks, that tactic won’t work. Then Cecil would have to step in to enforce its ordinance requiring homeowners to tap into the public sewage system.

He said Mr. Williams is one of 21 homeowners yet to tap in, although most others cite money problems as the reason.

But if it goes to court, Mr. Williams could face a fine as high as $5,000 and imprisonment of up to 30 days. Every day he fails to comply also can be considered a separate offense.

It’s the latest in Mr. Williams’ campaign to avoid being wired, plugged in, tapped in or in the pipeline.

“If they want to play hard ball, I’ll play hard ball,” he said.

Mr. Williams served 31 days in the Washington County Jail for repeatedly cutting a guy wire securing an Allegheny Power utility pole on his property in 2005 and 2006. When the company kept reinstalling the wire, Mr. Williams dug a 5-foot hole and removed the guy wire anchor.

At the time, Allen Staggers of Allegheny Power said Mr. Williams’ actions could result in power outages and personal injury.

“It’s dangerous for people to tamper with our equipment, whether it is a live wire or a guy wire,” he said.

But Mr. Williams said the utility company’s right of way does not usurp his property rights. And to this day, the utility pole has no guy wire and leans a bit precariously over Reissing Road.

Without front teeth and wearing his trademark orange tassel cap, Mr. Williams said the citations, fines and jail time have strengthened his resolve to fight intrusions into his simple lifestyle.

“People let their wants outpace their needs, and that’s why we’re in economic trouble now,” he said.

Cost prompted him decades ago to wean himself from public utilities. He retired from Homestead Valve in 1974 and lives on Social Security and a small pension.

He collects rainwater from his roof gutters into a holding tank. The water then flows through a filter into a basement sink. His 1960s-era septic system includes two tanks.

His refusal to pay for electrical service prompted Allegheny Power to remove electrical lines to his house. He installed solar panels in his front window and relies on batteries to power his radio. He uses propane and wood for what little heat he needs and washes his clothes in a bucket, then dries them on a clothesline. Owning no refrigerator, he stores perishables in his basement. He has no telephone. Weeds fill his yard.

At 5 feet 11 inches, he weighs about 134 pounds and eats a diet of cereal, cheese, tomatoes and hoagies with little meat — and shares his diet with his dog, a mountain cur named Peppy. He said he hasn’t been to a doctor in 54 years, save for an exam to get his driver’s license.

Mr. Williams remains spry with bold opinions about the virtues of simplicity. And if necessary, he said, he’ll go to jail yet again, although he’s unsure what he would do with Peppy.

“People are used to going along, so they don’t rock the boat,” he said. “I’ll rock that boat.”
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Yeah property rights in the land of the free.

Any of you know if that is madison county, Illinois perchance? If so, he lives real close by to me.

Nevermind, its in indiana
    "Anarchists oppose the State because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights." -Murray Rothbard

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Peace and being left alone?

Not permitted, mundane.
    Exactly. The Social Contract means everyone else around you gets to determine what you do.
    "Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Μολὼν λάβε

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This guy seems to be the epitome of 'green living.' Where are the liberal treehuggers to support this guy?
    Don't taze me bro. Don't touch my junk. Don't tread on me.

Maybe you need a friend not into politics... http://saveadogrescue.com/ http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=TX1472

"the protection guaranteed by the amendments is much broader in scope. The makers of our Constitution undertook to secure conditions favorable to the pursuit of happiness. They recognized the significance of man's spiritual nature, of his feelings and of his intellect . . . They sought to protect Americans in their beliefs, their thoughts, their emotions, and their sensations. They conferred as against the government the right to be left alone -- the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."

Justice Louis Brandeis

Olmstead v. United States
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

at least for once the comments are encouraging

My question is this:

If you are forced to comply then you are also forced to pay?

More proof we do not live in a free society that honors private property rights. If it was not zoning they would be forcing him to pay education - property taxes and taking his property if does not comply.

The people that are working against him are the true terrorists that threaten America. I hope the people as well as the militias put together a show a force in protest to stop these terrorists.

I sent an email to Linda Smith, the clerk for the county commissioners office, asking what the scoop is for the eviction proceedings.

http://madisoncountyindiana.org/CountyOffices.html

I want the damn government destroyed, piece of **** scumbags.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Shared both Thompson and Williams on FB
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I edited the OP, and put the county phone numbers on the front page. Call the county commissioners and tell them to put a stop to this. Harassing an old man that just wants to be left alone is utter bull$#@!.

Are they trying to take his land, or only trying to evict him from living on it?

Either way, I might go to the meeting. It’s like two counties over from Indianapolis. I’d like to go and at least video the commissioners (zoom in on all their faces and YT it).

Quote Originally Posted by idirtify View Post
    Are they trying to take his land, or only trying to evict him from living on it?

Either way, I might go to the meeting. It’s like two counties over from Indianapolis. I’d like to go and at least video the commissioners (zoom in on all their faces and YT it).
    Post it when you do so we all can watch and favorite it.

This is messed up.

The Madison county website lists no meeting for the 7th, but there’s one for the same time on the 14th. I’m calling.

Should call the sheriffs office also, They must be fielding a few calls right now because no -one is answering...

This is how home grown terrorism is born. This man is clearly not in his right mind, but he is living by himself and is hurting no one. Other than the high and mighty that want their crappy little Indiana town to not look so poor.

God, did I just have a bit of fun! I just spoke with the planning commission of Madison county Indiana and found out that there are no meetings left, and no court date is set for the Dick Thompson case. Apparently it is the hands of a court/judge/trial at this time. But the planning commission was the responsible entity, and is the one to call about questions. But the best part was when I asked if I could check back periodically for updates. At that point, the lady I was speaking with got a defensive tone and asked me my name. I told her, and then I asked her for hers. Get this: she refused to tell me! I replied with, “you’re kidding; you’re not going to identify yourself?!” She said, “I don’t see why it matters.” It continued with something like, “but you’re a public official”; “no, I’m just an employee”, and after some coaxing she ended up giving me her first name only: “Liz”. (BTW, I got it all on tape. Anybody wanna hear it? It’s hilarious!) Apparently, judging from that ridiculous response, they have been getting some flack over this case. Let’s keep it up. Call the planning department right now at (765) 641-9480 and ask LIZ about the case of Dick Thompson. Don’t be rude, but play dumb and be persistent. First prize goes to the caller who succeeds in getting Liz’s last name!!!
    Last edited by idirtify; 12-01-2010 at 12:45 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    no sewage is troubling. If everyone chose to go that route, we would have health problems at epidemic proportions.

he should at least create a septic tank and passive leach field, or he is responsible for the pollution, which will be far greater cost to him in the long run.

still off the grid, but being responsible for his "actions".

http://www.madisoncountyindiana.org/...ommission.html
    Apparently the man in charge of the planning commission is Bill Maxwell (at that same phone number). Here are all the board members:

Bill Maxwell, President
    Wesley Likens, Vice President
    John Simmermon
    Mark Gary
    Paul Wilson
    John Orick
    Pat Manship
    Larry Crenshaw
    Phil Isom

http://www.madisoncountyindiana.org/.../PCA101210.pdf
    It looks like I found the last name of our mystery lady: “Elizabeth A. Bruns, secretary”. But please, still feel free to call and try to get her to tell you.

But next appropriate question to them would be: “Which planning commission date on the website would have the minutes for the most recent Dick Thompson meeting?
    http://www.madisoncountyindiana.org/...ndMinutes.html

"no sewage is troubling."

Not in the least. A basic sawdust composting toilet built out of free materials will give years and years of service with no pathogens leaking into the environment at all. Instead, all you get is a pile of awesome compost.

Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    no sewage is troubling. If everyone chose to go that route, we would have health problems at epidemic proportions.

he should at least create a septic tank and passive leach field, or he is responsible for the pollution, which will be far greater cost to him in the long run.

I’m curious. At what point does manure cease to be fertilizer and magically becomes “pollution”? This question is especially appropriate since we are not talking about “everyone”, but we ARE talking about ONE man living on FORTY acres which he OWNS!

Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post

It isn't all THAT troubling, for one person. It wasn't all THAT long ago that outhouses were the norm, still, in rural areas. (Not my lifetime, but my mother's.) Don't put it by the river, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by idirtify View Post
    I’m curious. At what point does manure cease to be fertilizer and magically becomes “pollution”? This question is especially appropriate since we are not talking about “everyone”, but we ARE talking about ONE man living on FORTY acres which he OWNS!
    That guy could build an outhouse and used it forever without causing any pollution. It might smell a bit down wind though.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast