Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gov Shut: Pelosi asks Trump to reschedule SOTU speech or deliver it in writing

Gov Shut: Pelosi asks Trump to reschedule SOTU speech or deliver it in writing

Could we see this years SOTU speech via tweets?
    MAGA said so many nice things about Pelosi and this is the paykback. Opportunity to to inform America truthfully on such a big platform about the current state of the union and correct fakewnes lies woud be huge deal for former reality TV star.

Pelosi asks Trump to reschedule SOTU because of the shutdown

The House speaker is citing security concerns, but Democrats also don't want to give Trump a platform to blame them for the shutdown.

By HEATHER CAYGLE and RACHAEL BADE
    01/16/2019

Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Wednesday asked President Donald Trump to reschedule his State of the Union address — or deliver it in writing — as long as the government remains shut down.

Pelosi said the partial shutdown has hamstrung both the U.S. Secret Service and the Department of Homeland Security, potentially harming the security planning that precedes the primetime address.

"Sadly, given the security concerns and unless government re-opens this week, I suggest that we work together to determine another suitable date after government has re-opened for this address or for you to consider delivering your State of the Union address in writing to the Congress on January 29th," Pelosi wrote in a letter to Trump.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ddress-1103047

Related

Dem lawmaker to Ann Coulter: Tell Trump 'it's OK to open up government'

Developing...
    Trump SOTU Speech: All Eyes on Rep. Joe Wilson

Trump: "Nancy Pelosi loves this country"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Here we go again, though opinion cannot be classified as 'fakenews' technically but media opinions again twisting the meaning of #winning:

Nancy Pelosi uninvites Trump from the State of the Union until the shutdown is over
    She also says he can deliver it in writing if he wants.
    Jan 16, 2019

Facing Trump’s tantrum, Pelosi takes away the TV

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.ceb2f771b17d

Nancy Pelosi Is Winning

She beat George W. Bush on Social Security privatization, and she’ll beat Trump on the wall.
    6:30 AM ET
    Peter Beinart
    Professor of journalism at the City University of New York

Democrats sometimes portray themselves as high-minded and naive—unwilling to play as rough as the GOP. Speaker Nancy Pelosi is, once again, proving that self-image wrong. She’s not only refusing Donald Trump’s demand for a border wall. She’s trying to cripple his presidency. And she may well succeed.
    Pelosi’s strategy resembles the one she employed to debilitate another Republican president: George W. Bush. Bush returned to Washington after his 2004 reelection victory determined to partially privatize Social Security. “I earned capital in the campaign, political capital,” he told the press, “and I intend to spend it.” Bush’s plan contained two main elements. The first was convincing the public that there was a crisis. Social Security, he declared in his 2005 State of the Union address, “is headed toward bankruptcy.” The second was persuading Democrats to offer their own proposals for changing it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...r-wall/580516/

Related

Trump: "Nancy Pelosi loves this country"

Go ahead with it as planned. When did we need a SOTU address more than when in chaos?

LOL

They are losing and they are desperate.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Pelosi's saying things specifically required by the Constitution shouldn't be done?

That didn't take long. She has only been the speaker again, what, two weeks now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Pelosi's saying things specifically required by the Constitution shouldn't be done?

That didn't take long. She has only been the speaker again, what, two weeks now?
    Nancy is right for once, Trump should reschedule to start earlier and run later, CNN replaced
    as Key Coverage Network by Fox or some independent network.
    Nancy should be forced to sit right in front of Trump so he can give
    her the nod now and again when he hits key points.

I have always thought delivering them in writing in concise memo form and taking no questions is the way to go . Pelosi should be busy working on cutting spending , not worrying about what trump is doing .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Delusional grandma. Doesn't she have grandkids she should be spending time with instead of being thorn in every bodies side?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

NBC, CNN: Secret Service, DHS Reject Nancy Pelosi’s ‘Security’ Excuse for Canceling State of the Union

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/s...f-the-union%2F

https://twitter.com/obrienc2/status/...f-the-union%2F

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...paign=20190116
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

53:10

Great movie (PCU), if you can find a higher quality version this movie was about PC culture going overboard back in the early 90s...

The "Pit" are sorta like the libertarians, and they have to fight the old guard establishment right who secretly teamed up with the leftist crybaby commies who now run the school..

This movie was 25 years ahead of its time.
    Last edited by dannno; 01-16-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

For the vast majority of the country's history, the president did not give a state of the union speech to a joint session. The Constitution doesn't require it.

Evidently, the speaker is the one who invites the president to deliver the speech in person. Her letter is an excellent troll, which is why the white house has told other people (DHS, etc.) to respond rather than respond themselves. Whichever D staffer has been tasked with coming up with ways to annoy Trump, they are doing an outstanding job.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    For the majority of the country's history, it was not delivered in person.

Evidently, the speaker is the one who invites the president to come deliver the speech in person. Her letter is an excellent troll, which is why the white house has told other people (DHS, etc.) to respond rather than respond themselves. Whichever D staffer has been tasked with coming up with ways to annoy Trump, they are doing an outstanding job.
    They are making fools of themselves, but I understand why you can't see that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They are making fools of themselves, but I understand why you can't see that.
    It's strange that that bothers rather than pleases you.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

It's strange that that bothers rather than pleases you.
    Why do you think it bothers me?

I am quite pleased.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The federal govt will have been "shutdown" for over 30 days by the regularly scheduled SOTU.
    If he holds it, he could fire on tv almost a million nonessential workers. The greatest "You're fired!" in history! Hell, probably would get in the Guinness record book.

The Donald, just do it!

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    The federal govt will have been "shutdown" for over 30 days by the regularly scheduled SOTU.
    If he holds it, he could fire on tv almost a million nonessential workers. The greatest "You're fired!" in history! Hell, probably would get in the Guinness record book.

The Donald, just do it!
    Are we still pretending that he's for smaller government?
    Pinochet is the model

Are we still pretending that he's for smaller government?
    Nope. I'm playing on his ego here.

[QUOTE=enhanced_deficit;6736763]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Nancy is right for once, Trump should reschedule to start earlier and run later, CNN replaced
    as Key Coverage Network by Fox or some independent network.
    QUOTE]

EM

Surely you're not implying Fox is independent?
    They appear to be opportunist hacks just like much of MSM.

Fox owner hosted fund raiser for Hillary Clinton, his daughter hosted fund raiser for Obama
    I read some time back that Fox was taken over by some real cuck, might explain
    Tuckers recent beat down on Pot.
    I've never trusted Fox explicitly , just bent a little better than CNN et al.
    ...and' no, I wasn't saying Fox was independent , that's why I said; ''some independent''
    not; some other' independent.

[QUOTE=Stratovarious;6736781]
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post

I read some time back that Fox was taken over by some real cuck, might explain
    Tuckers recent beat down on Pot.
    I've never trusted Fox explicitly , just bent a little better than CNN et al.
    ...and' no, I wasn't saying Fox was independent , that's why I said; ''some independent''
    not; some other' independent.
    I sort of sensed the distinction, just wanted to clarify ... and also plug a news story about their track record there

Good points.

[QUOTE=enhanced_deficit;6736785]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post

I sort of sensed the distinction, just wanted to clarify ... and also plug a news story about their track record there

Good points.
    Thanks for the link, .....waiting for another new agency to crop up, Libertarian run, we'll see.
    We have some great conservatarians' out there, I've recently been listening to Steve Turley, fantastic coverage
    in my view of European issues, and is a pretty big fan of Trump, would like to see Turley team up with
    some of Ron Paul's staff possibly or Stephan Molyneux , you know ... the 'like' some real talent there.
    There are others, but Molyneux and Turley are much more gifted with coherent and fluid content than
    most.
    Everything points to CNN et al seeing its final days soon, unless they can stir up WWIII.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Watching this play out is going to be a blast.

Not sure Nancy knows what she's in for.

Rand tweeting today to suggest having the Senate host SOTU address.

Quote Originally Posted by fcreature View Post
    Watching this play out is going to be a blast.

Not sure Nancy knows what she's in for.
    Commies plan:

1. Surround yourself with sycophants.
    2. ...
    3. Profit.

Have SOTU address.

Address border security, Afghanistan, Syria, ........

Then fire all those furloughed and tell the American people that the debt is too much and tell congress they need to address Pension Reform.
    Last edited by Schifference; 01-17-2019 at 04:51 PM.

He should do a SOTU out in public on the border in a spot where there is no wall.

There has been much adieu made about Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s disinviting President Donald J. Trump to give the State of the Union address on the floor of the House of Representatives.
    But, just as Pelosi had no authority to use a military jet for her overseas vacation with a Congressional delegation Thursday after Trump cancelled her plane, she appears to have no power to stop him from convening the Congress for the State of the Union, especially given the emergency at the southern border.
    The legal precedent lies in an opinion from the Deputy Solicitor General for President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, a man by the name of George T. Washington, who, from his post at the Department of Justice, told Congress that the president has the Constitutional authority to convene them even when they are adjourned, as they are now due to the partial government shutdown.
    “There is nothing in the Constitution to indicate, nor is there any other basis for believing, that the President’s power to convene the Congress on extraordinary occasions depends upon the precise nature of the recess or the adjournment, that is, whether the adjournment is sine die, until a day certain, or until the majority leaders of the Congress find it in the public interest to reassemble the two houses,” Washington wrote in 1947.

Washington highlighted that the authority for the President to proceed as such exists especially during “extraordinary occasions.”

“The important factor would appear to be not the nature of the recess or adjournment but, rather, that the Congress is not in session and that an extraordinary occasion has arisen which requires that it be in session and that it convene, therefore, at a date earlier than it otherwise would,” he wrote. “It is beyond question that the two houses of the Congress do not have the power, even by statute, to defeat the constitutional power of the President, under Article II, Section 3, to convene the Congress on such an occasion.”
    In this case, the “extraordinary occasion” is obvious: America’s porous southern border is costing American lives and crippling the lives of others via the dangerous drugs that pour into the country unfettered.
    In a sane nation, one in which a political party wouldn’t be willing to sacrifice innocent lives or the wellbeing of its citizenry simply to defy a political foe, such legal pretense – all to give a simple speech – might not be necessary. But since, in 2019, the Democratic Party is interested in playing games with America’s security and prosperity, perhaps they’ll need to be compelled to let Trump elucidate the full scope of the problem on a national stage.
    If that is the road Pelosi and company want to take, Trump appears to have the legal authority squash them yet again – and he should.

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/confir...-of-the-union/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast