Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I'm at +/-

2.5 cord under roof split small
    2.5 under tarred carpet on deck split small
    2.5 in the sun quartered
    2.5 in rounds
    2.5 in 10' logs near the house
    2.5 cord in 10' logs that need to get hauled in off the land

I figure I'll need about 6-7 cord for the winter; its splitting season for me, I try to chop a 1/4 to 1/2 cord daily after morning coffee

I burn 10/20 to 4/20 nonstop

Its about 68 indoors right now, on south facing windows alone; high today of 55.
    That's quite a nice stack of firewood you got there. I really love chopping wood.. Now that I have a good axe it feels like a good workout instead of punishment... And for some reason, it's a lot of fun.. Also making a nice stack, it's just satisfying work.

Cleaned the chimney earlier today, then immediately after lit a fire. I only had 2-3 cups of creosote from 5 months of daily fires.. Pretty good I'd say.
    "I am a bird"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i think I am getting close to having enough cut to last to beginning of Feb or so .I just need to get it all split and work on Feb and first half of March or so.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Glad the thread was resurrected. I'm splitting the walnut and oak from last year. The ladies cousin dropped two oaks last year and had it cut to our size. Will go get it with the truck and trailer this weekend. Then more splitting. I pre-cleaned the flue at end of last year so...good to go this weekend when the night time temps drop into the 30's.
    Of course I probably won't need all this wood because...97% of scientists concur.

For the yuppies;

I wish to god I lived in a state that had four seasons... I live in Arizona where it's always warm, even in winter. I have a fireplace, and we use it in winter, but no real cold weather. I don't even go thru a cord per season. I would love to chop wood
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 05:09 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I used this method to build a firewood rack on the back porch. Easy to assemble/disassemble. Low cost (I already had the materials).Since my rack is under the covered porch I use the space under the landscape timbers for kindling.

http://www.instructables.com/id/No-tools-firewood-rack/

Building a no-tools-needed firewood rack

A stable, strong, easily-movable, cheap firewood rack is a thought-provoking project. This is what i have used for years and it works extremely well.

It holds a face-cord of heavy, wet wood with no problem and is very stable.
    This is what you need:
    2 or 3 concrete blocks
    2 landscape timbers
    2 2x4s - 8 or 10 footers cut in half.
    total material cost about 15 bucks

I think the pics say it all but some tips:
    - place 2 concrete blocks holes up on a stable surface, 3 if support needed in center (not often).
    - place timbers across outside edges of blocks
    - place 2x4 pieces in holes in blocks. If on dirt put a few
    small rocks in holes first to help drain water from 2x4' ends.
    - its designed so the 2x4's are leaning out at the top. it's
    very strong like this. if you find the 2x4s are spread too wide, you
    can tap them closer together on a full rack as there is not that much weight on them. the last pic shows my new double rack. one more block but 4 less 2x4 pieces and stronger because of center blocks. if you enlarge the last pic, you can really see how much weight this set-up will hold. and i could put a lot more on it but its over my head..hahah
    If you have any doubts about whether or not this works like i say, just read a few comments from other members, real people just telling it like it is.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Maybe I should not have been chopping wood on the same days I played Soccer .

I was splitting wood Sun , kept thinking Danke would stop by to help so I could drink some beer , he never showed .........

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I was splitting wood Sun , kept thinking Danke would stop by to help so I could drink some beer , he never showed .........
    I was in training.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I was in training.
    Somehow I $#@!ed up , I bought some peanuts packaged in New Jersey and they have no salt . I was ripped off , if you had been here , this was preventable. If I had been able to read the package , I would have known better, $#@!ing Jersey , LOL

I am enjoying my fire , built yesterday.Waiting for the snow . Plenty of wood and bourbon .Told the Mrs. , no , I cannot take you to town for dinner tonight , it is going to snow , LOL

So far we haven't had temps below freezing, in fact, apart from the short days and lack of leaves in trees it looks like autumn here.

I've heard there's a high pressure area somewhere in the colder parts of Russia that will give us a good taste of some more colder air while we previously had a lot of warmer but stormy weather coming from the Atlantic.

So. Today I cleaned up the area next to the house, thought I might wear my thermal boots, stepped into a rusty nail. Luckily my boots are more than an inch thick so the nail only went into my foot a tiny amount. Not enough to stop me, put on my COLD safety boots and cleaned all of the crap out.

A cord of Oak/Birch mix was delivered. Last time it had more oak, this time more birch, sucks, the oak burns much cleaner imo. But it's cheap, about 180$ total. If you go to any of the bigger suppliers you'll pay double that for $#@!tier wood.

I'm hoping for a lot of snow quickly.. Snow and really low temperatures are much more comfortable in winter here. If it's a bit warmer you get more stormy weather, lots of rain. This being an old house, wind is our enemy as it basically blows straight into the house through all the small holes and stuff. So please, lots of snow ! Get some of that insulation stuff on the roof
    "I am a bird"

Started to feel like Jan here past couple weeks , some tough Temp.'s , no global warming .

My F-ing chainsaw died on me right after I had felled a big old willow tree.. The thing is of course conveniently positioned. NOT. So I'll have to get a new chainsaw tomorrow... Damnit. It was an electric chainsaw and ok, they suck, I know. But I got it, it was very cheap and it has served it's purpose for years but I am thinking of getting a gas powered one with a little bit longer chain.

Just my kind of luck though. Not that I mind a new chainsaw, really.
    "I am a bird"

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am in love...

I got one of the smaller models gas powered chainsaws. It's a 14" I believe. 3hp or so. But it's Husqvarna and made in Sweden so I guess that's better than Chinese crap, I don't know. All I know it's a pretty reputable brand.

Tested it out for a couple hours this afternoon on the big willow tree. The tree was reduced to small enough pieces to carry in no-time .I'd say the gas powered chainsaw (even though it technically has the same rated HP's) is about 6 times as effective. The chain on the electric one was old but I had recently sharpened it so it wasn't too dull. IDK, I kind of wish the electric one would have broken a long time ago because this is a lot faster and it appears to have much more power.

Main problem right now.. I've only got one more tree left to take down.
    "I am a bird"

Are chainsaws legal in the Netherlands?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Are chainsaws legal in the Netherlands?
    Are staplers legal in the USA?
    Donald Trump > SJW ass-tears

Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post
    Are staplers legal in the USA?
    Yes.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Yes.
    Is it possible to chop down a tree with a stapler?
    Donald Trump > SJW ass-tears

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I am in love...

I got one of the smaller models gas powered chainsaws. It's a 14" I believe. 3hp or so. But it's Husqvarna and made in Sweden so I guess that's better than Chinese crap, I don't know. All I know it's a pretty reputable brand.
    Husqvarna is a good brand.
    Jonsered and Poulan are owned by them as well.. I used the Poulan 18" and they took the abuse.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Andreas Stihl is upset.

I was going to say, do your self a huge favor and only use stuff like this in it and not auto gas mixed with oil:

http://www.vp-sef.com/index.php/why-vp-sef

Then I remembered you are in Europe and not having to deal with the garbage that is called gasoline and diesel fuel, and the damage it does to small engines, like we are here in the land of the free, due to Uncle Sucker's fatwas.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I am in love...

Tested it out for a couple hours this afternoon on the big willow tree. The tree was reduced to small enough pieces to carry in no-time .I'd say the gas powered chainsaw (even though it technically has the same rated HP's) is about 6 times as effective. The chain on the electric one was old but I had recently sharpened it so it wasn't too dull. IDK, I kind of wish the electric one would have broken a long time ago because this is a lot faster and it appears to have much more power.

Main problem right now.. I've only got one more tree left to take down.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mr Animal's red chainsaw has been a good one. His neon green one sucked, btw. I have to admit, he's treated the red chainsaw better or that's what he tells me.

We gave all of our firewood to our elderly neighbors. My son delivered it before we left for vacation. They pay him to split, deliver and stack with banana bread. I told him I'm going to make him a will work for food sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Mr Animal's red chainsaw has been a good one. His neon green one sucked, btw. I have to admit, he's treated the red chainsaw better or that's what he tells me.

We gave all of our firewood to our elderly neighbors. My son delivered it before we left for vacation. They pay him to split, deliver and stack with banana bread. I told him I'm going to make him a will work for food sign.
    I have read your posts, don't they have CPS around your neighborhood?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I have read your posts, don't they have CPS around your neighborhood?
    Apparently not, thank God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Mr Animal's red chainsaw has been a good one. His neon green one sucked, btw.
    Yellow - McCulloch

Craftsman - Black/Red/Yellow/Gray depending on model

Homelite - Reddish/Orange

Johnsered - Red

Husquavarna - Red

Echo - White/Orange

Stihl (the best, imo) - White/Orange

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast