Thread: Red Barchetta Glows Orange

Red Barchetta Glows Orange

Red Barchetta Glows Orange

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2022...comment-876005

By eric - November 22, 2022

Rush – not Limbaugh, the rock band – had it almost right.

The song, Red Barchetta, was about a dystopian future time in which engines – not motors – had been outlawed.

My uncle has a country place, that no-one knows about . . .
    He says it used to be a farm, before the Motor Law…

As it turned out, it is regulations that are systematically purging engines from the road, in favor of electric motors – which are now very much favored by the law. This method is far subtler and so more effective than a brute edict because it doesn’t seem as brutal. Just as “asking” people to “pay their fair share” is psychologically harder to object to for many than the more honest hand over your money, or else.

And so, the car companies are still able – legally – to build cars with engines. Just ever smaller ones, in order to comply with the latest regulations, until – finally – there are no engines left at all.

We are very close to finally, already.

My column the other day (here) noted the dreary fact that even $50,000 luxury cars are generally four cylinder-powered cars now. These engines make less power than the six cylinder engines that were as recently as ten years ago the minimum you’d get for $50,000 and they are also less prestigious – which matters when you are spending $50,000 on a car. It matters because people who spend $25,000 on cars are getting essentially the same as you got, but for half the price.

It makes you not want to spend $50,000 on the four cylinder-powered luxury car. Ah! But look across the way . . . there is an electric car that offers much more power (if not an engine) and for about the same $50,000!

And thus the nudge proceeds.

Try to imagine a $50,000 luxury car with a three cylinder engine. That is certainly coming. It is almost here. Engines, you see, can be designed such that running them generates almost no harmful pollution – the latter once-upon-a-time being synonymous with emissions. But it is impossible to reduce the “emissions” of the gas that is now styled an “emission,” even though it is an irrelevance as regards pollution.

Carbon dioxide cannot be “cleaned up” – because it’s not dirty. But it is generated by the process of combustion – and the only way to reduce the quantity generated is by reducing combustion.

This is why engines are waning in size.

It is not because “gas mileage.”

The new class of four cylinder engines that have replaced six cylinder engines use about the same gas. But they “emit” less gas (C02) and the regs demand less and less be “emitted” with each new slew of regs. That is why they have been replacing larger engines that inevitably “emit” more of it. It is also why, inevitably, there will inevitably be no engines at all – without need of any law.

Eventually, the regs will require “zero emissions” of the gas that is not a pollutant – and that cannot be complied with – without getting rid of engines altogether. (Never mind that C02 will still be “emitted” elsewhere. That will be dealt with once engines have been dealt with.)

The genius of the thing lies in having gotten people to accept that C02 is a pollution-equivalent, which it isn’t. That is absurd – a scientific falsehood. But – having accepted it – they have already implicitly agreed that it is necessary to nudge people out of cars with engines and into cars with motors. Just the same as convincing people that it was necessary to wear a “mask” was the necessary predicate, however scientifically absurd, for getting most of them to accept the necessity of taking a “vaccine.”

It is illogical to object to the latter, having not objected to the former. Just as it is hard to object to “electrification” – if one didn’t object to the basis for it. If one agrees that C02 is a “pollutant.”

I contemplate all of this as I sit in the garage, looking at my Orange Barchetta. When my 1976 Pontiac Trans-Am was new, it was nothing special. Because in 1976, cars with V8 engines – huge ones – were as commonplace as little fours are today. Family cars had V8s. And many families had such cars because they weren’t exotic. Almost anyone could afford to own one. And so almost everyone had one. Or someone in their family did.

Exotic cars had V12s – if you can imagine that. These were to be found in cars that are the analogs of today’s six figure, top-of-the-line luxury cars – models like the Mercedes S-Class, BMW 7 and Lexus LS – all of which no longer come standard with even a V8.

Soon, inevitably, they will not have even the little sixes they now come standard with.

And that will result in their going away entirely – to be replaced by something electric, without any engine at all.

No Motor Law required.

Down in his barn . . .
    My uncle preserved for me an old machine –
    For fifty-odd years . . .
    To keep it as new has been his dearest dream . . .

And I am become that uncle.

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Anti Federalist November 22, 2022 At 9:39 am

Eric wrote: “And I am become that uncle.”

We are all becoming that uncle. In every account of dead and dying dystopian societies, real or fictional, there are “the crazy uncles”. The ones who desperately and in the face of harsh punishment, hold on to and protect the “good”, the beauty of “what once was” or the wisdom of the ages, be it machinery or tools or firearms or art or literature or the great truths of philosophies and religions.

Because the common thread of all tyrannies, whether it is today’s gender confused Marxists or invading Mongol hordes or a vicious European king: they want power for power’s sake alone.

To gain and hold that much power, it is absolutely necessary for the one seeking it to convince the people that the “age of shoddy” that is all around them, is how it always was and how it will always be.

After we are dead and gone, some young man shaking the dusty tarp off your blazing orange Trans Am in 2095 will know, with one look, that yes, the refuseniks were right:

Things WERE better then.

And perhaps that will harden that young man, born of hard times, to aspire to create and build good times again.

https://twitter.com/BrianGitt/status...41003198144514

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I don't see why noone ever considers sea power. There's probably enough power in the currents to eclipse many times over our current energy usage

It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

When my 1976 Pontiac Trans-Am was new, it was nothing special.
    I beg to differ, it was special. The last year of the 455? But the style was perfected in 77 and 78.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I don't see why noone ever considers sea power. There's probably enough power in the currents to eclipse many times over our current energy usage

The First Tidal Generator in North America Is Now Online
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...merica-online/
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    The First Tidal Generator in North America Is Now Online
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...merica-online/
    That story is from 2016.

Within a week of placing the turbine on the sea floor, the company filed for bankruptcy.

Within two weeks it was broken.

Two years later, the whole mess was in the courts, trying to find somebody with enough cash to remove the damned thing.

https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/new...emoval-257853/

These eggheads need to stop trying to re-invent the wheel.

Tidal pools were used to power water wheels in the Netherlands and in the US at Saugus Iron Works, two hundred years ago.

Dam off a large tidal pool, using pre existing and proved hydro technology.

Success.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That story is from 2016.

Within a week of placing the turbine on the sea floor, the company filed for bankruptcy.

Within two weeks it was broken.

Two years later, the whole mess was in the courts, trying to find somebody with enough cash to remove the damned thing.

https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/new...emoval-257853/

These eggheads need to stop trying to re-invent the wheel.

Tidal pools were used to power water wheels in the Netherlands and in the US at Saugus Iron Works, two hundred years ago.

Dam off a large tidal pool, using pre existing and proved hydro technology.

Success.
    Water, Wind, and Steam powered the Industrial Revolution..

Old and New Tech for the win..

Or go to war with the Saudis instead of fighting wars For Them.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.