Thread: Don't use Gilead's remdesivir in hospitalised COVID-19 patients, WHO says

Don't use Gilead's remdesivir in hospitalised COVID-19 patients, WHO says

Don't use Gilead's remdesivir in hospitalised COVID-19 patients, WHO says

LONDON (Reuters) - Gilead’s remdesivir should not be used for patients hospitalised with COVID-19, regardless of how ill they are, as there is no evidence the drug improves survival or reduces the need for ventilation, a World Health Organization panel said on Friday.

“The ... panel found a lack of evidence that remdesivir improved outcomes that matter to patients,” the guideline said.

“Especially given the costs and resource implications associated with remdesivir ... the panel felt the responsibility should be on demonstrating evidence of efficacy, which is not established by the currently available data,” it added.

The advice is another setback for the drug, which grabbed worldwide attention as a potentially effective treatment for COVID-19 in the summer after early trials showed some promise.

The antiviral, known by the brand name Veklury, is one of only two medicines currently authorised to treat COVID-19 patients across the world. But a large WHO-led trial known as the Solidarity Trial showed last month that it had little or no effect on 28-day mortality or length of hospital stays for COVID-19 patients.
    More: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN28000Q
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If using it doesn't hurt the patient, why not continue to use it just in case it might be helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    If using it doesn't hurt the patient, why not continue to use it just in case it might be helpful?
    Not sure if serious, but it has a lot of drawbacks. It has negative side effects, which is one reason patients must be watched in a hospital while taking it. Studies were stopped several times due to adverse effects. It’s also very expensive.

Remdesivir is a broad-spectrum antiviral originally developed to treat Ebola, but was ineffective. In preclinical work conducted at the University of North Carolina and Vanderbilt University before the pandemic, it had shown promise against a wide range of viruses, including coronaviruses. In Ebola it had been found to be safe but ineffective. But the data acquired in those trials helped move it to more advanced trials in COVID-19.

That being said, about 25% of patients receiving it have severe side effects, including multiple-organ dysfunction syndrome, septic shock, acute kidney injury and low blood pressure. Another 23% demonstrated evidence of liver damage on lab tests.
    https://www.biospace.com/article/dat...oks-promising/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Maybe the WHO should investigate whatever or not the new 95% covid vaccine actually work at all. Or if that number is nothing but based on false data.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Maybe the WHO should investigate whatever or not the new 95% covid vaccine actually work at all. Or if that number is nothing but based on false data.
    In the infamous words of GWB:

“You fooled me, can’t get fooled again”.

If Democrats cared what the WHO had to say, then they would have agreed with them a couple months back when they said countries need to stop using lock downs as your only defense against the virus.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Not sure if serious, but it has a lot of drawbacks. It has negative side effects, which is one reason patients must be watched in a hospital while taking it. Studies were stopped several times due to adverse effects. It’s also very expensive.
    I was serious and not informed. Thank you for letting me know about this.
    As for the expense, I thought the government was paying some 38k for each Covid patient anyway. Thought perhaps they might get the monies worth.