Thread: Files Brief in Support of Challenge to California's Ban on In-Person Political Protests

Files Brief in Support of Challenge to California's Ban on In-Person Political Protests

The Department of Justice today filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in support of a lawsuit by plaintiffs Ron Givens and Christine Bish, two individuals seeking to hold peaceful in-person protests of 500 to 1,000 people with social distancing on the grounds of the California State Capitol Building.
    In its friend-of-the-court brief in the Ninth Circuit, the United States explains that the district court wrongly denied plaintiffs’ request for injunctive relief against California’s total ban on peaceful protests. While States have broad authority to protect the public during the COVID-19 pandemic, the First Amendment does not give them carte blanche to ban peaceful public protests and rallies. The brief also explains that the real and legitimate national outcry over George Floyd’s tragic killing has shown the importance of peaceful public protests to maintaining our civic fabric—and has highlighted the extreme nature of a blanket protest ban in California. Going forward, it could raise First Amendment concerns if California were to hold other protests, such as those proposed by the plaintiffs in this lawsuit, to a different standard.
    “Political speech in traditional public gathering spaces is at the core of the First Amendment’s protection of speech and assembly,” said Assistant Attorney General Eric Dreiband of the Civil Rights Division. “Moments of national trial reinforce the importance of the right of the people peaceably to speak and assemble. For more than two centuries, the First Amendment has endured, and it has helped preserve the United States of America as a beacon of hope and liberty for our people and for oppressed people all over the world. The right to protest government peacefully is at the heart of who we are as a people. Today’s filing by the Justice Department makes clear that the First Amendment right to freedom of speech and the rest of the Bill of Rights' protections remain in full force and effect at all times.”

More at: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/depar...ifornias-covid
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Any word on when Trump is going to make that announcement about ending TSA? Since it violates the Bill of Rights and he is supposed to defend and protect it, he doesn't need any approval from the senate/congress. I have been waiting 4 years already.

Any inside scoop, @Swordsmyth ? Oh, and here's the thread so that I don't derail this one ;-)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-to-passengers

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Today’s filing by the Justice Department makes clear that the First Amendment right to freedom of speech and the rest of the Bill of Rights' protections remain in full force and effect at all times.”

It's about damn time. That should have been clear as soon as the globalists used their public "health" division to order lockdowns.
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

-GLP poster

Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    Today’s filing by the Justice Department makes clear that the First Amendment right to freedom of speech and the rest of the Bill of Rights' protections remain in full force and effect at all times.”

It's about damn time. That should have been clear as soon as the globalists used their public "health" division to order lockdowns.
    It was.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    It was.
    Sorry, I meant it should have been MADE clear by Trump and the DoJ with some sort of threat of force to any state or locality usurping the Bill of Rights.
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

-GLP poster

a lawsuit by plaintiffs Ron Givens and Christine Bish, two individuals seeking to hold peaceful in-person protests of 500 to 1,000 people with social distancing on the grounds of the California State Capitol Building.
    I don't think this is going to solve the problem. Let's lay this out in clear terms. The left is burning and looting with passive approval from the media while anyone apposed to the destruction of liberty is labeled a "extremist" and pounced upon.

No, I don't think " peaceful in-person protests of 500 to 1,000 people with social distancing is going to do a damn thing.

I'm not opposed to the protests, but I think something a bit more drastic needs to happen to stop this insanity.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    Sorry, I meant it should have been MADE clear by Trump and the DoJ with some sort of threat of force to any state or locality usurping the Bill of Rights.
    I agree.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I don't think this is going to solve the problem. Let's lay this out in clear terms. The left is burning and looting with passive approval from the media while anyone apposed to the destruction of liberty is labeled a "extremist" and pounced upon.

No, I don't think " peaceful in-person protests of 500 to 1,000 people with social distancing is going to do a damn thing.

I'm not opposed to the protests, but I think something a bit more drastic needs to happen to stop this insanity.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Origanalist again.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.