Thread: Only 60% of Health Care Workers get the Flu Shot (CA)

Only 60% of Health Care Workers get the Flu Shot (CA)

If you can't convince health care workers, nurses, and doctors its safe, then there is something wrong.

But Andres, 36, decided not to get the flu shot herself. Andres — a self-proclaimed "germ freak" — said she just washes her hands instead.
    "I heard from a lot of co-workers on the floors that they were getting a lot of symptoms after getting the flu vaccine," she said. "I kind of got scared."
    As flu cases increase, hospital administrators are grappling with whether to compel doctors, nurses and other medical staff to get vaccinated. Each year, only about 60% of hospital workers get the shot, according to a report by the California Department of Public Health. The federal government has set a goal of 90% by 2020.
    For months, the hospital has been offering the flu shot to its staff. As of this week, about 72% of all employees had been vaccinated. Nearly 20% have declined, some because of allergies, or religious or personal views. Chief Operating Officer Rob Fuller said having healthcare workers vaccinated is a patient safety issue and he is doing everything possible to make that happen, but he does not want to force them. "The problem is you are running head-on into some deeply held beliefs that the vaccines are ineffective," he said. "We try to be reasonable about it."
    http://www.latimes.com/health/la-me-...,7186913.story

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe they just don't like needles?
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by kathy88 View Post
    Maybe they just don't like needles?
    This.I also doubt their effectiveness.They were offered for free at the local drug store and I still did not get one even at that price.
    I don't think they are unsafe.