Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife is angry...

My wife is angry...

I had a lawn service guy (group of guys) come to do some work on the yard, mow and blow, spray for weeds (out front only) etc....

My wife is very 'organic' and does not approve of any use of chemicals in the back yard. I told that to the lawn guy and thought he understood, so he only 'sprayed' the front yard for weeds, but he DID scatter your typical "Scotts weed and feed" fertilizer on the back lawn which contains an herbicide (2,4-d).

Anyone know about this stuff? Anyone use it? Is it safe for pets? Basically trying to talk my wife off the ledge (and keep myself off the couch).

I wouldn't have let the guy put that stuff down at all, but he just did it as a matter of course and there's not much I can do about it now.
    Last edited by jllundqu; 02-13-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lawn service guys could give fVck all about your organic wishes. 2,4-d is a weed herbicide, not at all conducive to organic programs. https://www.nrdc.org/stories/24-d-mo...ve-never-heard

We have used it before and none of our dogs ever had a problem with it. Two of the dogs were dachshunds who lived to ripe old ages. We also used a product for flea control out back, and again, no problems. We put them down after the last, um, dump of the night, and by morning, it seemed fine to let the dogs out.

I get your wife's reservations, though.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

A one time application is not the end of the world. Really. No human or animal will die because of it.

Sure one time application will not kill your pets, right away of course. You $#@!s did not answer his question. Is it part of an organic program? Well $#@! no it is not. If your wife goes ballistic it is well deserved you lazy $#@!.

I would be pissed, too. My doge is elderly and I wouldn't want him getting that stuff on his paws and licking them. I don't use anything on my lawn, btw. We have Bermuda and it seems to be taking over. Not to mention the dogs tracking it in and, if your kids play on the floor, then they have on their hands, clothes...Yuck!

I would spray the yard down with water and keep the dogs/kids off until it's dried. That's really all you can do at this point.

Froms Scotts website

Wait as Directed

After applying any lawn product, keep your dog off the lawn according to the label directions. Areas treated with Scotts® Turf Builder® Lawn Fertilizer can be entered immediately after application, although we recommend watering the lawn and waiting until it dries before anyone walks on it. That helps activate the fertilizer and prevents it from being tracked into the house. Check the package for directions when applying any weed or insect control; most recommend keeping pets off the lawn after application for a certain period.
    http://www.scotts.com/smg/goART3/How...lawns/33500016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by libertyjam View Post
    Sure one time application will not kill your pets, right away of course. You $#@!s did not answer his question. Is it part of an organic program? Well $#@! no it is not. If your wife goes ballistic it is well deserved you lazy $#@!.
    $#@! you and your neg. rep.

And then go ahead and call jllundqu a lazy $#@! when he specified conditions that were not heeded by the contractor?

You are unhinged.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I would be pissed, too. My doge is elderly and I wouldn't want him getting that stuff on his paws and licking them. I don't use anything on my lawn, btw. We have Bermuda and it seems to be taking over. Not to mention the dogs tracking it in and, if your kids play on the floor, then they have on their hands, clothes...Yuck!

I would spray the yard down with water and keep the dogs/kids off until it's dried. That's really all you can do at this point.

Froms Scotts website

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goART3/How...lawns/33500016
    Sure be pissed. But not at jllundqu. It's like you say, water the $#@! out of it. A one time application, through no fault of jllundqu, should not go beyond "Yeah, sorry. I didn't tell them to do that." "Oh, O.K."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The question was whether it was safe for pets. In our experience, our dogs did not appear to suffer any harmful effects. Whether the crew should be let off the hook is another issue entirely.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Sure be pissed. But not at jllundqu. It's like you say, water the $#@! out of it. A one time application, through no fault of jllundqu, should not go beyond "Yeah, sorry. I didn't tell them to do that." "Oh, O.K."
    Oh, I wouldn't be pissed at jllundqu, I'd be pissed at Mr Animal. JK, I'd be pissed at the lawn guys and I'd probably try to work out a deal with them for their screw up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Oh, I wouldn't be pissed at jllundqu, I'd be pissed at Mr Animal. JK, I'd be pissed at the lawn guys and I'd probably try to work out a deal with them for their screw up.
    I'm sure Mr. Animal should be Sainted. But, you wouldn't ride his ass over it. Especially if it wasn't his fault. Unless you were in an evil mood and knew it would tweek him. And yeah, the lawn guys are the people that any frustration should be taken out on. And if jllundqu was smart he'd join forces on blaming the "other guy" not in defending himself.

The Mr. Animal saga continues. He just dodget a bullet and is safe for now. Let's wait until the next episode to find out what happens next.

The $#@! is that?

Seriously?

My wife is angry...
    LOL - And in other breaking news, today: Dog bites man!

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    My wife is very 'organic' and does not approve of any use of chemicals in the back yard.
    Chemicals can seep into the groundwater and poison nearby rivers and lakes

Simply agree with her that you too would be angry at yourself, and your sorry. Then tell her if you flush water the lawn and flood it out, then take her to the mall and let her buy some shoes, will she forgive you. You will never do that again, period.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The herbicide I'm not too stoked on, but it was just a one time application. Flushing the grass with water will help spread out any toxicity.

The non-organic fertilizer isn't the greatest thing, but honestly I don't have a huge issue with using some non-organic fertilizer, I think the big problem is that it is used too excessively. If it is used, it should be used in small amounts in concert with organic fertilizers, composts, etc. so that more if it is used by the plant and the plants being grown in that area don't become dependent on the non-organic fertilizers in unhealthy soil.. At that point you have to drench the soil in fertilizer and a lot of it gets unused and ends up in the runoff.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I had a lawn service guy (group of guys) come to do some work on the yard, mow and blow, spray for weeds (out front only) etc....

My wife is very 'organic' and does not approve of any use of chemicals in the back yard. I told that to the lawn guy and thought he understood, so he only 'sprayed' the front yard for weeds, but he DID scatter your typical "Scotts weed and feed" fertilizer on the back lawn which contains an herbicide (2,4-d).

Anyone know about this stuff? Anyone use it? Is it safe for pets? Basically trying to talk my wife off the ledge (and keep myself off the couch).

I wouldn't have let the guy put that stuff down at all, but he just did it as a matter of course and there's not much I can do about it now.
    2 4 D is a broadleaf weed control measure and would not be strong in a Scotts mix . Using it once a year on a lawn should not cause you any problems .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The $#@! is that?

Seriously?
    ok who has been hacking my account? I didn't write that.

Way I see it if you weren't there it's her fault they put anything on the grass.

Let her deal with it if it freaks her out.

It'll be washed away after a rain or two and most of it absorbed by the soil after a few mornings dew..

A person is exposed to more toxic $#@! walking through a public park or Wal-Mart than you'd be exposed to in your back yard the day that stuff was applied.

Do all the neighbors exercise organic gardening/yard care?

Just consider your garden lost for a year.

For Lawns Only

Weed & Feed isn’t safe for ornamental plants or groundcovers. Keep applications at least 18 to 24 inches away from edible plants. Don’t let granules come in contact with exposed tree roots or foliage. Keep all traffic off the lawn until the product has been in place for 24 hours, has then been watered in and has dried. Wait six to eight weeks before planting ornamental trees and one year before planting vegetable or herb gardens in any treated area. Scotts garden consultants advise that if you accidentally spread the product in an edible garden, pull up, bag and dispose of annual plants. Give perennials in the garden plot a full year to recover.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/scotts-...ety-89238.html

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

if you have one of those venturi sprayers you can attach to a garden hose you can spray the area down with diluted coconut milk as a neutralizing agent

see study: (Haddon Northcote 1976)

you might also consider a mycorrhizzal spore application

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8368851
    Last edited by presence; 02-14-2017 at 08:17 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by agitator View Post
    Get a replacement.
    Wife?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Seriously i do not think that I wrote what is above. I have noticed small things in the past that made me think posts had been altered. Frankly I think there must be a rogue moderator that is fairly twisted. Hence it would probably be best to join the likes of acptulsa and many other fine people and no longer associate with this forum any more.

Seriously i do not think that I wrote what is above. I have noticed small things in the past that made me think posts had been altered. Frankly I think there must be a rogue moderator that is fairly twisted. Hence it would probably be best to join the likes of acptulsa and many other fine people and no longer associate with this forum any more.
    What makes you think there is only one rogue ?
    Do something Danke

you don't think?

I know what I say and write. I don't guess.

That's a pretty serious accusation.

The posts are time stamped, were you in the forum at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    you don't think?

I know what I say and write. I don't guess.
    Maybe you do not partake in the fire water ?
    Do something Danke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast