Thread: DOJ: About 250,000 Violent Home Invasions per Year, Would You Rather Have a Pistol or an AR?

DOJ: About 250,000 Violent Home Invasions per Year, Would You Rather Have a Pistol or an AR?

The numbers change but in the hundreds of thousands. It is not all that rare. So isn't a pistol enough? Well not unless you are an expert with a pistol. What the TV bang-bang doesn't tell you is it is actually kinda hard to hit something with a pistol except at short range. They bounce and jerk a lot unless, again, you are an expert. You can't get the same grip and aim on a pistol as you can on a rifle. Well there's hunting rifles! But many women, especially small or thin ones, are all but knocked on their rears from the recoil of a 30-30 deer rifle. They are made to take down large animals, not self defense. And you don't have that many rounds. Often one between reload with a bolt action.

Nope. What you want is an AR, light, accurate, little recoil, and the little lady can shoot it just fine. Also a pistol round, say 9mm, might not stop a large, drug-numbed attacker. But that AR sure will. A quarter million violent home invasions a year. That is not a little number. And now they want to take them away? I say naw sir. Nope. No way.

There are Less than 400 gun murders a year with assault rifles, 14,000 with handguns. Liberals are you listening to logic and reason here? Less than 400 vs. 14,000 with handguns. This is not about saving lives, or handguns would be your target.

When a Man's Pregnant Wife Stopped 2 Armed Home Invaders with an Assault Rifle, Saving Family

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by James_Madison_Lives View Post
    [COLOR=#1A1A1B][FONT="]The numbers change but in the hundreds of thousands. It is not all that rare. So isn't a pistol enough? Well not unless you are an expert with a pistol. What the TV bang-bang doesn't tell you is it is actually kinda hard to hit something with a pistol except at short range. They bounce and jerk a lot unless, again, you are an expert. You can't get the same grip and aim on a pistol as you can on a rifle. Well there's hunting rifles! But many women, especially small or thin ones, are all but knocked on their rears from the recoil of a 30-30 deer rifle. They are made to take down large animals, not self defense. And you don't have that many rounds. Often one between reload with a bolt action.
    It's just going to depend on a lot of factors. If you live in an apartment, as many Americans do, an AR is probably a poor choice because of the danger of over-penetration. Ditto if you could be in a situation where you need to fire towards the bedrooms in your home, and so on. So there are a lot of factors.

As for pistol versus rifle, there is some advantage to a rifle in terms of shot placement because of the longer barrel but then that longer barrel also makes the weapon easier to grab and more unwieldy in tight spaces.

With any firearm, you need to get some periodic practice to stay sharp, but a basic course is sufficient for anyone to use a pistol and place shots on target, no need to be an "expert".

Also a pistol round, say 9mm, might not stop a large, drug-numbed attacker. But that AR sure will.
    At the risk of over-penetration, which is usually a significant consideration in a home. I have never kept a rifle on standby as a home defense weapon, only pistol and shotgun. I'm an expert, in the practical sense, with the weapons I own, but not in the certified sense.

A quarter million violent home invasions a year. That is not a little number. And now they want to take them away? I say naw sir. Nope. No way.
    While that's a factor, I don't think it's actually the most important factor. Ideally, we would live in a safe country with few, if any, home invasions. And we would be armed. The percentage of American households that have a firearm has been steadily declining (a key dark-horse tactic being deployed by the gun-grabbers) and this has correlated with the rise in home invasions and other such crimes. Crime is not "the reason" that the 2A exists, the 2A exists because humans have a natural right to defend themselves, and in the modern world that means they have the right to own and use firearms because they are the state-of-the-art in self-defense for an individual or household.
    Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

AR?

Piffle to a .22 caliber popgun.

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Either one of them will do fine for me. At the end of the day the perpetrator will either be dead or wounded.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I feel like we're not giving enough love to the good old fashioned shotgun.

Easy to use. Hard to miss. Strikes fear into home invaders.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

SBR 300 blackout
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Honestly a shotgun is better suited. You could end up shooting your innocent neighbors when rifle rounds go through the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Honestly a shotgun is better suited. You could end up shooting your innocent neighbors when rifle rounds go through the walls.
    Subsonic rounds accomplish the same thing. And as an added bonus, there's a better chance that noone will call the cops when you drop the perp
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And if you don't want to register a SBR (and prefer a pistol that shouldn't ever ever be shouldered) there's an awesome invention called pistol braces. ATF approved it a few years back... still legal I think, but probably not much longer

Last edited by TheTexan; 06-08-2022 at 10:02 AM.
    - Kim Kardashian

When I think of violent home invasion mostly I picture revenuers . Murderous guns for hire employed with your tax dollars . In that case I'd take a BAR. If you mean urban home invasion by some derelict I'd prefer to just hack them to pc.'s while alive but I guess I could shoot them with an AR or shotgun since we now live in a more politically correct society. If you mean rural home invasion I'll assume they are better armed than urban thugs and just opt for the shotgun since the govt hasnt given me my BAR I have repeatedly asked for. I guess I could use my 9 mm or .38spcl to beat on the skull after they are dead if that makes people feel better .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    When I think of violent home invasion mostly I picture revenuers . Murderous guns for hire employed with your tax dollars . In that case I'd take a BAR. If you mean urban home invasion by some derelict I'd prefer to just hack them to pc.'s while alive but I guess I could shoot them with an AR or shotgun since we now live in a more politically correct society. If you mean rural home invasion I'll assume they are better armed than urban thugs and just opt for the shotgun since the govt hasnt given me my BAR I have repeatedly asked for. I guess I could use my 9 mm or .38spcl to beat on the skull after they are dead if that makes people feel better .
    Easy, just declare your property an embassy of the Ukraine and send a notice to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. explaining that you are an official arms-transporter for the Ukrainian government. 18-wheelers with pallets of full-auto ARs and ammo will be vectored to your location shortly afterwards...
    Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

Pistol and AR aren't the only options.

For use within my home, I would choose a pistol caliber carbine over an AR.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
    Pistol and AR aren't the only options.

For use within my home, I would choose a pistol caliber carbine over an AR.
    Something like one of those 9 mm keltech carbines ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Something like one of those 9 mm keltech carbines ?
    Yes. Or a Beretta Cx4 Storm. There are others. And 9mm isn't the only caliber they come in.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    I was about to say the same. For defending against home invasion, I want a shotgun. Every other round can be loaded with the ammo of your choice. If the birdshot doesn't get the point across, the buckshot will. And if they're still standing the next one, is a slug (no neighbors here to worry about). If you're in a hurry to make your point just skip the birdshot.

Mossberg 590a1 with bayonet lug should be versatile enough.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 06-08-2022 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.