Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trump demands you turn over your bump stocks

"Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You are joking, right??

Based on a bump stock ban that isn't even going to materialize?

Yes, because that $#@! ALWAYS starts with a demand for total bans and confiscation followed by the execution of anyone with the temerity to object. Buy a $#@!ing clue assclown and manage to screw up enough humility to actually learn from people with vastly more experience than your own. Or don't and just $#@! off. I don't really give a $#@! either way.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

He thinks Trump is going to try and completely take away the 2nd amendment.. this is the definition of TDS.

Buy a clue. Or don't.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

He thinks Trump is going to try and completely take away the 2nd amendment.. this is the definition of TDS.
    That is not what he said.

He said he recognizes the same anti-2nd circumstances now as he did then.

He said nothing about "Trump [taking] away the 2nd amendment." In fact, he said nothing about Trump at all.

But since you mention it - and as I have already pointed out - Trump is just a standard-issue, garden-variety, half-assed wannabe gun-grabber (your "muh chess" argle-bargle to the contrary notwithstanding).

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Yes, because that $#@! ALWAYS starts with a demand for total bans and confiscation followed by the execution of anyone with the temerity to object. Buy a $#@!ing clue assclown and manage to screw up enough humility to actually learn from people with vastly more experience than your own. Or don't and just $#@! off. I don't really give a $#@! either way.
    None of that is going to happen. You people are freaking out and going insane over literally nothing.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

He said nothing about "Trump [taking] away the 2nd amendment." In fact, he said nothing about Trump at all.

But since you mention it - and as I have already pointed out - Trump is just a standard-issue, garden-variety, half-assed wannabe gun-grabber (your "muh chess" argle-bargle to the contrary notwithstanding).
    I'm pretty sure Trump will need to be involved.. this thread is about Trump taking away bump stocks.

One day you will realize Trump was the only thing keeping this country from being disarmed and completely taken over by the left.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

^^^^This^^^^

If you manage to get through his thick $#@!in' skull, and past his interminable hubris, let me know. I'm tired of trying for now.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Not Really Advocates issued a strong protest against the lack of grandfathering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    There are already laws on the books restricting ownership of automatic firearms and restricting converting a semiautomatic to automatic fire. The executive is responsible for executing the law. Thus it is not an ex post facto in that it was already illegal, it was negligence by the executive to enforce the law. It's not a second amendment violation because a bump stock is not a firearm and is not essential to gun ownership or self defense. It has been demonstrated profusely that you can bump fire without using a bump stock product.

The upside is getting this adjudicated is an opportunity to get those laws reviewed perhaps the courts will agree with you AF and end up severely restricted or even overturned.

No it was already illegal, it was negligence by the executive to enforce the law. You're talking about grandfathering like a new law was passed which is not the case.
    It wasn't already illegal and the BATFE has no right to ban them, it isn't automatic fire because the trigger and your finger don't remain in constant contact.
    It is accelerated semi-automatic fire NOT automatic fire.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm pretty sure Trump will need to be involved.
    He already is.
    vvvvvvvvvvv

this thread is about Trump taking away bump stocks.
    It's about Trump trying to take them away.

Maybe he fails, maybe he succeeds.

But in either case, he is still a bush-league, half-assed gun-grabber.

One day you will realize Trump was the only thing keeping this country from being disarmed and completely taken over by the left.
    If the country is kept from being disarmed, it will be in spite of Trump being a bush-league, half-assed gun-grabber - not because of it.

And given your obstinate refusal to see Trump as anything other than a country-saving Messiah, I don't expect you ever to realize this ...

The notion that "Trump [will have been] the only thing keeping this country from being disarmed" is deeply, profoundly and gratuitously insulting to everyone who has fought so hard to preserve gun rights in America.

Regardless of what you think about Trump or his critics, you should apologize for that asinine remark to CCTelander, Gun Owners of America, and everyone else who has worked to promote and defend gun rights over the decades past - when Trump was expressing his approval and support for gun control. They have done far, far, FAR more than Donald Trump has ever done to prevent "this country from being disarmed".

JFC ... the "only thing" my ass ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 12-19-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Do you even MAGA, bro?

Nope. Not even a little bit.
    Chris

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The notion that "Trump [will have been] the only thing keeping this country from being disarmed" is deeply, profoundly and gratuitously insulting to everyone who has fought so hard to preserve gun rights in America.

Regardless of what you think about Trump or his critics, you should apologize for that asinine remark to CCTelander, Gun Owners of America, and everyone else over the decades past who have done far, far, FAR more than Donald Trump has ever done in this regard.

Sometimes the simplest explanation is not reality.

Sometimes the simplest explanation is not reality.
    What do "explanations" ("simple" or otherwise) have to do with what I said?

I repeat:

Regardless of what you think about Trump or his critics, you should apologize for that asinine remark to CCTelander, Gun Owners of America, and everyone else who has worked to promote and defend gun rights over the decades past - when Trump was expressing his approval and support for gun control. They have done far, far, FAR more than Donald Trump has ever done to prevent "this country from being disarmed".

What do "explanations" ("simple" or otherwise) have to do with what I said?

I repeat:
    You're right, whoever helped fight to get Trump elected deserves some credit as well.

All the work those people you mentioned did to restore or continue what rights we still have would have been smashed had Hillary and the left won.
    Last edited by dannno; 12-19-2018 at 03:36 PM.

You're right, whoever helped fight to get Trump elected deserves some credit as well.
    And so does everyone who didn't vote for him but who fought/fights for gun rights.

Even if Trump is playing good cop/bad cop he needs the other side of the duo.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It wasn't already illegal and the BATFE has no right to ban them, it isn't automatic fire because the trigger and your finger don't remain in constant contact.
    It is accelerated semi-automatic fire NOT automatic fire.
    I'm simply presenting the rationale that will be used in court. Maybe it holds up, maybe it doesn't. Either way, you can bump fire without it, its not a big loss to me and the people in this thread screaming the sky is falling are wrong.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

I'm simply presenting the rationale that will be used in court. Maybe it holds up, maybe it doesn't.
    If it holds up we will have taken another step into a state of lawlessness, the definition of automatic fire is specified in the law and it requires a single pull of the trigger.

Either way, you can bump fire without it, its not a big loss to me and the people in this thread screaming the sky is falling are wrong.
    I don't think the sky is falling either and I think this will be thrown out by the courts but it is encouraging the anti-gunners to try for more important things.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The illegality of the devise is ex-post facto. This is why things are grandfathered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Ummmm...that is exactly what "they" are doing.
    No. They are not punishing for owning something that was legal yesterday even though it is illegal tomorrow. They are saying you are not in trouble if you turn it in or destroy it by the deadline.

Ex post facto would mean that they will be punishing you for owning it when it was legal to own, even though it is now no longer legal.

I think some of yall need to go back to civics 101 class.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

"A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    [W]hoever helped fight to get Trump elected deserves some credit as well.
    Credit for what? Giving us the "mushroom tip" of trying to get bump stocks banned? Thanks, but no thanks ...

All the work those people you mentioned did to restore or continue what rights we still have would have been smashed had Hillary and the left won.
    Sorry, but your Hillary-flavored "if pigs had wings" taste-masking ketchup is well past its sell-by date.

Pigs don't have wings and Hillary is not the one peddling half-assed gun-grabby EOs. Trump is.

EDIT: Also noted is your continued refusal to apologize to defenders of gun rights in favor of fellating Trump ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 12-19-2018 at 05:48 PM.

I personally think Trump is doing a great job protecting our gun rights by trying to take away gun rights.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    No. They are not punishing for owning something that was legal yesterday even though it is illegal tomorrow. They are saying you are not in trouble if you turn it in or destroy it by the deadline.

Ex post facto would mean that they will be punishing you for owning it when it was legal to own, even though it is now no longer legal.

I think some of yall need to go back to civics 101 class.
    An ex post facto law (corrupted from Latin: ex postfacto, lit. 'out of the aftermath') is a law that retroactively changes the legal consequences (or status) of actions that were committed, or relationships that existed, before the enactment of the law
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-19-2018 at 05:51 PM.

What Collins is saying is that ex post facto generally means that you could be charged today for having possessed a bump stock 2 years ago, not making a bump stock that was legal 2 years ago now illegal. No doubt it's all legalese word salad but it is an important difference, the other constitutional violations you pointed out notwithstanding.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

So are they going to collect those big rubber bands too?

I don't think Trump is going to come after the 2A completely but between this and cucking on border wall funding Trump is having a bad week.
    “When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!”
    ― Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt1225 View Post
    I don't think Trump is going to come after the 2A completely but between this and cucking on border wall funding Trump is having a bad week.
    Pulling out of Syria is good and he may be planning on using the military budget to fund the wall.

He just recently approved of an increase to the military budget beyond what he had said was necessary.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/09/polit...ing/index.html

President Donald Trump has agreed to a request from Defense Secretary James Mattis to propose a defense budget of $750 billion for the coming year, marking a reversal from plans to shrink defense spending, an administration official confirmed to CNN.

Last week, Trump appeared to call the Defense Department budget of $716 billion "crazy" in a tweet. The next day Mattis and key Republican lawmakers who oppose any defense budget cuts met with the President for lunch to discuss military funding.

The agreement on the $750 billion budget came out of the meeting last Tuesday, which was attended by Trump, Mattis and the chairmen of the House and Senate Armed Services committees, Rep. Mac Thornberry, R-Texas, and Sen. James Inhofe, R-Oklahoma.

"The President fully supports the National Defense Strategy and continuing to rebuild the military," the official said. "With the help of Sen. Inhofe and Chairman Thornberry, President Trump agreed to $750 billion topline."

Politico first reported the decision to increase the budget proposal.

The larger number tracks with what some experts, including a congressionally appointed panel, have said should be a yearly 3 to 5% increase to the defense budget, which includes money for the military as well as the nuclear weapons elements of the Department of Energy.

The meeting last week came as the Trump administration floated a 5% cut to the Defense Department, reducing the defense budget from $716 billion allocated in 2019 to $700 billion in 2020 as part of a federal government-wide effort to reduce the deficit. Defense officials were planning on a $733 billion budget for 2020 prior to the proposed cuts.

"The Department is committed to ensuring our military remains the most lethal force in the world. We are working with OMB (Office of Management and Budget) to determine the department's topline number," Lt. Col. Mike Andrews, a Defense Department spokesman, told CNN.

Defense officials had said anything under $733 billion would increase risk.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ex post facto is most typically used to refer to a criminal statute that punishes actions retroactively, thereby criminalizing conduct that was legal when originally performed.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/ex_post_facto

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    What Collins is saying is that ex post facto generally means that you could be charged today for having possessed a bump stock 2 years ago, not making a bump stock that was legal 2 years ago now illegal. No doubt it's all legalese word salad but it is an important difference, the other constitutional violations you pointed out notwithstanding.
    Yeah, I understand, I still say it applies, assuming there is no "grandfather" clause.

Previous bans on fully automatic or semi automatic weapons did not ban the possession of those already legally purchased.

The Volstead Act (Prohibition) did not ban the possession of alcohol, as another example.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast