Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden kayak

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Gorgeous.
    It's worth the time, guy has some skill....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    It's worth the time, guy has some skill....
    I'm biased of course, but I've always felt that wooden boatbuilding was the penultimate test of a woodworker's skill.

I'm biased of course, but I've always felt that wooden boatbuilding was the penultimate test of a woodworker's skill.
    I view marquetry inlaid furniture as the pinnacle....

That's the beauty of woodbutcherie, a man can keep learning new aspects up to the point he can no longer hold a tool....And most stuff that leaves his bench is appreciated...

[edit]
    Last edited by tod evans; 05-28-2017 at 11:19 AM.

I view marquetry inlaid furniture as the pinnacle....
    How about both?

How about both?
    Yup!

I've seen exquisite work on boats and planes...

Money and proper attitude buys craftsmanship....

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Beautiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

I like my brother's sheds more than his boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Yup!

I've seen exquisite work on boats and planes...

Money and proper attitude buys craftsmanship....
    Hahaha yes, yes it does.

The people that can afford to spend millions of dollars on what amounts to a plaything, have the money and the time to allow a craftsman to really strut his stuff.

Hahaha yes, yes it does.

The people that can afford to spend millions of dollars on what amounts to a plaything, have the money and the time to allow a craftsman to really strut his stuff.
    There are many I won't work for......I'd rather build kitchen cabs for someone who appreciates the work than some wallet that views my labor as a commodity....

When money and attitude are in sync beautiful things get made.

I wonder if Oyarde can get his tribe to make one of those for me.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I went kayaking yesterday but I have a crappy neon green plastic one. My son handed it down to me when he got a nicer one.

I wonder how heavy that thing is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I went kayaking yesterday but I have a crappy neon green plastic one. My son handed it down to me when he got a nicer one.

I wonder how heavy that thing is.
    I've got an old Necky tandem kevlar boat that's about 80# I'll bet yours is lighter than that...

I've got an old Necky tandem kevlar boat that's about 80# I'll bet yours is lighter than that...
    HA! Mine is a plastic sit on. I flip them too much to have a sit in and am too weak to move them when they get water in them. My son has a plastic sit in but he would be so jealous of your two seater. He's been eyeing one at Walmart that he can afford but it's been out of stock for awhile.

This is the exact one I have.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sun-Dolph...d=actual_color
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    HA! Mine is a plastic sit on. I flip them too much to have a sit in and am too weak to move them when they get water in them. My son has a plastic sit in but he would be so jealous of your two seater. He's been eyeing one at Walmart that he can afford but it's been out of stock for awhile.
    If he's responsible tell him to look for a used composite boat, hands down superior to plastic for everything but rock banging...

If he's responsible tell him to look for a used composite boat, hands down superior to plastic for everything but rock banging...
    I will. He's been looking on Craigslist but they go really fast around here - especially nice ones within his meager budget - $300.00, lol.

I will. He's been looking on Craigslist but they go really fast around here - especially nice ones within his meager budget - $300.00, lol.
    A friends son bought a torn composite canoe last year, fell off a trailer, almost no use, $150.00!

I milled him some new gunnel wood, he did the glass work and this summer he's paddling a 40# 16' canoe for about what your son has to invest....

The boat sold for $3500.00 new...

I've taken a recent interest in sailing, got a landlubber's sailing certificate so I could charter a daysailer now and again on vacation.

I fell in love with the boats, especially the wooden ones.

I got hooked on a youtube channel about a wooden sailboat restoration -- Restoring Susanna. Susanna is the boat's name. 4 years and over 70 episodes later, the boat is now launched. you can binge the over 200 hours of video at your leisure. It's a hoot, and a great learning experience.

I agree, OP, the wooden boat shipwright has to be one of the highest forms of woodworking there is. Amazing stuff.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

I went kayaking today , it is alot of fun getting pulled around with a 1 lb fish on 4lb test . Mine is plastic too but long and heavy .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    I've taken a recent interest in sailing, got a landlubber's sailing certificate so I could charter a daysailer now and again on vacation.

I fell in love with the boats, especially the wooden ones.

I got hooked on a youtube channel about a wooden sailboat restoration -- Restoring Susanna. Susanna is the boat's name. 4 years and over 70 episodes later, the boat is now launched. you can binge the over 200 hours of video at your leisure. It's a hoot, and a great learning experience.

I agree, OP, the wooden boat shipwright has to be one of the highest forms of woodworking there is. Amazing stuff.
    You might want to venture north this summer.

I have a buddy of mine that sailed in this race a couple of times.

Gloucester Schooner Race

http://www.libertyfleet.com/windjamm...-schooner-race

Three days of onboard berthing, racing and meals for $650?

Bargain at twice the price, I'd say.

I'm hoping in the next year or two son shows an interest in doing this with me...

http://rivermiles.com/

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

And don't let anybody tell you wooden boats are stodgy and slow...

And don't let anybody tell you wooden boats are stodgy and slow...
    I damn near $#@! myself in a 14' mahogany boat with a nitrous injected 150 2-stroke Black Max on the back of it.....

It'd almost sink if sitting still..

I damn near $#@! myself in a 14' mahogany boat with a nitrous injected 150 2-stroke Black Max on the back of it.....

It'd almost sink if sitting still..

F1 "pickle fork"! Had one my oneself...wicked fast.

And yes...my fat ass sunk it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I wonder if Oyarde can get his tribe to make one of those for me.
    In the old days we actually used what would be called a dugout canoe but ours were very , very nice . Our Northern brothers used Birch Bark canoes . If I quoted you a price on a wooden canoe it would be very high . I would also need a couple new Adze and good ones are hard to find and expensive .
    Do something Danke

You might want to venture north this summer.

I have a buddy of mine that sailed in this race a couple of times.

Gloucester Schooner Race

http://www.libertyfleet.com/windjamm...-schooner-race

Three days of onboard berthing, racing and meals for $650?

Bargain at twice the price, I'd say.
    Nice. I pretty much have to travel to find good wind.

Been thinking I'd enjoy crewing on a big sailing ship in some capacity...
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast