Thread: Trump becomes third president to renew extraordinary post-9/11 powers

Trump becomes third president to renew extraordinary post-9/11 powers

President Trump has become the third president to renew a post-9/11 emergency proclamation, stretching what was supposed to be a temporary state of national emergency after the 2001 terror attacks into its 17th year.But the ongoing effects of that perpetual emergency aren't immediately clear, because the executive branch has ignored a law requiring it to report to Congress every six months on how much the president has spent under those extraordinary powers, USA TODAY has found.
    Exactly 16 years ago Thursday, President Bush signed Proclamation 7463, giving himself sweeping powers to mobilize the military in the days following terrorist attacks that crashed planes into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and a Pennsylvania field. It allowed him to call up National Guard and Reserve troops, hire and fire military officers, and bypass limits on the numbers of generals that could serve.
    Presidents Bush and Obama renewed that emergency each year. And on Wednesday, Trump published a now-routine notice in the Federal Register extending the emergency for the 16th time, explaining simply that "the terrorist threat continues."
    But as Trump extends the emergency into a third presidential administration, legal experts say a review of those powers is long overdue.

More at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ers/661966001/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ... legal experts say a review of those powers is long overdue.
    best git to it then, eh?

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Temporarily Renew the Swamp!

It's triple DDD chess by Trump. Can't you see he is forcing Congress into a corner? Blargh, blargh, blargh.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Temporarily Renew the Swamp!
    Temporarily table Paul's AUMF repeal amendment!

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    It's triple DDD chess by Trump. Can't you see he is forcing Congress into a corner? Blargh, blargh, blargh.

More like:

Nikki babes introduces Trump to the General Assembly. **Ba-dum. Tisschh.**
    ... then he plugs his Towers.

I read the relevant statutes involved from Bush's original proclaimation. Seems pretty benign regarding congress wanting to designate the number of generals and officers (Colonels, Lieutenants etc.) and force strength of the reserve units, and during a national emergency proclamation, the president gains that flexibility. Its merely personnel management. During the times of the draft this probably made sense, but now that we are all volunteer, really doesn't make much sense for congress to write out limits like this. Congress has never reviewed these proclamations so obviously they don't care to micro manage at that level.
    Last edited by spudea; 09-18-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    I read the relevant statutes involved from Bush's original proclaimation. Seems pretty benign regarding congress wanting to designate the number of generals and officers (Colonels, Lieutenants etc.) and force strength of the reserve units, and during a national emergency proclamation, the president gains that flexibility. Its merely personnel management. During the times of the draft this probably made sense, but now that we are all volunteer, really doesn't make much sense for congress to write out limits like this. Congress has never reviewed these proclamations so obviously they don't care to micro manage at that level.
    Whether conscripted or voluntary, there is not one whit of difference. Do you checks and balance, bro?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Whether conscripted or voluntary, there is not one whit of difference. Do you checks and balance, bro?
    Well are we even supposed to have standing armies without a declaration of war by congress? Seems congress has been asleep for a hundred years. Maybe a do over is in order, but then that's a big hassle. Kinda like renewing my apartment lease. I want to move but then the costs and hassle of moving keeps me where I'm at.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Well are we even supposed to have standing armies without a declaration of war by congress? Seems congress has been asleep for a hundred years. Maybe a do over is in order, but then that's a big hassle. Kinda like renewing my apartment lease. I want to move but then the costs and hassle of moving keeps me where I'm at.
    Can't say I disagree. Apathy is as strong a drug as heroin.

The Senate has overwhelmingly approved a sweeping defense policy bill that would pump $700 billion into the military, putting the U.S. armed forces on track for a budget greater than at any time during the decade-plus wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    Nikki babes introduces Trump to the General Assembly. **Ba-dum. Tisschh.**
    ... then he plugs his Towers.

Hair, towers, and beautiful women: that's all he plugs.