Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The infamous Google Diversity Memo - Author Fired

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Illegal. I'm sure the company will say the reason for firing is something else.
    Yea, I don't think it is company's website but that is what the manager of my unit told me. And I don't think she would lie to me.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    DW loves her nurses union. I'm not a fan of unions in general, but for her job/workplace it fits. Of course, she is about the only nurse there that has actually read and understands their contract and regularly informs her coworkers of what their rights are under its terms. One of her new bosses tried screwing with her recently, she informed them that they were in breach of the contract and asked for her union rep. They apologized and stopped screwing with her immediately.
    Who is DW? and am I supposed to know him/her? we have panels made up of other nurses that look out for our interest but we don't have a union. I have never worked in a unionized hospital so I have nothing to compare it with. I can laugh off now about not having a union until the hospital screws me but just from my experience so far, its been all good.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Who is DW? and am I supposed to know him/her?
    https://www.lifewire.com/what-does-dh-stand-for-2483182

Alphabet Inc.’s Google has fired an employee who wrote an internal memo blasting the web company’s diversity policies, creating a firestorm across Silicon Valley.
    Phew! The cat's back in the bag.
    The Progress Train's back on dem tracks!
    These racist, sexist truths shan't virate,
    Those blissful normies won't learn facts.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Most every major US company now has one, or more.
    Whole groups now. Running around hysterically hunting witches and the outrage of the day.

It's a shame Sinead O'Conner hasn't found her true calling. She could be a VP.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

On the business side, a lot of companies have a disclaimer at the bottom of every email or text that basically says the communication is only for the person for which it was intended, and is not for publication or whatever. In that respect, publishing the memo is a big risk. There is probably a policy in the employee handbook if the employee had bothered to read it.

He makes excellent points, but I think he should have posted them as a stand-alone piece rather than as a response to a work memo.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Low value, disinformation post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    In before alt-right feels are more important than a company's ability to hire and fire as it pleases.
    How about, in before someone conflates using first amendment to complain about company's policies and bringing up important issues with telling a company who they can hire and fire, on a LIBERTARIAN messageboard no less??

Oh, sorry too late..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Danno, you and I think as reasonable, logical liberty people, realizing liberty extends to all, not just to us. I know in the last two places I've worked, there were clearly defined policy about sharing internal information and publications. If I published such a memo with my own responses, I would be fired, and properly so.

Libertarians need to think less responsively and more proactively. The writer's responses were very sane and logical, but they would have been stronger as a stand alone post rather than setting up Google to be the bad guy, as if they are they only ones. Liberty principles are broad and apply to everyone, not just Google.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Danno, you and I think as reasonable, logical liberty people, realizing liberty extends to all, not just to us. I know in the last two places I've worked, there were clearly defined policy about sharing internal information and publications. If I published such a memo with my own responses, I would be fired, and properly so.

Libertarians need to think less responsively and more proactively. The writer's responses were very sane and logical, but they would have been stronger as a stand alone post rather than setting up Google to be the bad guy, as if they are they only ones. Liberty principles are broad and apply to everyone, not just Google.
    I think he had enough of their $#@!, he knew he would most likely be fired and knew this was the best way to get the most public attention.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Fake news publishes fake memo, no surprises, here is the real one:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-is-FAKE-NEWS)

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I think he had enough of their $#@!, he knew he would most likely be fired and knew this was the best way to get the most public attention.
    Agreed. Smart move on his part. He made his point in a major way, and ensured his future job prospects.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    In before alt-right feels are more important than a company's ability to hire and fire as it pleases.
    The company is doing business with the government hence some additional rules are in place. Like having a diversity program. The idea came from ..... the government.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post

Another low value post. A pacifier aka. concern trolling.

conflates using first amendment to complain about company's policies and bringing up important issues with telling a company who they can hire and fire
    The 1st Amendment prohibits the state from prosecuting people for speech.

It places no burden of any kind on any private person, such as an employer, nor should it.

I dislike Google's leftist policies, but they have every right to enforce them.

Another low value, disinformation post:

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The 1st Amendment prohibits the state from prosecuting people for speech.

It places no burden of any kind on any private person, such as an employer, nor should it.

I dislike Google's leftist policies, but they have every right to enforce them.
    Could you respond to the post I made rather than just spewing bull$#@! that has nothing to do with what I said?

Stop acting like fake $#@!ing news. Dammit, I'm sick of this fake bull$#@! everywhere. I know what the first amendment is, and I never said Google shouldn't be allowed to fire them. All I said is we (me, you, the author, everybody) have the first amendment right to complain about their policies. Good God.
    Last edited by dannno; 08-08-2017 at 11:52 AM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Could you respond to the post I made rather than just spewing bull$#@! that has nothing to do with what I said?
    You said:

[the fired guy was] using first amendment to complain about company's policies and bringing up important issues
    I'm informing you that the 1st amendment has nothing to do with it.

You said:

I'm informing you that the 1st amendment has nothing to do with it.
    Yes it does, everybody has the right to free speech. I never said google didn't have the right to fire him for using free speech. We have the right to complain about Google's policies, and say that they are bad policies. I announce they have bad policies. OK?? TheCount was insinuating that there is nothing we can do, we can't complain at all because google can do what they want, we just have to sit back and accept it. That's bull$#@!. We can use our free speech to explain why they have bad policies and try to change people's minds.

You are fake news.
    Last edited by dannno; 08-08-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Yes it does, everybody has the right to free speech. I never said google didn't have the right to fire him for using free speech. I have the right to complain about Google's policies.
    Ah, so then your comment was just pointless and had no bearing on the Google story or what The Count said?

Ah, so then your comment was just pointless and had no bearing on the Google story or what The Count said?
    Yes it does, everybody has the right to free speech. I never said google didn't have the right to fire him for using free speech. We have the right to complain about Google's policies, and say that they are bad policies. I announce they have bad policies. OK?? TheCount was insinuating that there is nothing we can do, we can't complain at all because google can do what they want, we just have to sit back and accept it. That's bull$#@!. We can use our free speech to explain why they have bad policies and try to change people's minds.

You are fake news.

@dannno,

Quote Originally Posted by The Count
    How does this "conflate using first amendment to complain about company's policies...with telling a company who they can hire and fire"?

https://twitter.com/LibertarianBlue/...54242682875904
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

@dannno,

How does this "conflate using first amendment to complain about company's policies...with telling a company who they can hire and fire"?
    The Count used the phrase "ability to hire and fire as it pleases", in other words, he said that supportive folks of this guy would soon be along to say that google should not be allowed to hire and fire as they please - whereas the discussion that is occurring in this particular community is voicing our concerns (using the first amendment) about whether they are good policies or not - it has nothing to do with forcing google to hire and fire who they want, in fact that is the entire point.. Google has been forced to hire all these diversity SJWs into their organization because of government policies and government indoctrination in schools.. it has completely changed the nature of their organization. The whole point is that google should be hiring and rewarding employees based on merit, and not some arbitrary standard set by the failures in life known as SJWs. But again, should the government force them? No, of course not, that is the ENTIRE POINT.
    Last edited by dannno; 08-08-2017 at 12:22 PM.

OP updated with link to full version with live hyperlinks.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Count used the phrase "ability to hire and fire as it pleases", in other words, he said that supportive folks of this guy would soon be along to say that google should not be allowed to hire and fire as they please - whereas the discussion that is occurring in this particular community is voicing our concerns (using the first amendment) about whether they are good policies or not
    Ah, so your objection to the The Count's post was simply that he characterized altrighters as the anti-property people they are. Now I understand. See, your "conflation" language made it seem that you were saying that the 1st Amendment was the real issue in the Google case, when of course it has nothing to do with it.

New Google Technology Autocorrects Users’ Thoughts
    August 8, 2017

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA—At a special press conference held at the technology giant’s sprawling campus Tuesday, Google engineers revealed exciting new technology that autocorrects any errant thoughts its users are having, replacing them with positions approved by the company.

Utilizing advanced retinal scan and proprietary telepathic scanning technology, the new automatic thought correction algorithm is now live for users of Google’s search engine, Android operating system, Chrome OS, and the hundreds of other apps and services the company provides.

“Let’s say you start thinking there may be some kind of inherent biological difference between men and women,” Google employee Ryan Vo said in a live demo of the new tech. “Immediately, the thought suggestion program in any nearby Google device, app, or service will scrub the idea of inherent gender differences and replace them with the sure knowledge that there are at least three hundred different genders in existence, and always has been.”

“Google will begin rebuilding your mind, piece by piece,” he added to the cheers and applause of the tech bloggers and industry professionals gathered.

According to the spokesperson, Google is also utilizing crack teams of ex-military personnel to round up anyone who resists the new technology, taking them to a new portion of Google’s campus known as the “Department of Love” for questioning, reconditioning, and re-introduction into civilized society.

At publishing time, a jealous Mark Zuckerberg had put his best programmers on the job of attempting to reverse-engineer Google’s new thought correction algorithm for use on his own social network, sources confirmed.
    http://babylonbee.com/news/new-googl...sers-thoughts/

CNN Badly Misrepresents Arguments Made by Fired Author of Google Memo
    BY: Alex Griswold - August 8, 2017

Both online and on air, CNN misrepresented the content of a widely shared internal memo that led Google to fire one of its software engineers.

In a tweet, CNN claimed the author of the Google memo wrote that women "aren't suited for tech jobs."

CNN.com's write-up likewise claimed that the author of the "anti-diversity manifesto" argued "women aren't suited for tech jobs for ‘biological' reasons."

The same narrative emerged in CNN's on-air reporting. Host Poppy Harlow complained that the "anti-diversity" memo said "women are less suited for tech jobs than men. Why? Because they're women! Biologically, they can't do it."

But the actual memo simply does not say what CNN claims it does. To begin with, the author of the Google memo is not opposed to "diversity" in the abstract, but is opposed to Google's methods for advancing it.
    CNN's assertion that the author forwards the idea that women are biologically incapable of carrying out tech jobs likewise misunderstands his argument. The author actually argues it is possible that biological differences might impact women's job preferences, leading to the persistent gender gap in tech jobs.
    The author never comes anywhere close to saying women "can't do" tech jobs. He stresses that he is talking about men and women on average, and there are many women who are equal (or better) than the average man.

"Many of these differences are small and there’s significant overlap between men and women, so you can’t say anything about an individual given these population level distributions," he writes.

"I'm also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles," he concludes. "I'm advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)."
    More: http://freebeacon.com/culture/cnn-mi...r-google-memo/

Ah, so your objection to the The Count's post was simply that he characterized altrighters as the anti-property people they are.
    Uh, no, he said that alt-right people would be IN HERE claiming that google can't hire and fire who they want.

That was low value, disinformation, demonstrably untrue HORSE$#@!.

Stop defending horse$#@!, it's not getting you any respect from anybody here. I don't know if you noticed, but you are The Count are the only ones acting like little bitches in these google memo threads, everybody else is on the side of the guy who wrote the memo. What the $#@! are you even trying to do here? Seriously?

Now I understand. See, your "conflation" language made it seem that you were saying that the 1st Amendment was the real issue in the Google case, when of course it has nothing to do with it.
    You believe that a store owner should be allowed to put up a sign that says "No blacks allowed", correct? Do you believe that I should be able to use my first amendment protections to complain and protest a store if they did that? It doesn't mean I want it outlawed, it means I want to voice my displeasure and hopefully others would not purchase anything at the store voluntarily, or maybe the store will change their policy voluntarily.

I didn't know this was such a difficult concept.
    Last edited by dannno; 08-08-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast