Thread: Facebook Will Track What Physical Stores You Go Into

Facebook Will Track What Physical Stores You Go Into

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/0...es-you-go-into

Facebook will soon roll out a feature that will allow advertisers to see which brick and mortar stores you've physically walked into. These details are collected from anyone who has the location services feature turned on, Facebook says. The will allow advertisers to see in real time which Facebook ads are turning into actual sales. Popular Science reports:

Using the location services on your phone, Facebook will keep a tally of who goes to what stores, and show the anonymized numbers to advertisers, as evidence that buying ads on Facebook is getting people to visit brick-and-mortar businesses. It's a great thing for Facebook, which will now have excellent data to prove (or disprove) on a user-to-user basis what a store is getting for its advertising dollar. But it's a pretty frightening idea that a company will have information not unlike your credit card statement all from location services data.
    Oh? Did you stop at a red light where there is a hobo known to ask for money? You must be guilty of giving hobos money and or food, and we all know that food given to hobos is heavily regulated by the FDA or whoever and is subject to a fine. Oh? Did you drive close to your ex girlfriends house? You must be a cheater.

Without Privacy, everything you do becomes a crime. It just has yet to be criminalized.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't very often take my desktop PC with me when I shop.

I don't run the Facebook app, its a battery hog anyways
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

I don't use facebook, instagram, or any other social media. I am only 36 yrs old, but I feel like a geezer with all the young whipper snappers on their gizmos running into walls while they post about the fake life they want others to believe they are living....
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/0...es-you-go-into

Without Privacy, everything you do becomes a crime. It just has yet to be criminalized.
    Oh, trust me, it is already criminalized.

Just waiting for the proper level of surveillance to catch you.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    evidence that buying ads on Facebook is getting people to visit brick-and-mortar businesses
    What a joke, and another grand play by fb.
    Does anyone think this is only going to be used as "evidence"? No, you can bet this will be used to better target ads at users. Go to a Home Depot and you'll instantly get ads for Lowes, etc.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    I don't run the Facebook app, its a battery hog anyways
    All of that tracking of the users takes lots of processing and data bandwidth.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Does anyone think this is only going to be used as "evidence"? No, you can bet this will be used to better target ads at users. Go to a Home Depot and you'll instantly get ads for Lowes, etc.
    You'd be surprised at how effective you can use FB and advertisement to make money, and generate sales (if I'm understanding you correctly). I have a friend whom I won't name, and will explain why shortly) who makes HIGH 6 figures yearly with a FB page and a U-Store-It building. That money doesn't include what he makes charging companies to promote traffic to their websites and FB pages, which is a good amount as well, because he produces results.

The reason I won't get into who he is, is due to love of getting over on people. He likes to travel, but hates having to pay for something he can get for free with. He runs a missionary outreach. And don't get me wrong, he does do mission stuff, his "calling" always winds up being to somewhere he wants to go to. And while technically he's not defrauding anyone, he's not exactly on a holy mission either.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    You'd be surprised at how effective you can use FB and advertisement to make money, and generate sales (if I'm understanding you correctly). I have a friend whom I won't name, and will explain why shortly) who makes HIGH 6 figures yearly with a FB page and a U-Store-It building. That money doesn't include what he makes charging companies to promote traffic to their websites and FB pages, which is a good amount as well, because he produces results.

The reason I won't get into who he is, is due to love of getting over on people. He likes to travel, but hates having to pay for something he can get for free with. He runs a missionary outreach. And don't get me wrong, he does do mission stuff, his "calling" always winds up being to somewhere he wants to go to. And while technically he's not defrauding anyone, he's not exactly on a holy mission either.
    I still know some dudes making money there selling MREs and slop buckets to the infowars crowd, but they have someone working there who approves their ads. Usually those ads get rejected since they started cracking down on supplements.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Hm. I wonder if Google does anything like this. I don't have any social media accounts at all but I do have a Google+ just by the fact that I have an Android device.

I'm also wondering if I should switch out my battery to a non NFC one and do away with the NFC capability on my phone all together. Dang. It's always something. I don't even look at ads is the worst part of it. You know? I'm freakin spontaneous when I shop. But that goes back to targeted advertising. Just by virtue of walking by a store, they're burglarizing my trinket. And essentially me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Just think about how much better targeted their ads will be, its gonna be great.

What's gonna be really great is what the FBI will do with this data, after they demand Facebook turn it over. That's just gonna be awesome!
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Facebook cannot track me .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    FB...no, just add an I.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    FB...no, just add an I.
    Those guys cannot bother me , I am not interested in being a paid informant . It is against my religion.

Those guys cannot bother me , I am not interested in being a paid informant . It is against my religion.
    Your religion deals with illegal substances. FBI sent.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Your religion deals with illegal substances. FBI sent.
    According to my newspaper those guys are busy giving ordnance to muslims

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They can track your friends, and therefore you.

Unless of course your friends are as embittered and cynical as you are.

Last edited by TheTexan; 06-22-2016 at 11:34 PM.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Hm. I wonder if Google does anything like this. I don't have any social media accounts at all but I do have a Google+ just by the fact that I have an Android device.

Google does EXACTLY this... maybe even worse.

I don't have a Facebook account, and I've never signed up for Google+ (although as you mentioned, Google+ is on the phone by default, and I can't delete it).

Just a few days ago, I parked overnight in a truck stop parking lot. I was within a stone's throw of a motel. The following day, I got a "push" message through Google maps, asking "How did you like your stay at the Econolodge? Would you like to rate your stay? Would you consider this motel a good place for a weekend getaway?"

I hadn't even stayed at the motel But I was parked my truck close to it. Even more interesting? I had specifically turned off "tracking history" in Google's location services.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Google does EXACTLY this... maybe even worse.

I don't have a Facebook account, and I've never signed up for Google+ (although as you mentioned, Google+ is on the phone by default, and I can't delete it).

Just a few days ago, I parked overnight in a truck stop parking lot. I was within a stone's throw of a motel. The following day, I got a "push" message through Google maps, asking "How did you like your stay at the Econolodge? Would you like to rate your stay? Would you consider this motel a good place for a weekend getaway?"

I hadn't even stayed at the motel But I was parked my truck close to it. Even more interesting? I had specifically turned off "tracking history" in Google's location services.

That "Google Maps" app has a crapload of settings in it. You should definitely check those and turn certain ones off. One of their recent updates specifically does do what you mention here but you can turn that off in the Google Maps app settings. Tracking history itself is irrelevant of those functions/settings within the app itself.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    They can track your friends, and therefore you.

Unless of course your friends are as embittered and cynical as you are.

I like to think of it more as enlightened than bitter.