Thread: The Great Divorce

Exclamation The Great Divorce

The Great Divorce

https://www.takimag.com/article/the-great-divorce/

The Z Man

January 03, 2022

Most normal people have always known that there are people in the world who are just on the edge of sanity. Maybe it is the nutty aunt who is always into some cause, a cause that changes with the news cycle. Perhaps it is a friend who knows a bit too much about conspiracy theories. Of course, everyone has been cursed to know someone who thinks Hitler is hiding under their bed or in the fine print of the Republican platform.

Up until fairly recently, it was possible to get along with the crazy aunt or the old left-wing college buddy by avoiding certain topics. The cost of tolerating these mentally unstable people and keeping them from going berserk was to walk on eggshells around them in normal conversation. If you avoided their trigger topics, their insanity was for all practical purposes a private affair. It stayed in their head.

Social media changed this. One reason liberal democracy finds itself in a crisis is normal people have discovered just how many nutjobs there are in this world. Worse yet, we get a daily reminder on Facebook or Twitter that many of the people in positions of authority have heads full of nonsense. No man is a hero to his valet, and we have all become the valets of our ruling class through social media.

“Red states and blue states have been replaced with normal states and Covid states.”
    In the old days, it was possible to avoid mentioning a trigger topic around crazy Aunt Betty, but now your social media timeline is full of these people. They are like a plague of lunatics with infinite triggers. A mild joke about a politician can quickly become a three-hour argument online. The mass media age has made it almost impossible for normal people to avoid the insane.

Mencken famously said that “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” Social media in particular and mass media in general have made this a permanent condition. The constant interaction with the mentally unstable keeps everyone on edge. Instead of living lives of quiet desperation, the soundtrack of our lives is our revenge fantasies.

Of course, you could unplug, which is becoming a thing among people who are waking up to the reality of hyperreality. A big part of the dissident right is the process of separating from the Potemkin reality of liberal democracy. Cut the cord, drop off the mainstream social media platforms, and disconnect from the media. The new countercurrent mantra is “Turn off, tune out, drop out.”

The problem is, Covid has now allowed virtual madness to leave the matrix and invade the physical space. Everywhere you turn when out in public, you are reminded that there are many people with a tenuous grip on their sanity. For going on two years, the harridan with a mask has been stalking the public square, hunting the barefaced like she is rooting out the agents of Old Scratch.

The ceremonial face covering has become the mark of the beast. Everywhere you go there are people wearing a mask, often multiple masks. Talk to one of them and you quickly learn that they are not motivated by bad information. Instead, the masks and the other performative gestures are emotional support items. Instead of carrying a plush toy around for support, they are performing Covid rituals.

It is no longer possible to ignore what used to be private madness. A bit of carny trash assaulted an old man on an airplane who was trying to eat his dinner. Her reason for assaulting him was that he did not have on his mask while eating. This woman tested herself mid-flight, got a positive test for Covid, then locked herself in the toilet for the remainder of the flight. For the passengers, there was no escaping her madness.

These are entertaining cases, so they get lots of attention in the media and online, but the media is also pushing the madness. Whether it is crazy people taking over the media, or the media being told to trigger the deranged, the mass media now feeds the lunacy of the Covidians. They claim the health care system is about to collapse and society is on the brink of destruction due to Covid.

Most people had hoped that this madness was just a panic and that it would pass once people realized Covid was not an extinction event. It was just another relatively mild pandemic that has been a part of human existence since the beginning. Once the reality of Covid was made plain, so the thinking went, the panic-stricken would get back to normal, maybe having some anger at having made fools of themselves, with the encouragement of the mass media.

Two years on and this is clearly not happening. The Omicron variant is about as harmful as the common cold, but it is causing another wave of mass lunacy. There is increasing evidence that many of these people are hooked on panic. Their lives have become defined by this crusade against an invisible villain. The Covid rituals now define their lives. They were told they could never live with Covid, but now they cannot live without it.

As a result, America is separating into two realities. In a place like Florida, people are going about their business. Covid is a minor nuisance for most people and Covid theater is nonexistent. In a place like Massachusetts, this is the long dark winter promised by Joe Biden. The faithful wait for hours to be tested and then spend their days hiding in their homes. Red states and blue states have been replaced with normal states and Covid states.

These two realities are showing up in population movements. Normal people are fleeing the lands of the Covidian for places like Florida. For sure it is not just the lunacy of Covid theater, but it is playing a big role. We now live in two separate cultural and psychological spaces. There are those with triple masks, barrels of hand sanitizer, and a full booster card. Then there are the purebloods with their bare faces and their increasing impatience with the Covidian.

What Covid has done is bring two important questions to the fore. One is a question about the cause of this madness. Have we always had this number of crazy people, but they suffered in private, or has something caused many to go mad? It is possible that mass psychosis is an inevitable end to mass society. Perhaps knowing so much about the rest of us drives many humans insane. Ignorance really was bliss.

The other question is: how can we ever go back to normal knowing that so many people are on the edge of madness?

Even if we could turn it all off, can we forget that on every plane is a young woman ready to lock herself in the toilet or ready to pounce on the elderly at the first sign of the sniffles? Will normal people forget and forgive the obnoxious harridans harassing people over masks?

Like a marriage headed for divorce, Americans may be at that point of no return where one or both sides realize it is over. Normal people could tolerate the goofy politics and weird social fads, but Covid is the breaking point.

Normal people are not just out of patience, they want out of this dysfunctional relationship.

Normal people want a divorce from the mentally unstable. This relationship has reached its end.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One of the things that happened about the time Trump started, was conservatives no longer giving in to leftists. People became fed up that the compromise that leftists always ask for and always get gives them everything they want, just over a 4-5 year period.

Conservatives aren't politely putting up with it anymore, and the leftists are freaking out. They do everything based on emotion and can't take someone questioning their dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt4Liberty View Post
    One of the things that happened about the time Trump started, was conservatives no longer giving in to leftists. People became fed up that the compromise that leftists always ask for and always get gives them everything they want, just over a 4-5 year period.

Conservatives aren't politely putting up with it anymore, and the leftists are freaking out. They do everything based on emotion and can't take someone questioning their dogma.
    On top of that, probably one of the best things to happen over the last 5 year period is a massive decline in trust in the mainstream media (wish it could have happened in 2008, but better late than never?). Even Fox News took a hit after its failure to even want to discuss election fraud. Newsmax was looking good for a while, but then even they suffered because they backed down in the face of defamation lawsuits. Clearly big media is not driven by ratings because they continue to peddle nonsense while their ratings plummet. When someone is banned from Twitter/Facebook etc. it now becomes a badge of honor rather than a punishment.

My concern is what happens after hardly anybody believes the news anymore. If they can't use propaganda to entice you to believe what they want, they will use more violent measures. Or just do away with you on account of your heresy.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

IMPEACH!

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Time to separate from the Great Satan that is running this country and every aspect of our lives.

Wherever their evil political parties have their hands in, including at the local, county, state and federal, separate. All their businesses, financial services, their monopolies and conglomerates, separate. The news media and Hollywood entertainment propaganda complex, separate.

Time to stop feeding the beast, separate.
    Last edited by kahless; 01-10-2022 at 09:51 AM.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

The article is spot on.
    ''There were four million people in the American Colonies and we had Jefferson and Franklin. Now we have over 300 million and the two top guys are Trump and Biden. What can you draw from this? Darwin was wrong.'' ~ Mort Sahl

Quote Originally Posted by Matt4Liberty View Post

Trump basically gave permission to people to be rude. In times like this, rudeness is exactly what is required.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Time to separate from the Great Satan that is running this country and every aspect of our lives.

Wherever their evil political parties have their hands in, including at the local, county, state and federal, separate. All their businesses, financial services, their monopolies and conglomerates, separate. The news media and Hollywood entertainment propaganda complex, separate.

Time to stop feeding the beast, separate.
    I know I speak for a lot of others when I say this. I knew how bad it was for a long time, but the past two years have opened my eyes even further to the pure evil that permeates nearly everything we "need" to make it in this world. Every institution has been not only infiltrated, but full blown takeovers have happened and its out in the open. They don't even care that we are on to them. Minor inconveniences.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

Don't care anymore. Don't have it in me to argue with them any longer. I just ignore them now. I sleep well knowing that when the $#@! finally hits the fan they are all going to die quickly.

Like an abusive husband, they don't just let you leave peacefully.

Besides, the divide is urban vs non-urban... how do you separate that?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Don't care anymore. Don't have it in me to argue with them any longer. I just ignore them now. I sleep well knowing that when the $#@! finally hits the fan they are all going to die quickly.
    It won't be that easy. The elites will just pay in whatever form of currency is available to their minions that oppose you to handle those that do not comply.

They control the narrative and the people on the right think that are on their side, including on the fringes. They will use that power to get the opposition to comply even without realizing it. They own everyone that has a name the common man is familiar with and will use that power accordingly.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Besides, the divide is urban vs non-urban... how do you separate that?
    Not everywhere, it isn't. I live in a city where the mass formation of psychotics are handily outnumbered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

It is no longer possible to ignore what used to be private madness. A bit of carny trash assaulted an old man on an airplane who was trying to eat his dinner. Her reason for assaulting him was that he did not have on his mask while eating. This woman tested herself mid-flight, got a positive test for Covid, then locked herself in the toilet for the remainder of the flight. For the passengers, there was no escaping her madness.
    An interesting observation: disconnecting yourself leaves you vulnerable to believing the media narratives that slip through, or mixing them up.

The way that paragraph is written, the author has combined two separate incidents. One was the confrontation in the aisle, the other was the woman who locked herself in the bathroom.

And the crazy Baywatch women in the aisle (her craziness is self-evident) did not really attack the guy for not wearing a mask. The guy uninitiated a conflict, at which point she attacked him in whatever way she thought might be the most effective. A common trait of emotional people. She was mad about something else, but attacked him with whatever tool was within in reach. The full story was not publicized much compared to the "mask attack" part, so the spin is understandable.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Like an abusive husband, they don't just let you leave peacefully.
    Fine with me, let there be blood, if that's what is demanded by them.

Fear of conflict is not a valid reason to stay in abusive relationship. Except for women. Who have no balls.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    It won't be that easy. The elites will just pay in whatever form of currency is available to their minions that oppose you to handle those that do not comply.

They control the narrative and the people on the right think that are on their side, including on the fringes. They will use that power to get the opposition to comply even without realizing it. They own everyone that has a name the common man is familiar with and will use that power accordingly.
    I will become a warlord if society falls apart. Not even slighly kidding. I have no qualms about doing what needs to be done to survive. The soft leftists masses do.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I will become a warlord if society falls apart. Not even slighly kidding. I have no qualms about doing what needs to be done to survive. The soft leftists masses do.
    - Kim Kardashian

I'm not sure my marriage can last another year or two of this "emergency." If not, my collapse patronus will be a mashup of Jack Burton, Johnny Cash, and Tom Horn.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken