Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a Free Town or County

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    A New Hampshire resident recently lamented that there is a dire shortage of money coming into the state with Free-Staters (most people are either wage slaves or in some cases, welfare recipients). Is that true?
    Lol. Haters gonna hate. If that is true, NH voters must love to elect poor people because we have been winning elections like gangbusters. Free staters have won too many elections to keep track. It is well over 100, though

Are there any places where property taxes are fully directed to the county government , with none going to state government?
    The property tax bill either breaks down into municipal/county/school/state school sections or in some places, there is no tax bill because there are no property taxes.

The state school section doesn't go to the state. A formula is used, and it is sent to school districts around the state. The state government controls the formula. Sen. Shaheen put this in place when she was the governor of NH. She tried to put a sales tax in place, people told her WTF, so she did this instead. It allows the NH state government to pretend that it pays for a huge section of the government k-12 schools, when it is actually local property taxes, raised by local governments, and spent by local governments.

To answer your question, no property tax money goes to the state. As for the county government, that's typically the smallest section of the property tax bill. The counties do very little so they need very little money to operate. The NH system is very local when it comes to taxes and spending. Towns and cities are where the purse strings are at. And in towns, the voters control the purse strings because they literally control how much the town spends/taxes, unlike almost every other state.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

This u-haul is getting really expensive, I packed up everything and have been waiting to go for months! Can someone tell me the destination to libertarian paradise please.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    This u-haul is getting really expensive, I packed up everything and have been waiting to go for months! Can someone tell me the destination to libertarian paradise please.
    Destinations abound, but interested migrants seem scarce. At least on RPF.

The idea is very doable, but it requires a significant number of strongly committed, strongly libertarian individuals and families.

Quote Originally Posted by Foundation_Of_Liberty View Post

"Imagine what a committed, coordinated libertarian base could achieve in America! 10 percent of the US population, or roughly thirty-two million people, would be an unstoppable force of nonviolent withdrawal from the federal leviathan."
    First, let's try finding 32.

Then, maybe 320.

First, let's try liberating a small town or county.

Then, much later, maybe we can realistically think about liberating the whole continent.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I still think this is a highly promising idea.

I'm in but it has to be in the South or Alaska

Again I would vote for somewhere in the Midwest/Northwest.... flyover country, as it were.

Confining oneself to the jam-packed northeast was never a smart move. I think enough liberty lovers already live in various places in the center of the country and would more easily relocate to a more centered destination than NH. Hell there's already a massive liberty/prepper community called the American Redoubt. If there were an organized effort to have a freestateproject in the mid/northwest??? $#@! you'd have massive influence over the entire state before too long. States like Wyoming, Idaho, etc have very small populations and LOOOOOOOOTS OF LAND.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Talking to my neighbor yesterday......

There's a community in Tx. that's all about preserving the old ways, smithing, carpentry, hunting, farming,food/storage etc. He said they were several thousand strong already and his daughter and her husband were moving next month...

Given my knowledge of the family there's a strong Christian bend to the association but I don't see that as a bad thing...

If anybody is curious I'll try and remember to get more details?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Talking to my neighbor yesterday......

There's a community in Tx. that's all about preserving the old ways, smithing, carpentry, hunting, farming,food/storage etc. He said they were several thousand strong already and his daughter and her husband were moving next month...

Given my knowledge of the family there's a strong Christian bend to the association but I don't see that as a bad thing...

If anybody is curious I'll try and remember to get more details?
    let's hear it

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    let's hear it
    I've given you what I remember of our conversation. I'll try to remember to get more details next time we talk..

I've given you what I remember of our conversation. I'll try to remember to get more details next time we talk..
    thanks!

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Again I would vote for somewhere in the Midwest/Northwest.... flyover country, as it were.

Confining oneself to the jam-packed northeast was never a smart move. I think enough liberty lovers already live in various places in the center of the country and would more easily relocate to a more centered destination than NH. Hell there's already a massive liberty/prepper community called the American Redoubt. If there were an organized effort to have a freestateproject in the mid/northwest??? $#@! you'd have massive influence over the entire state before too long. States like Wyoming, Idaho, etc have very small populations and LOOOOOOOOTS OF LAND.
    Northern Idaho is really nice country. And close enough I would seriously consider plopping some money down on a place, I could commute until I established enough connections to get by there.
    "The Patriarch"

Liechtenstein is the best choice

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    If there is enough interest, perhaps we can convince Bryan, the site owner, to set us up a little sub-section where we can talk and build a community.

So the first step is to gauge the feasibility by trying to find as many people as possible who are so sick of not having liberty and committed to getting liberty that they are willing to uproot themselves and relocate. Then we can gather together here as like-minded individuals and take stock of the situation.
    So.... what should we talk about?

Let's keep the conversation going! What would be interesting, let's see..... well, as long as we're thinking about moving, what goes right along with that is housing. You'll have to live somewhere in the new place.

What would be your ideal home?

Something like this, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Yes, though I imagine he did it satirically with tongue firmly in cheek, the video-maker actually does give a fairly grounded, logical framework for how to go about starting your own country.

I own the book How to Start Your Own Country and it is good as well.

Lonely Planet's Travel Guide to Micronations is a riot and you can see how actual people have actually done it, both successfully and otherwise.

I'm in but it has to be in the South or Alaska
    Would you rule out the west?

I live in northern Arkansas and my son and I have talked about buying a town for just this purpose. I would be up for something like this but I couldn't do this with a bunch of atheist who hate Christians. I can live and let live but my experience has been that atheists can not.

thanks!
    I spoke to the neighbor and remembered to ask...

http://www.homesteadheritage.com/

I skimmed the site, lotsa good ideas but the Anabaptist doctrine kind of leaves me out....

I'm 100% down with the self sustainability and craftsmanship though....

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Let's keep the conversation going! What would be interesting, let's see..... well, as long as we're thinking about moving, what goes right along with that is housing. You'll have to live somewhere in the new place.

My tools currently occupy 4000 feet.........And I need a bed/shower and kitchen.

Otherwise Hell Yeah!

That, is camping.
    "The Patriarch"

Trying to get control of local government is worthwhile, but the gains for liberty are going to be quite small - and quite possibly not worth the cost of a big migration. Most of our oppression is at the hands of the federal government and the states, and one can't meaningfully escape that just by controlling an inferior government. Local governments are creatures of the states, to be altered or abolished as they please. Even if present laws allow substantial autonomy, those laws can be changed - and will be once the authorities realize what's happening.

I'm not saying don't try to do this, but have realistic expectations.

If the goal is to live among like minded people, have a certain local culture, do cooperative prepping, etc great.

If the goal is to actually free yourself from the oppressive laws of this country, you're going to be disappointed.

For the latter to be realistic, you'd have to at least control a state, and even then gains would be limited (see: 1861-65).

Would you rule out the west?
    if it is worth it i would not rule out anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by reduen View Post
    I live in northern Arkansas and my son and I have talked about buying a town for just this purpose. I would be up for something like this but I couldn't do this with a bunch of atheist who hate Christians. I can live and let live but my experience has been that atheists can not.
    in 10 years I will hit you up, my girlfriend and I will be buying an old plantation home in the South and we are as Christian as it gets. we could make good neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by MallsRGood View Post
    If the goal is to actually free yourself from the oppressive laws of this country, you're going to be disappointed.
    Nay, it is you who will be very, very surprised.

If I manage to round up 1,000 high-quality, moral, principled people, and we move, you don't even know how huge that is. And yes, the initial expectations are going to be modest and reasonable. But you would be very surprised what could be done and how much power a Sheriff has, along with a mayor, city council, county commission, etc., if all are highly intelligent, motivated, and on the same page. As well as patient and firmly determined.

if it is worth it i would not rule out anywhere.
    Yeah, same here.

I just asked because the west seems to be a popular choice with a lot of people here.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    That sounds delightful

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast