Thread: 'The Matrix' Reboot: It's Finally Happened. Hollywood Has Run Out of All the Ideas

'The Matrix' Reboot: It's Finally Happened. Hollywood Has Run Out of All the Ideas

https://entertainment.slashdot.org/s...-all-the-ideas

In our hearts, we all knew this day would come. Warner Bros. is planning a reboot of The Matrix just 18 years after the iconic sci-fi action film dazzled audiences around the world, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The Matrix films were lauded for their creativity, special effects, and distinct cyberpunk and manga influences. In total, the trilogy grossed over $1.6 billion worldwide. The Matrix will join other famous film properties -- Star Wars, Godzilla, Planet of the Apes, and Terminator among them -- receiving a recent franchise reboot or "reimagining." Others include RoboCop, Star Trek, Ghostbusters, and Jurassic Park. Meanwhile, reboots of Indiana Jones, Predator, Jumanji, and every superhero movie that's ever existed, are scheduled to hit theaters soon. And TV, for its part, is a dystopian wasteland of bland prequels to famous action movies. Hollywood relying on tentpole franchises, instead of taking risks on original ideas, is not new or surprising. But many believed that certain properties like The Matrix were off limits -- at least so soon after originally being made. It's clear now, though, that the major film studios can't afford to wait. They have no other ideas. This puts the studios in a precarious situation, because the once tried-and-true strategy of inundating cinemas with popular franchise extensions no longer looks as foolproof as it used to.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Seven storylines

In my opinion it was a long time ago that Hollywood ran out of ideas.
    It's just waiting for the moment when computers write the stories.

See the following quote from another thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-by-the-movies
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    SEVEN STORYLINES
    The following article describes that there are only 7 stories that sum up all of movies: http://lenwilson.us/seven-stories/
    According to Vladimir Propp there is a limited set of only 8 character types in all stories: http://changingminds.org/disciplines...p_personae.htm

I read quite a bit. At least 40 novels a year. There is plenty of material out there that could be adapted to the big screen. Lazy. I think this is the reason for the rise in block buster mini-series by independent cable channels. They do the things that Hollywood won't.

Of course the original Matrix did not contain a slew of LGBT characters. I'm betting the house the "re-imaging" does.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 03-16-2017 at 06:26 AM.

I think it easy to understand how they can run out of ideas, especially when you make 1000s of movies every year for 60+ years. At this point every movie made can be described as a variation or combination of ideas from two or more movies already made.

There is no shame in that, just as long as the remake or reboot is well made and exciting. I hear this all the time about how movie studios keep going back to sequels, prequels and reboots but sadly, that is what sells. The audience when given a choice votes for those movies with their hard earned dollars and yet they complain that is what they are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I think it easy to understand how they can run out of ideas, especially when you make 1000s of movies every year for 60+ years. At this point every movie made can be described as a variation or combination of ideas from two or more movies already made.

There is no shame in that, just as long as the remake or reboot is well made and exciting. I hear this all the time about how movie studios keep going back to sequels, prequels and reboots but sadly, that is what sells. The audience when given a choice votes for those movies with their hard earned dollars and yet they complain that is what they are getting.
    That's because society would rather have $1.00 burgers every night than oats for a few nights and filet-mignon one night..

Instant gratification.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    That's because society would rather have $1.00 burgers every night than oats for a few nights and filet-mignon one night..

Instant gratification.
    I think those ideas are still good items but the problem is that they are overdone. I say its sorta like eating filet-mignon every other day for your lifetime

Related:

Rebooting The Matrix? Yeah, That’s Not How Nostalgia Works
    https://www.wired.com/2017/03/the-ma...oot-nostalgia/

Remakes and reboots rarely work to begin with. Those that succeed typically do so because new technology fostered a better presentation of the story (the ape in Kong: Skull Island, for example) or because a filmmaker found a better way of telling the story (Dredd is a vastly better adaption of 2000 AD than Judge Dredd). Neither would benefit The Matrix. Aside from those spring-loaded slider phones, the tech and ideas in that film look as fresh today as they did 18 years ago—and more importantly, the Wachowskis’ vision of the future seems just as plausible.

Last year’s Ghostbusters reboot almost fell into this trap. Even though the original debuted in 1984, the concept aged well. Improvements in VFX made Slimer a lot cooler, but the franchise didn’t need the do-over. Fans tried to make this point, but some of them smothered it in such blatant sexism that any valid argument got lost in the noise. I’m glad Paul Feig made the movie, if for no other reason than everyone saw Kate McKinnon completely unhinged a chance, but no one needed it. A rebooted Ghostbusters didn’t ruin anyone’s childhood (there, I said it), but it didn’t bring back fond memories, either.

Just quoting the worth while stuff there...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

The audience when given a choice votes for those movies with their hard earned dollars and yet they complain that is what they are getting.
    I don't think the audiences are complaining so much as the the people who have to watch movies for a living (film critics).

If I was required to watch and then write about all that Hollywood garbage day in day out I would get beaten down in a hurry lol
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's an easy and lazy money maker for the studios.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I read quite a bit. At least 40 novels a year. There is plenty of material out there that could be adapted to the big screen. Lazy. I think this is the reason for the rise in block buster mini-series by independent cable channels. They do the things that Hollywood won't.

Of course the original Matrix did not contain a slew of LGBT characters. I'm betting the house the "re-imaging" does.
    Kind of ironic, especially if the Wachowski sisters are involved...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It's an easy and lazy money maker for the studios.
    Thats not a fair assessment of what Hollywood puts out. The remakes and reboots they actually produce are just a small fraction of what they make. The problem is that the audience are too safe and cautious with their money that they rarely give new ideas and new franchises a chance. I saw a movie recently called to "Hell or High water" that was so good. The characters were well developed, the dialogue, the acting, the morals of the story were spot on and it was very engaging.

It was also not a remake or reboot but barely anybody saw it. People would rather go see King Kong that has been made, remade, retool, recontructed and rebooted a 1000x before risking paying for a movie title they've never heard about.

Thats not a fair assessment of what Hollywood puts out. The remakes and reboots they actually produce are just a small fraction of what they make. The problem is that the audience are too safe and cautious with their money that they rarely give new ideas and new franchises a chance. I saw a movie recently called to "Hell or High water" that was so good. The characters were well developed, the dialogue, the acting, the morals of the story were spot on and it was very engaging.

It was also not a remake or reboot but barely anybody saw it. People would rather go see King Kong that has been made, remade, retool, recontructed and rebooted a 1000x before risking paying for a movie title they've never heard about.
    Sounds like you agree it's an easy money maker.

It is hard for a good movie to get exposure that is not part of the Hollywood marketing machine. The awards shows are no help, as they are pure insider politics.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Count on it.

Neo will be a transqu eer black person.

Thank christ the outrage was loud enough that they $#@! canned the idea of a "Jaws" reboot.