Thread: Guys, your cup of joe comes with compounds that fight prostate cancer

Guys, your cup of joe comes with compounds that fight prostate cancer

Guys, your cup of joe comes with compounds that fight prostate cancer

by: Melissa Smith

How’s this for a good excuse to have another cup of joe: Research suggested that drinking coffee might lower a man’s risk of prostate cancer. Researchers from Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science in Japan identified compounds in coffee called kahweol acetate and cafestol that may inhibit the growth of prostate cancer in cell culture and in mice.

Coffee contains various compounds that have been shown to affect human health both positively and negatively. There is increasing evidence that links drinking certain types of coffee to a lower incidence of certain cancers, including prostate cancer. Therefore, the Japanese researchers looked at the effects of coffee compounds on prostate cancer cells in vivo and in vitro. (Related: How drinking coffee reduces cancer risk.)

Kahweol acetate and cafestol are hydrocarbons naturally found in Arabica coffee. The researches noted that the coffee-making process affects whether these compounds remain in coffee after brewing or whether they are removed.

Initially, the researchers tested six coffee compounds on the proliferation of human prostate cancer cells in vitro. They found that cells treated with kahweol acetate and cafestol grew slower than controls.

Then, they tested these compounds on prostate cancer cells in mice. They found that kahweol acetate and cafestol individually suppressed the growth of cancer cells in mice. However, this effect intensified when both compounds were combined. Tumors in mice treated with both compounds grew by around just over one and a half times the original size, while untreated tumors grew by three and a half times the original size.

As this is a pilot study, the researchers noted that more studies are needed to determine if the findings can be applied to humans. Nonetheless, the results showed that these compounds seem to have an effect on drug-resistant prostate cancer cells in the right circumstances.

“These are promising findings, but they should not make people change their coffee consumption,” explained Atsushi Mizokami, one of the researchers of the study. “Coffee can have both positive and negative effects (for example it can increase hypertension), so we need to find out more about the mechanisms behind these findings before we can think about clinical applications. However, if we can confirm these results, we may have candidates to treat drug-resistant prostate cancer.”

The research team is currently considering how they might test these findings in a large sample, and then in humans. They published their study in the journal The Prostate and presented it at the European Association of Urology congress in Barcelona, Spain.

Reasons why drinking coffee can be healthy
    Experts estimate that people all over the world drink around 2.25 billion cups of coffee every day. Many people drink coffee for an energy boost, but coffee has other potential health benefits:

Prevents diabetes – Drinking coffee may prevent the development of Type 2 diabetes. One study, which was published in the journal Diabetologia, reveals that people who drank at least one cup of coffee per day over four years reduced their risk of Type 2 diabetes by 11 percent. Drinking four to six cups of caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee daily may also lower the risk of metabolic syndromes, including Type 2 diabetes, according to a meta-analysis published in the BMJ.

Improves heart health – Several studies suggest that drinking coffee in moderation may prevent heart disease. One study published in the journal Circulation revealed drinking two 8-ounce servings of coffee per day may lower your risk of heart failure by 11 percent.

Drinking coffee in moderation is important because too much of it can negatively affect your health. To maintain a healthy heart and a normal blood pressure, you must avoid drinking over six cups of coffee in a day. Drinking too much coffee can also cause anxiety, agitation, headache, and ringing in the ears. You should also be watchful of the add-ons you put in your coffee. Cream, sugar, sweeteners, and flavoring ingredients can add calories and fat, which can also negatively affect your health.

Sources include:

ScienceDaily.com

MedicalNewsToday.com

Healthline.com
    https://www.naturalnews.com/2019-11-...te-cancer.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That totally explains why guys who drink coffee never get cancer.

I know for a fact that Mike is paying people to share links these days. You getting in on that Donna?

Drinking four to six cups of caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee daily may also lower the risk of metabolic syndromes, including Type 2 diabetes, according to a meta-analysis published in the BMJ.
    On the other hand,

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...e-isnt-healthy

But if you frequently have half a dozen cups or more, you could be setting yourself up for some serious health complications, a new study in The American Journal of Clinical NutritionTrusted Source reports.

Australian researchers found that drinking six or more coffees a day increases a person’s risk of heart disease by as much as 22 percent.

In the United States, nearly half of adults has some form of cardiovascular disease, and it’s responsible for one in every fourTrusted Source deaths annually.
    “Coffee can cause insomnia, nervousness, restlessness, upset stomach, nausea, and vomiting, increased heart rate and breathing rate, and other side effects,” Rissetto says. “Consuming large amounts of coffee might also cause headache, anxiety, agitation, ringing in the ears, and irregular heartbeat.”

And now, thanks to the study from Prof Hyppönen and Dr. Zhou, we know caffeine can cause high blood pressure, which is a precursor for cardiovascular disease.

It’s not the caffeine alone that can be harmful to a person either. Many coffee drinkers load their java up with cream, sugar, or sweeteners and flavoring ingredients that add calories and fat, which bring a host of their own potential health issues.

“The many ‘add-ons’ that we put in our coffee can have serious negative impacts on our health,” says Dr. Garth Graham, a former deputy assistant secretary at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and current president of Aetna Foundation and Vice President for Community Health & Impact for CVS Health.

“Adding syrupy flavorings plus an additional packet of sugar or artificial sweeter, milk, or cream and then topping it all off with a dollop of whipped cream may be a nice treat once in a while, but those who do this regularly are putting themselves at increased risk related to excess calories,” he said.
    More at link.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    So, Natural News believes in evidence based research in this instance. Seems odd.

https://www.cancercenter.com/communi...prevent-cancer

“There has been some concern about acrylamide, which is formed when coffee beans are roasted,” Dr. Perre says. In a court decision that stirred much debate, a California judge ruled that coffee sold in the state required a cancer warning because of the presence of acrylamide. The substance is listed among 900 chemicals that require warning labels under the state’s Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act, known as Prop 65. Acrylamide is a chemical used in the production of some paper and plastic products. It also forms in some starchy foods cooked at high temperatures. According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), “most of the studies done so far have not found an increased risk of cancer in humans.” But the ACS suggests more studies are needed. “For now, it is suggested that we may wish to reduce our consumption of other foods high in acrylamide—like French fries, potato chips, crackers, bread, cookies and breakfast cereals,” Dr. Perre says.

Can drinking hot coffee or other beverages increase cancer risk?

In 2016, WHO classified hot beverages as a probable carcinogen after the International Agency for Research on Cancer concluded that very hot beverages can cause cell damage and inflammation that may lead to cancer. Experts recommend not drinking hot beverages above 149 degrees Fahrenheit, or 65 degrees Celsius.
    Everything has its benefits and risks.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-01-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

More at link.
    There always is..

That still does not convince me that the mild Tinnitus I have is caused by Caffeine. and not trigger time with an M-16.. and a couple of real close 500lb booms.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    There always is..

That still does not convince me that the mild Tinnitus I have is caused by Caffeine. and not trigger time with an M-16.. and a couple of real close 500lb booms.
    haha , thanks for reminding me, I've had it for 30 years or more, I never really focus on
    it unless someone mentions it.

Tea has similar benefits and tastes better-plus no caffeine buzz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    My hats off to you , I always get the feeling that tea drinkers just say they like it.
    I never got the tea thing, but love coffee, not starbucks yukkkk, just good black coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    haha , thanks for reminding me, I've had it for 30 years or more, I never really focus on
    it unless someone mentions it.

Blends with the crickets,, and listening to crickets is the only time I notice.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

My hats off to you , I always get the feeling that tea drinkers just say they like it.
    I never got the tea thing, but love coffee, not starbucks yukkkk, just good black coffee.
    Typically brewed black tea, though. Green tea tends to taste like chlorine. *Good* specialty brews are pretty rare in my experience. Have to get that kind of thing imported as a general rule. Give tea another chance, and it may grow on ya.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 12-01-2019 at 10:42 PM.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I get way more anxious with tea.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Typically brewed black tea, though. Green tea tends to taste like chlorine. *Good* specialty brews are pretty rare in my experience. Have to get that kind of thing imported as a general rule. Give tea another chance, and it may grow on ya.

I don't believe I've ever had Black Tea, must put it on the list, give it a try.

I still have a half box of organic green tea, it was recommended that I add g tee to my diet,
    it didn't seem to do anything.

lol though , my dog got an acute ear infection, mixed with apple cider vinegar, 50/50 cleared
    it up in a few days. (had found the recipe and how-to on youtube).

I'm glad you have your Black Tea, the beauty of these rituals can't be replaced with anything
    I know of, for me the Coffee (two to two and a half cups) in the morning (now) is absolute
    magic. These little pick me ups are something that imbeds in our psyche and boosts
    our moral, one of those little things in our daily schedule that makes it easier to get out of bed,
    especially when it's < 40° f and the heater's working overtime.

That's my choice, strong enough to stand the spoon up in.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Blends with the crickets,, and listening to crickets is the only time I notice.
    ha ha, we don't have crickets out here, that I've noticed, if we do, they don't chirp. Ca was
    cricket central.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    That's my choice, strong enough to stand the spoon up in.
    Right, ... whenever I'm getting coffee where I suspect they may have
    a lot of that French Vanilla type coffee, when they ask, I say; '' do have any Arco or Shell?''

When I started coffee early 80's , it was cream and sugar, I guess after about
    5 years into that regiment I must have discovered real coffee, nothing like it, awesome,
    no point messing good coffee up with foreign materials....

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Right, ... whenever I'm getting coffee where I suspect they may have
    a lot of that French Vanilla type coffee, when they ask, I say; '' do have any Arco or Shell?''

When I started coffee early 80's , it was cream and sugar, I guess after about
    5 years into that regiment I must have discovered real coffee, nothing like it, awesome,
    no point messing good coffee up with foreign materials....
    I started coffee '69 or '70, tried sugar a few times but never milk.......Never had a yuppie coffee and don't plan to, but Irish coffee is another matter....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I started coffee '69 or '70, tried sugar a few times but never milk.......Never had a yuppie coffee and don't plan to, but Irish coffee is another matter....

Black Coffee
    Irish Coffee

Racists!! the lot' of us.......

I can't remember Irish Coffee very clearly , but best I recollect, it made me smile, in a good way.

I need to go back to drinking coffee. Its probably been 6 or 7 months since the last time I had it.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    I get way more anxious with tea.
    Odd. Maybe try some different brews that are more mellow. Some tea has quite a bit of caffeine, so watch for that.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 12-02-2019 at 09:50 AM.

My brother drinks ginger flavored herbal tea. He usually falls asleep within in hour after consuming it. But then he'll wake up a few hours later wide awake and finds it difficult to fall back to sleep.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 12-02-2019 at 06:11 PM.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge