Thread: How curry spice helped a dying woman beat cancer

How curry spice helped a dying woman beat cancer

How curry spice helped a dying woman beat cancer... but why isn’t more being done to harness the healing power of turmeric?

By Lois Rogers For The Daily Mail
    PUBLISHED: 17:03 EDT, 24 July 2017

After five years of living with cancer and the ravages of side-effects from repeated unsuccessful treatment, Dieneke Ferguson thought she was finally losing the battle. She had a serious relapse and there seemed little hope.

Dieneke had been diagnosed with the blood cancer myeloma in 2007 and had undergone three rounds of chemotherapy as well as four stem cell transplants.

‘I have been on all sorts of toxic drugs and the side-effects were terrifying,’ she says. ‘At one point I lost my memory for three days, and in 2008 two of the vertebrae in my spine collapsed so I couldn’t walk. They injected some kind of concrete into my spine to keep it stable.’

Yet, despite all this, ‘nothing worked: there was just too much cancer — all my options were exhausted, and there was nothing else I could do,’ she says.

Then Dieneke started a new treatment — not another high-tech, expensive drug, but a remedy based on something many of us have in our kitchen cupboards. Where all others had failed, this one worked, and five years on, Dieneke’s cancer cell count is negligible.

The treatment? Curcumin, which is a key component of the spice turmeric. Dieneke’s recovery was so extraordinary that it recently made the pages of the eminent British Medical Journal as a one-off case report of how a natural ingredient was somehow keeping cancer at bay.

‘When you review her chart, there’s no alternative explanation [for her recovery] other than we’re seeing a response to curcumin,’ Jamie Cavenagh, professor of blood diseases at London’s Barts Hospital and co-author of the report, said.

Dieneke is still taking 8g of curcumin in tablet form daily — the equivalent of about two teaspoonfuls of pure powdered curcumin. As kitchen turmeric contains 2 per cent curcumin, it would be physically impossible to eat enough of the curry spice to get the same dose of curcumin.

She first came across the remedy via an internet support group and decided to try it because, as she says: ‘I had nothing to lose’.

‘I told my oncologist I was taking it and he was very interested, especially when it apparently made such a difference,’ says Dieneke, 67, who lives in North London and runs Hidden Art, a not-for-profit business helping artists market their work.

Every year about 5,500 people in the UK are diagnosed with myeloma. It occurs when the white blood cells produced in the bone marrow multiply uncontrollably and stop producing the normal antibodies needed to fight infection. The process causes bone damage, intense pain, fatigue and nerve damage.

It can be checked by drugs, but is incurable. Most people who develop it do not live beyond five years of diagnosis. Dieneke is convinced curcumin could help some of them. ‘The problem is that the medical profession can’t recommend it,’ she says.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz4nnJjJ1p0
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Turmeric is fantastic!
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Turmeric is fantastic!
    Just make sure you use fresh ground black pepper with it. It helps you to absorb the turmeric better.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Turmeric is fantastic!
    Curry is good.

Dieneke is still taking 8g of curcumin in tablet form daily — the equivalent of about two teaspoonfuls of pure powdered curcumin. As kitchen turmeric contains 2 per cent curcumin, it would be physically impossible to eat enough of the curry spice to get the same dose of curcumin.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Curry is good.
    The title is: "How curry spice helped a dying woman beat cancer."

For your convenience here is a whole data base for you to research: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/substance/turmeric
    Last edited by donnay; 07-25-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    The title is: "How curry spice helped a dying woman beat cancer."

For your convenience here is a whole data base for you to research: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/substance/turmeric
    Not the curry spice itself but a chemical extract from it and concentrated and in high doses. The title is inaccurate.

The treatment? Curcumin, which is a key component of the spice turmeric.
    As kitchen turmeric contains 2 per cent curcumin, it would be physically impossible to eat enough of the curry spice to get the same dose of curcumin.

Not the curry spice itself but a chemical extract from it and concentrated and in high doses. The title is inaccurate.
    Right, so eating it on a regular basis is going to be beneficial for prevention whereas if it's already too late you might need the extract.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Right, so eating it on a regular basis is going to be beneficial for prevention whereas if it's already too late you might need the extract.
    How much of the raw spice do you need to consume to receive any benefit?

As kitchen turmeric contains 2 per cent curcumin, it would be physically impossible to eat enough of the curry spice to get the same dose of curcumin.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Or encapsulated. I take 1500 to 2400 mg daily.

I use a pinch on my eggs, and probably a half teaspoon in my curries, and it's also really good in potato/egg/pasta salad dressings.

You don't need much to receive the health benefits if you're not already really sick, but if you're concerned you could take it in capsule form.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I use a pinch on my eggs, and probably a half teaspoon in my curries, and it's also really good in potato/egg/pasta salad dressings.

You don't need much to receive the health benefits if you're not already really sick, but if you're concerned you could take it in capsule form.
    An occasional pinch will not provide any nutritional or health benefit. But enjoy the flavor!

An occasional pinch will not provide any nutritional or health benefit. But enjoy the flavor!
    You are fake news.

Science Journal Confirms Eating Turmeric Cured Myeloma Cancer In 57-Year-Old Woman

WRITTEN BY: RHONDA JOHANSSON JULY 31, 2017

After undergoing three rounds of chemotherapy and four stem cell transplants and still finding herself sick and weak, blood cancer patient, Dieneke Ferguson, believed she reached the end of her tether. She was told she had exhausted all her options. “Nothing worked: there was just too much cancer….there was nothing else I could do,” she recalled in an interview with The Daily Mail. Ferguson, though, refused to accept the “inevitable” and turned towards an alternative treatment: curcumin. The polyphenol, which is the main compound of turmeric, is what has been keeping her alive and well for the last five years, she says. Her extraordinary story will be featured in an upcoming study in the British Medical Journal.

The North London resident was first diagnosed with myeloma in 2007. This is a form of blood cancer where plasma cells become abnormal and release a type of antibody called paraprotein which has no known useful function. Unlike most cancers, myeloma does not form a tumor. Myeloma accounts for only two percent of all recorded cancer cases, and is one of the least understood variety. It remains incurable, with diagnosed patients told they have a life expectancy of only five years — if they’re lucky. Patients with myeloma are typically prescribed several rounds of chemotherapy along with invasive treatments to stabilize blood levels. But while Ferguson followed these treatment plans obediently, she saw no results. At a loss, she decided to start a new treatment after an internet support group told her to try curcumin.

“I had nothing to lose,” she said.

Ferguson began taking eight grams of curcumin in tablet form daily. This is equivalent to about two teaspoonfuls of pure powdered curcumin. Within only 15 months, Ferguson noticed a considerable difference in her overall health. It wasn’t just a feeling either; oncologists saw that her plasma blood levels were almost normal. These blood counts have remained within the normal range for the last five years.

Jamie Cavenagh, professor of blood diseases at London’s Barts Hospital, who reviewed Ferguson’s case, was bemused. “When you review her chart, there’s no alternative explanation [for her recovery] other than we’re seeing a response to curcumin,” he said.

Ferguson said she will continue to take her supplements. She reports herself as happy, healthy, and enjoying a “high-quality life.”

Curcumin as a natural cancer treatment

This may come as a surprise but: food heals. Ferguson’s story is quite inspiring, but it isn’t something we haven’t heard of before. Several stories of the healing properties of various herbs and spices have reached our ears for some time now. Unfortunately, we have nothing to really back it up, as medical studies regarding alternative treatments to cancer remain lacking. There are several factors involved here, but one reason is that there simply isn’t any return of investment in studying natural herbs. As mentioned in the same Daily Mail article, “[studies that involve natural and alternative treatments] cost millions, and the investments could never be repaid as there is no money to be made from sales of a natural compound that cannot be patented.”

Still, there is enough data to suggest a very “real” effect of curcumin in cancer therapy. The compound has been studied to reduce the symptoms of cardiovascular conditions, depression, and dementia. Health experts say that the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of curcumin can help fight off almost all forms of cancer. These assumptions though remain to be verified as funding for such types of research will probably never be received. Stay up to date on breaking news about turmeric and curcumin at Turmeric.news.

Sources include:

TheSun.co.uk

DailyMail.co.uk

Myeloma.org.uk

CancerActive.com

TheTruthAboutCancer.com
    http://turmeric.news/2017-07-31-scie...old-woman.html

God I'd rather have cancer.

India has one of the highest cancer rates in the world.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Turmeric is fantastic!
    I agree. We use it in a marinade of red chilli powder and salt to fry fish.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Because most of those people chew and smoke tobacco?

Chester Copperpot

Turmeric has an awful taste unless you mix it with a fat of somekind... My gf makes a great chicken salad with turmeric and it tastes great.. however that may be the only thing Ive ever enjoyed it in.. Ive made golden milk with it and it was tolerable but not really enjoyable.. When I had cancer last year (before I started allopathic treatments) I tried to eat some and was only able to stomach it if i mixed it with some peanut butter or almond butter or olive oil salad dressing .. (mixing it with fat neutralizes the bitter taste)

that being said i wasnt aware of any benefit it gave me.. But if turmeric was a definite cure for cancer Id like to think it would have been figured out a long time ago. If it helped this lady with her personal situation thats great but it didnt do anything for me.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

My mother uses a pinch of salt and black pepper with some cut up chillies from the garden to make omelettes

Which one was Curry Spice again?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Chester Copperpot

ill have to try a pinch in my eggs.. do you do that on a regular fried egg or like a scrambled egg or omeletter or either?

id like to find something that makes it tasty and give it another shot. right now my tastes are inverse to what they used to be.. really weird.. vegetables taste better than candy.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    My mother uses a pinch of salt and black pepper with some cut up chillies from the garden to make omelettes
    yeah id give a stronger prevalence to chili peppers being anti cancer for their strong vitamin c content than turmeric.. but thats just me

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    ill have to try a pinch in my eggs.. do you do that on a regular fried egg or like a scrambled egg or omeletter or either?

id like to find something that makes it tasty and give it another shot. right now my tastes are inverse to what they used to be.. really weird.. vegetables taste better than candy.
    Usually fried egg, but you can throw it on any kind of egg.

Or an egg salad (or chicken salad or whatever) with mayonnaise, chopped celery and raisins.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    yeah id give a stronger prevalence to chili peppers being anti cancer for their strong vitamin c content than turmeric.. but thats just me
    I know someone doing curcumin and vitamin c treatments for lymphatic cancer, they were using THC/CBD for a while too. They seem to be doing ok. I dunno which one is most effective.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I know someone doing curcumin and vitamin c treatments for lymphatic cancer, they were using THC/CBD for a while too. They seem to be doing ok. I dunno which one is most effective.
    Was that the only treatment they were receiving?

Was that the only treatment they were receiving?
    She is also eating low protein, a lot of raw foods and sprouts and some other alt treatments I can't recall. Her doctor was upset at first about not doing chemo, but she was immediately able to halt the progression so they were pretty impressed. That was over 6 months ago and she's still doing well, I don't think it's completely gone yet though.

9 Best Benefits Of Turmeric

Some of the most important health benefits of turmeric include its ability to heal wounds, protect cognitive abilities, ease menstrual difficulties, reduce inflammation, eliminate depression, alleviate pain, slow the aging process, protect the digestive tract, and prevent cancer.

Turmeric

Closely related to other members of the ginger family, turmeric is a perennial herb that is native to India and has the scientific name of Curcuma longa. The herb itself is derived from the rhizome of the plant, which is dried before the useful powdered form can be acquired. It needs a rather specific temperature and environment to thrive, so it is not widely cultivated throughout the world, but it is exported around the globe due to its desirability. The color of turmeric powder is perhaps the most striking characteristic, as it is bright yellow. You’ve certainly seen it, even if you haven’t recognized it, and if you have ever enjoyed Indian food, you have almost certainly consumed it.

Turmeric smells slightly like mustard but has a hot, almost pepper-like bitterness to it that complements a variety of dishes and makes turmeric very popular in soups, sauces, curries, meat dishes, biscuits, rice preparations, and as a general spice flavoring for dozens of other cultural dishes and specialties. Aside from its wide usage in food preparation, it has also been praised as one of the most comprehensive and powerful herbal medicines in Ayurvedic treatments and other traditional cultural remedies. Curcumin is the most important and active ingredient of this “super herb”. Turmeric juice is perhaps the most common form of the herb in medical use, but it can also be mixed into topical salves and creams. The essential oil of turmeric is also a powerful health agent, but the entire list of the health benefits of turmeric essential oil can be found on its own page within Organic Facts. For now, let’s look at the health benefits of turmeric itself.

Health Benefits Of Turmeric

Anti-Inflammatory Capacity: One of the most well-known applications of turmeric is as an anti-inflammatory agent. The active ingredients in turmeric are extensive, but a particularly crucial compound is curcumin. This substance has received considerable attention in the medical community due to its potent anti-inflammatory abilities. in fact, the strength of this substance is likened to some of the strongest pharmaceutical options for reducing inflammation. For this reason, consuming turmeric is often suggested for the reduction of arthritic pain, gout, and muscle pain following exercise or injury. Turmeric can achieve this relief in either topical form or when normally consumed. A topical salve can also be made to reduce the inflammation of hemorrhoids.

Gastrointestinal Issues: Turmeric has long been used as a stomach soother, and is particularly useful for constipation, cramping, and irritable bowel syndrome. The anti-inflammatory activity of curcumin also comes into play here, as it lowers the chances of developing ulcers, bleeding in the bowels, and generally eliminates irritation throughout the gut. Turmeric is often recommended for patients suffering from Inflammatory Bowel Disease and even more serious conditions, such as Crohn’s disease. The dietary fiber content found in turmeric, although not off the charts, is still significant and can help smooth your digestive processes.

Menstrual Issues: If you suffer from severe menstrual discomfort, cramping, bloating, excessive bleeding, or mood swings, turmeric may be precisely what you’ve been looking for. The anti-inflammatory and soothing nature of the herb’s natural compounds can relieve most symptoms of menstruation.

Cystic Fibrosis: Although this crippling, fatal disease is not discussed as often as cancer or heart disease, this particular condition attacks the lungs with thick mucus, as well as the pancreas. The curcumin found in turmeric has been shown to correct the protein-folding mutation that can cause the development of this deadly disease.

Cancer Treatment and Prevention: It seems that the whole world is searching for a cure for cancer, as well they should be, and turmeric is one of the best herbal approaches to the treatment or prevention of various types of cancer. Curcumin is a powerful antioxidant agent that has been directly linked with a reduction in colon cancer cells and is also a direct inhibitor for a protein that is essential for tumor growth. This makes turmeric a wonderful addition to any diet as a preventative measure and as a means of slowing metastasis of cancerous growth. The most extensive research on turmeric’s cancer prevention effects has been on colon cancer, but other types of cancer research related to curcumin are currently underway.

Detoxification of the Body: Turmeric and its active organic compounds have also been found to improve liver function and reduce the levels of toxicity in the body. By stimulating the lymphatic system and ensuring that toxins are removed efficiently, the antioxidant activities of turmeric are an ideal solution for liver ailments or toxicity.

Heart Health: There are a few different angles by which turmeric can boost your cardiovascular health – curcumin and vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 can efficiently inhibit the production of homocysteine, which is a negative bodily byproduct that seriously damages cell walls. These weakened walls can cause a number of complications in the heart, particularly when exacerbated by high blood pressure or plaque build-up. Secondly, curcumin directly balances your cholesterol levels by eliminating excess LDL (“bad cholesterol”) from the arteries and blood vessels. This can help to prevent atherosclerosis, so when combined with stronger blood vessels, turmeric represents a comprehensive solution for a wide range of heart issues.

Cognitive Abilities: In traditional medicine, turmeric was often relied on to boost cognitive abilities, increase concentration, and boost memory retention. Many of those traditional beliefs have ended up being legitimated by research, and turmeric is still considered a brain boosting herb. Aside from increasing general cognitive ability, it can also protect the neural pathways from long-term oxidative stress and the build-up of plaque. As a powerful antioxidant herb, turmeric can stimulate neural activity and prevent cognitive degradations, which often comes in the form of Alzheimer’s and dementia. Numerous studies have shown that curcumin is highly efficient in clearing out amyloid plaque, which is a major indication of Alzheimer’s progression.

Depression: Curcumin truly is a versatile substance, and the research has even stretched into its effects on the hormonal balance in the body. Studies have shown that curcumin has a similar effect as Prozac on patients suffering from depression, mood swings, anxiety, and stress. This makes it a powerful alternative to pharmaceutical routes, which often have dangerous or addictive side effects.

A Final Word of Warning: Although not commonly considered to be an allergenic substance, turmeric can have certain side effects on the body, including nausea, dizziness, or diarrhea, particularly when consumed in large quantities. In limited cases, excessive amounts of turmeric consumed in a medicinal capacity has caused heart irregularities. Always speak to a medical professional before adding a powerful substance to your diet or supplement regiment, and remember – everything should be taken in moderation!

References
    http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=...pt=sci_arttext
    http://repository.ias.ac.in/5196/
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...44711305000371
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...24320505000950
    http://scholarsresearchlibrary.com/A...1_2_86-108.pdf
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...72648310618019
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...04383585901594
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...35589209514174
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...78691594902011
    http://link.springer.com/article/10....357-997-0015-z
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3665200/
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...65032714003620
    https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...nesignal1Aug17

She is also eating low protein, a lot of raw foods and sprouts and some other alt treatments I can't recall. Her doctor was upset at first about not doing chemo, but she was immediately able to halt the progression so they were pretty impressed. That was over 6 months ago and she's still doing well, I don't think it's completely gone yet though.
    Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the update!
    I got another update yesterday.. It's been receding pretty well lately and she attributes some of it to the infrared heat treatment, I presume it is similar to the following:

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...otherapy-video