Thread: Felons can still vote in NC

Felons can still vote in NC

Don't know if everyone is aware of this or not....

You can still vote in NC if you have a felony on your record. You can also vote if you are serving a sentence for a misdemeanor as well as awaiting trial for either a felony or misdemeanor. You DO NOT loose your right to vote in NC just because of a felony you just have to serve your sentence and be off parole.

link to info.
    http://www.doc.state.nc.us/rap/ACLU_..._offenders.pdf

This might help a few people who were not aware of this rule.
    Spread the word to all your jailbird friends!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So what? Now we're going to make a push for the FELON vote? That'll help.
    Huey P. Long, "The Kingfish"
    Former Governor, Senator and leading opponent of the Big Bankers.
    Kingfish Consulting: Experience winning elections, since 1928.

Similar to PA. You can't vote while serving time for a felony, or are on work release/in a halfway house. But once you're out, even on parole or probation, you can vote again.
    Last edited by AmyPA; 01-27-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hueylong View Post
    No, I didn't say push for their vote. Just thought maybe some people were not aware of it... which I know for a fact some people don't know because I just informed someone of this today. They are a huge Ron Paul fan and are one more vote for him and maybe more than that. Just because someone got in trouble with the sometimes unfair laws doesn't mean they are less wanted or needed.
    Last edited by basejumper; 01-27-2008 at 09:17 PM.

That's cause half the elected N.C. officials are felons or want to be felons. When you sleep with the dog, you catch the fleas.

How bout the non-violent drug offender vote?...

Quote Originally Posted by basejumper View Post
    No, I didn't say push for their vote. Just thought maybe some people were not aware of it... which I know for a fact some people don't know because I just informed someone of this today. They are a huge Ron Paul fan and are one more vote for him and maybe more than that. Just because someone got in trouble with the sometimes unfair laws doesn't mean they are less wanted or needed.
    This is great news. There are a lot of people in prison under the draconian mandatory drug sentences. Many Judges hate these laws because their hands are tied and they are required to sentence otherwise non violent offenders.

Maybe someone could contact the prison ministries in NC to pass on the word about Ron Paul?

Doesn't Ron Paul say he will pardon all non violent drug offenders?

I just learned about this a couple of weeks ago, I thought that it was uniform across the US that if you were a felon, no more voting.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The question is how do we get word to these people quietly?

I bet they all vote just for the opportunity to have a break in their routine.

Quote Originally Posted by hueylong View Post
    Due to a LOT of misinformation many people are unaware of the laws concerning their vote.
    There are different laws though out the states.
    Add to this that many petty crimes are classed as felony.

There are presently millions of felons in this country.

Some of US know WE can vote. Some Don't.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

evadmurd

Quote Originally Posted by noztnac View Post

Democrats pushed it quite well during last presidential election.

Quote Originally Posted by noztnac View Post

Call the prisons for the details?

Or the prison ministries?

Ask how you can get RP literature to them.

If you think about it, some states actually consider speeding in excess of 30 MPH above the speed limit a felony, just some food for thought, not everyone who is a "convicted felon" is in jail.
    "We hear about constitutional rights, free speech and the free press. Every time I hear these words I say to myself, That man is a Red, that man is a Communist. You never hear a real American talk like that" -- Frank "I Am The Law" Hague, Mayor of Jersey City 1917-1947

Quote Originally Posted by basejumper View Post
    Don't know if everyone is aware of this or not....

You can still vote in NC if you have a felony on your record. You can also vote if you are serving a sentence for a misdemeanor as well as awaiting trial for either a felony or misdemeanor. You DO NOT loose your right to vote in NC just because of a felony you just have to serve your sentence and be off parole.

link to info.
    http://www.doc.state.nc.us/rap/ACLU_..._offenders.pdf

This might help a few people who were not aware of this rule.
    Spread the word to all your jailbird friends!
    Huckabee will definitely win that state then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNAkzyCrqU0

If they can get crack in jail we should certainly be able to sneak in some campaign materials.

Some educational reading on this subject.
    http://www.northwestern.edu/ipr/even...emocracy10.pdf

1 A felony is a generic term used to distinguish more serious crimes from lesser crimes known as misdemeanors.
    Statutes typically define felonies as those offenses punishable by one year or more of incarceration in a penitentiary.
    In practice, however, many states count minor as well as the most serious offenses as felonies.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 02-02-2008 at 07:08 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly1 View Post
    Call the prisons for the details?

Or the prison ministries?

Ask how you can get RP literature to them.
    There are well over 4 million NON incarcerated felons in the US.
    I don't think we should "Push" the issue, but educate those that think they don't count.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom