Thread: Ted Cruz drops hints at another run for president as backers boo Trump

Ted Cruz drops hints at another run for president as backers boo Trump

Ted Cruz drops hints at another run for president as backers boo Trump

Published: 20 July 2016 12:36 PM
    Updated: 20 July 2016 05:37 PM

CLEVELAND — More than a thousand supporters piled into a waterside bar Wednesday afternoon to cheer Ted Cruz, the runner-up for the GOP nomination, ahead of his prime-time speech at the convention.

He sure sounded like someone who still wants to be president.

"In an amazing field of 17 dynamic talented candidates, we beat 15 of those candidates," he said. "We just didn't beat 16. Our party now has a nominee."

The crowd erupted in boos and Cruz made no gesture to shush them. Just then, Trump's plane flew past, drowning out the boos, and he chuckled at the timing. He never mentioned Trump by name.

"I don't know what the future holds," he continued, dropping one of several unmistakable hints in a 20-minute speech. "What I do know is that every one of us has an obligation to follow our conscience. To speak the truth, and truth is unchangeable."

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/polit...-boo-trump.ece
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    To Ted "Boos" Cruz and crew, I can happily say may the winds push you far, far out to sea never to be porting in American politics again! I declare today national Happy Boos Cruz Day!

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Crowd boo's Ted Cruz off the stage as Donald Trump crashes his speech at RNC
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Ted Cruz Makes a Big Gamble With Convention Speech

July 20, 2016
    A dramatic wager kicks off the battle for 2020

Ted Cruz wanted to leave Republican delegates with a case of buyer’s remorse.

The plan was carefully scripted: snub Donald Trump by not endorsing him at the Republican convention on Wednesday night. Unleash a stirring cry for conservative values that would evoke memories of Ronald Reagan’s 1976 clarion call at Gerald Ford’s coronation. That show-stealing speech set Reagan on a glide path to the 1980 nomination, which is what Cruz is hoping for in 2020.

But the plan went awry, and sparked an ugly clash at the GOP convention in Cleveland. As Cruz’s speech dragged past the 20-minute mark with just a perfunctory mention of Trump’s triumph, the crowd grew restive. “Say his name!” some Trump allies shouted. “Go home!” others yelled.

Then the host himself twisted the knife. As Cruz was wrapping up, Trump stepped on his peroration, walking into the arena to join family in his VIP box. The boos for the Texan rang long and loud. Two Trump sources told TIME the outburst was orchestrated by the campaign after they were tipped off that Cruz would withhold the endorsement.

The speech was a gamble that could upend the 2016 runner-up’s planning for 2020 and shape the contours of a coming party fight should Trump lose. Some RNC officials believe Cruz is actively laying the groundwork for a presidential run in four years regardless of what happens in November. That could set up a remarkable challenge to a sitting president from his own party.

For Cruz, the prime-time address was an all-in wager. Decline to endorse at Trump’s coronation, and Cruz might alienate millions of Republicans at a moment when he is trying to recast himself as a team player. Embrace Trump, and risk tainting a personal brand built on conservative purity. Not to mention help a man who insulted his wife and father.

Most Republicans eyeing future runs for national office have embraced Trump. That’s a product of calculation, not affection: many worry a failure to fall in line could backfire if the outspoken billionaire blames his defeat on their disloyalty. But Cruz has made the case for a year that the GOP loses when it nominates insufficiently conservative candidates. And he’s betting a Trump loss would prove his point.

Before the speech, Cruz’s most passionate supporters were split on the best course of action. The move wasn’t made lightly; much of the address was crafted by Cruz himself. In the end, it was a bet that kneecapping Trump would help push the party toward a conservative revolution, with the Texan at the head of the column.

“I want to congratulate Donald Trump on winning the nomination last night,” Cruz began. Of course, Trump had effectively clinched the nomination months earlier. And Cruz never mentioned the man at the top of the ticket again.

The dramatic set piece followed negotiations between the two campaigns and Republican officials, as well as a phone call between the candidates themselves. The speaking slot was one element of an agreement that prevented Cruz’s name from being placed into nomination during the roll call of the states on Tuesday night.

But if Trump’s team expected a graceful concession, the patina of deference was short-lived. In a convention conspicuously light on Trump accolades, the non-endorsement was the sharpest blow yet. It sent an unmistakeable message that four months before the 2016 election, the battle for 2020 has already begun.

Weeks ago, in fact. It’s easy to spot the signs across Cleveland: Sen. Tom Cotton, the ambitious freshman from Arkansas, stopped in on a breakfast of New Hampshire delegates; Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, who may be gearing up for another go, hobnobbed with early state activists. Walker must first win re-election, but “he’ll be back” on the national stage, an aide told TIME this week.

Nobody has spent as much time charting his post-election path like Cruz. He dropped out after his defeat in Indiana on May 3, but it was a case of leaving one race to join another. He has continued to spend money. Allies hatched a plan over the next four years to smooth Cruz’s reputation as a solitary climber by parcelling out cash to select Republican allies.

Aides closely monitored the snuffed delegate revolts against Trump, ready to pounce if opportunity struck, yet careful to avoid any fingerprints. A brawl over the rules that will govern the next Republican nominating contest was driven by Cruz loyalists. The ham-handed effort, which could have excluded anyone who isn’t a registered Republican from future primaries, was a change expected to benefit the Texas purist if it had passed.

Cruz’s close-knit corps of political advisers has never left his side. Some key staff, including strategist David Polyansky and communications hand Catherine Frazier, migrated back to his Senate office. Others landed at a pair of new nonprofit groups that will tend his interests, keep talent in house and prepare for his 2018 Senate re-election. But that is not the ultimate goal.

A second run for the presidency is almost surely in Cruz’s future. “He’s 45 years old,” campaign manager Jeff Roe told reporters on Wednesday. “He came in second.” You can read between the lines.

The only question is when. “I expect Ted Cruz to run no matter what” in 2020, said Carroll Maxwell, a delegate from McKinney, Texas, who was waiting Wednesday afternoon to enter a crowded party Cruz threw at a bar to thank supporters. “That’s what I’d like to see.”

But among his most fervent fans, there was no consensus about how Cruz should handle his speech Wednesday night. Many said he should back an imperfect nominee for the sake of party unity; others were aghast at the idea. “He can’t,” Arizona delegate Gayla Coletto said of a Trump endorsement. “If he does that, he’ll lose 90% of us.

Gesturing at the lengthy line on a hot afternoon, Jean Griswold, a delegate from Concord, N.C., and a member of Cruz’s Tar Heel State steering committee, tried to explain the ardor fans feel for the Texas senator. “The people you see here would walk over glass for him,” she said. “As we look to 2020 or 2024, these people here will all be there for him.”

The question after his risky bet on Wednesday night is whether that’s still true.
    http://time.com/4416260/republican-c...d-cruz-speech/
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

if Trump wins, Cruz will have a 2018 primary-and might lose. any Paul's in Texas winning to run?

Can he change the place of his birth in 4 years? If not, he will still not be a natural born citizen, and he will still be ineligible for the presidency.
    The fact that he is willing to jeopardize the vital NBC requirement for personal gain is telling enough.
    As a Harvard Law graduate there is no way that he doesn't know about the several cases that say foreign born is naturalized.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    if Trump wins, Cruz will have a 2018 primary-and might lose. any Paul's in Texas winning to run?
    If Trump wins, Cruz will take him on in the 2020 primaries.

Cruz is a thousand times better than Trump. I still cannot believe there are libertarians who believe otherwise.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentBull View Post
    Cruz is a thousand times better than Trump. I still cannot believe there are libertarians who believe otherwise.
    There will always be the issue of whether he should even be eligible for President.

That says an awful lot!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Perhaps... but since he is not a natural born citizen the answer is no.
    Rand is also a thousand times better, and born in Pennsylvania to two citizen parents.
    Darrell Castle is a thousand times better, and also NBC.
    There are legitimate choices available, and time and effort spent on ineligible choices is time wasted or comes with globalist intent.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    Can he change the place of his birth in 4 years? If not, he will still not be a natural born citizen, and he will still be ineligible for the presidency.
    The fact that he is willing to jeopardize the vital NBC requirement for personal gain is telling enough.
    As a Harvard Law graduate there is no way that he doesn't know about the several cases that say foreign born is naturalized.
    Based on recent challenges during the primaries, the courts don't seem to give a $#@!, and it won't deter him from running again.

Cruz did some unforgivable things during the primaries, which is why I'd never support him.

Where is Cruz's running mate Carly Fiorina?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

He picked a running mate who was trying to be another Trump:

Carly Fiorina Doesn’t Correct Man Who Calls Obama a ‘Black Muslim’

There was rumors that Cruz was refused entry into his money master's (Vegas Sheldon of zionism lobby) booth and someone in donors booth tried to assault Cruz.

So looks like Cruz is out of Senate soon.

The Daily 202: Cruz's convention gambit backfiring badly—and now he's on the defensive

Washington Post - ‎49 minutes ago‎
    THE BIG IDEA: CLEVELAND—Ted Cruz is on the defensive after he gambled his political career on refusing to endorse Donald Trump, with key allies turning on him and members of his home-state delegation questioning his motives.

-- Then Cruz tried to go see Sheldon and Miriam Adelson. When he arrived, he was refused entry. “It was a pointed rebuff of a politician who has methodically cultivated the support of the Las Vegas Sands chairman and his wife for years, and who was once considered a strong contender to get their backing in 2016,” Matea Gold reports, noting that the Adelsons spent more than $92 million supporting Republicans in 2012.

Conor Friedersdorf @conor64
    CNN reports that a man in a donor suite had to be restrained from assaulting Ted Cruz after he entered it after his speech.
    10:37 PM - 20 Jul 2016

With Hillary and Cruz in turmoil, it seems neocon movement as we knew it is nearing its end and trying to reinvent itself in the aftermath of GOP base coup.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Cruz did some unforgivable things during the primaries, which is why I'd never support him.

Oh I don't disagree. I'm comparing him to Trump though. Trump isn't even knowledgeable on economics. How a libertarian can support someone like that is beyond me.
    Last edited by SilentBull; 07-21-2016 at 02:15 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cruz is just sore he wasnt picked for VP
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his