Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: SCOTUS: Kennedy Announces Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I think the people are better off with Constitutionalists who will make us live under less laws, too many freaks are willing to live under horrible laws that they want to impose on the rest of us.
    Sometimes $#@!ed up $#@! is constitutional though, even the founded fathers that wrote the constitution did some $#@!ed up $#@!, so they didn't think any one person should be given that much power. You're right, more years does equal more power. That also locks down a larger amount of theoretically corruptible power.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I don't know if you saw the other day, when the Supreme Court knocked down the public sector union's right to forcibly take money from public sector employees like teachers which then gets used to fund the Democratic Party, but that is a really big deal.. and it wouldn't have happened if Hillary had won.
    And his dissent on the 4th amendment ruling was because he wanted to go farther in protecting our rights and his vote wasn't needed for a majority.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Sometimes $#@!ed up $#@! is constitutional though, even the founded fathers that wrote the constitution did some $#@!ed up $#@!, so they didn't think any one person should be given that much power. You're right, more years does equal more power. That also locks down a larger amount of theoretically corruptible power.
    Anything Constitutional and bad needs an amendment to fix, right now the Constitution is the best thing available and unimaginably better than where we are.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Anything Constitutional and bad needs an amendment to fix, right now the Constitution is the best thing available and unimaginably better than where we are.
    This is what you don't understand, you can't write a better set of laws to fix the problem. This ideological problem is systemic and has nothing to do with words on paper, it has everything to do with zero accountability. They blame these decisions on the political parties and the presidents party that nominates the judge and we can't have any real political discussions because of the hyper partisanship and fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    This is what you don't understand, you can't write a better set of laws to fix the problem. This ideological problem is systemic and has nothing to do with words on paper, it has everything to do with zero accountability. They blame these decisions on the political parties and the presidents party that nominates the judge and we can't have any real political discussions because of the hyper partisanship and fake news.
    The only way to fix it is to put Constitutionalists on the bench who will hold people accountable.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Here is a very interesting leading top 5 Trump is considering, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Coney_Barrett

She has seven kids, a mother and a woman, lets see the Dems try and stop that politically.

Quote Originally Posted by ProBlue33 View Post
    Here is a very interesting leading top 5 Trump is considering, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Coney_Barrett

She has seven kids, a mother and a woman, lets see the Dems try and stop that politically.
    It is kind of hard to find information on her but she is said to be an originalist and she is an advocate for reducing deference to precedent. (which is good since there is so much bad precedent.)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Barrett is a southern girl all the way.

Allison Eid is married to an Egyptian American whose parents immigrated here in 1957. Among his credentials he is able to practice Navajo Nation law. Power couple for sure.

Amul Thapar was born in Michigan but was on the bench in Kentucky before his latest appointment to the Sixh Circuit.

Whoever Trump nominates is going to be hard to fight. I like that he is is moving outside Ivy Leaguers. The connections of this list are very interesting.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Progressivs like firsts. In this case she would be the first attractive woman on the Supreme Court! Do you think we can sell them on that?

Trump also said he won't ask his nominees beforehand how they might vote on overturning Roe v. Wade. "They're all saying don't do that...but I'm putting conservative people on." He added that he's proud of his pick of Neil Gorsuch, and he'll be "putting someone like that on."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ase-2-tax-plan

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Progressivs like firsts.
    No kidding. Announcement set for July 9. Weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth to follow.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    I really wish that was the case, but we'll take your righteous fury as a consolation prize.

LOL . . . Bette Midler weighs in on politics again - after calling for more attacks on GOP Sen. Rand Paul this spring

Last edited by Jan2017; 06-30-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Gorsuch.
    1 for 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno
    I don't know if you saw the other day, when the Supreme Court knocked down the public sector union's right to forcibly take money from public sector employees like teachers which then gets used to fund the Democratic Party, but that is a really big deal.. and it wouldn't have happened if Hillary had won.
    Yeah, he's all Constitutionalist, including his support for Gitmo, torture, the Military Commissions Act as part of Bush's DOJ, prepping Gonzalez for testimony about NSA spying, helping Lindsay Graham draft legislation that supported indefinite detention outside of federal court due process, among other obviously Constitutionalist positions.

In reality, he's a Jesuit trained globalist that does what he's told.

eta: good article that sums up what Gorsuch is really about.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/u...-bush-era.html

The Bush administration, which was running a torture program for terrorism suspects in overseas C.I.A. “black site” prisons, opposed Mr. McCain’s efforts. At the same time, Judge Gorsuch was working with Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, to include an amendment cutting off Guantánamo detainees’ access to the courts, which the administration supported. Both the torture ban and the court-stripping components made it into the final bill, setting up the internal debate about whether to have Mr. Bush issue a signing statement, an official document laying out a president’s understanding of a bill as he signs it into law.

Judge Gorsuch argued for a signing statement for several reasons, including that such a statement would help advance the view that the court-stripping measure applied to existing lawsuits and not just to future ones — a view the Supreme Court later rejected — and that it could set the stage for interpreting the torture ban in a limited way.
    Last edited by devil21; 06-29-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Yeah, he's all Constitutionalist, including his support for Gitmo, torture, the Military Commissions Act as part of Bush's DOJ, prepping Gonzalez for testimony about NSA spying, helping Lindsay Graham draft legislation that supported indefinite detention outside of federal court due process, among other obviously Constitutionalist positions.

In reality, he's a Jesuit trained globalist that does what he's told.

eta: good article that sums up what Gorsuch is really about.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/u...-bush-era.html
    We won't be able to turn things around all at once and few individuals are perfect.
    He may also have been cooperating with those in power until he could turn on them, that appears to be what Trump did.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

We won't be able to turn things around all at once and few individuals are perfect.
    He may also have been cooperating with those in power until he could turn on them, that appears to be what Trump did.
    I sure you're being paid well for your 12 hour posting shifts.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

I wish, but alas it is a hobby I squeeze in between other things.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Note however, that Senator DiFi had already voted against her Circuit Court appointment, though expect the lib Senators
    like her to block anyone. So, Trump may as well just go full throttle fiscal conservative constitutionalist for this appointment, imho.

Oh, and all the better too if also a Catholic.
    LOL to see Sen. DiFi squirm some more while looking really like a total arse of a US Senator.

On May 8, 2017, President Trump nominated Barrett to serve as a United States Circuit Judge for the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago.

During Barrett's Senate confirmation hearing on September 6, 2017, U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein questioned Barrett about whether her Cathoilic faith would influence her decision-making on the court.

Feinstein stated "the dogma lives loudly within you, and that's a concern".

Feinstein's line of questioning was criticized by University of Notre Dame President John Jenkins, who said, "It is chilling to hear from a United States Senator that this [Catholic faith] might now disqualify someone from service as a federal judge. I ask you and your colleagues to respect those in whom 'dogma lives loudly'–which is a condition we call faith."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Coney_Barrett
    Last edited by Jan2017; 06-30-2018 at 12:44 PM.

I wish, but alas it is a hobby I squeeze in between other things.
    Weird hobby you have. Posting MSM drivel non stop for 10-12 a day.

Somebody else in the running.....

Her name is Britt Grant, she is the youngest at just 40 and arguable the prettiest, she has 3 kids and her husband is in the CIA.

Her age and looks could sway Trump.

Her name is Britt Grant, she is the youngest at just 40 and arguable the prettiest, she has 3 kids and her husband is in the CIA.

4chan should start a movement to nominate the first pretty woman for SCOTUS, with that being the only qualification. You know, diversity and $#@!.
    Last edited by RJB; 07-01-2018 at 07:30 AM.

What a $#@!ty thing to say. Oh, that's right - you're a liberal. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    What a $#@!ty thing to say. Oh, that's right - you're a liberal. Carry on.
    We should just do an even trade Judge Britt for Gingsburg, and then put one of the Lee's in, that works for me, how about you?

Last edited by ProBlue33; 07-01-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Jan2017

btw, yes, I also am going to second the notion that age should be a criteria for this life long appointment.
    Justice Neil Gorsuch is 50.

Dems are going to reject anyone so Trump really should find the hardest of hardline conservative libertarians - man or woman -
    who writes clear good opinions - and if young - can be a voice on the nation's highest Court for a long, long time.

Rosemary Collyer, now Presiding Judge of the FISA Court, has written some good stuff - electronic surveillance related.
    War may be more cyberwarfare than bullets, and she has been on the frontlines so to speak.

Her age (72) and looks probably won't go far with that player President we got. Carry on.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 07-01-2018 at 11:44 AM.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to devil21 again.
    There is no spoon.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Susan Collins, Pivotal Moderate, Says ‘Hostility’ to Roe Would Sway Her Vote

July 1, 2018
    WASHINGTON — Senator Susan Collins, a moderate Maine Republican whose vote could prove decisive in filling the Supreme Court’s vacant seat,
    said on Sunday that she would not vote for a nominee who showed “hostility” toward Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision
    establishing a constitutional right to abortion.

“A candidate for this important position who would overturn Roe v. Wade would not be acceptable to me, because that would indicate
    an activist agenda that I don’t want to see a judge have,” Ms. Collins said on ABC’s “This Week.”

In another interview on Sunday, on CNN’s “State of the Union,” the senator said such a decision “would mean to me their judicial philosophy
    did not include a respect for established decisions, established law.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/01/u...pgtype=article

I don't like the CIA connection but this lefty site's opposition makes a pretty good case for her:

https://civilrights.org/oppose-confi...venth-circuit/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Jan2017

I don't like the CIA connection but this lefty site's opposition makes a pretty good case for her:

https://civilrights.org/oppose-confi...venth-circuit/
    "After the Supreme Court granted certiorari, Ms. Grant worked on another brief that attacked the DAPA/DACA program.
    Her brief argued that “DAPA will impose significant education, healthcare, and law-enforcement costs on plaintiffs because
    it will cause additional aliens to remain in the country and consume these costly services
    .”

Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    RBG next
    Q

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Did your account get hacked by dannno/Russians?
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast