Thread: Non-dairy beverages like soy and almond milk may not be 'milk,' FDA suggests

Non-dairy beverages like soy and almond milk may not be 'milk,' FDA suggests

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/19/healt...rnd/index.html

Based on their definition, goats milk and breast milk could not be called milks either. "Nut juice" sounds a bit creepy too.

Got milk? If you're buying "milk" made with non-dairy products like almonds or oats, the US Food and Drug Administration isn't so sure you do.

During a the Politico Pro Summit on Tuesday, FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb questioned whether the "standards of identity" applied to milk in the United States are being enforced correctly.

The FDA describes milk as "the lacteal secretion, practically free from colostrum, obtained by the complete milking of one or more healthy cows." That definition doesn't leave room for vegan alternatives to call themselves "milk," though a number of products on the market do.

Non-dairy milks, including soy, almond, rice and coconut milk, are juices from nuts, seeds, grains and legumes that may be fortified with vitamins and minerals to deliver the equivalent nutrient profile and sometimes taste and consistency of cow's milk.

The agency is not commenting on its plans or Gottlieb's observation that the government is "probably not" enforcing its own standard of identity for milk, but FDA press officer Deborah Kotz said that "food names inform consumers about what they're buying, and standard of identities ensure that food meets certain standards in terms of what's in it."

The National Milk Producers Federation argues that those standards are not being enforced correctly. Gottlieb's comments come after the foundation ratcheted up its lobbying efforts.

Chris Galen, senior vice president of communications for the federation, said the organization has doubled down on its work in the past 18 months, not simply because the FDA got a new commissioner but because "plant-based imitation products" seem to be growing in popularity. He cites the existence and widespread availability of not only almond- and soy-based drinks but those made of hemp, flax, quinoa and even potatoes.

Though cows are mentioned in the definition, federal standards also allow for "milk" to be produced from other animals but not from vegetable or plant products, Galen said. Dictionary definitions are also broader and make allowances for nuts, which could eventually lead to legal action from producers of non-dairy beverages if the FDA begins enforcing the standard.

Kotz noted that "Many (standards of identity) have existed for decades and at the time they were developed, the FDA could not foresee the types of new products that would be developed in the future using different ingredients and/or manufacturing processes."

To the foundation, the producers of these beverages want to co-opt the "positive reputation" and "health halo" associated with milk.

Though non-dairy beverages are often substituted for cow's milk, "they are not able to completely mimic the nutritional profile," according to Vandana Sheth, a registered dietitian and spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Rice milk, coconut milk and almond milk provide minimal amounts of protein compared with dairy milk, and if the alternatives are not fortified with vitamins such as calcium, D and B12, you might be missing those, too.

To put it bluntly, "milk" sounds better than "nut juice," Galen said, acknowledging that it makes sense that companies would rather their products be identified with the former option.

Producers of popular non-dairy drinks, though, say that the enforcement of the standards is sufficient and that their products are correctly labeled as "milk."

"In the United States, 'soymilk,' 'almondmilk,' and 'coconutmilk' are the common and usual names for plant-based products under the current meaning of FDA regulation, and we communicate on our products with clear references," said Michael Neuwirth, senior director of external communications for Danone North America, which owns non-dairy milk brand Silk.

"Dairy and plant-based products are clearly labeled with nutrition facts so people know what's in the products and can choose the ones that best fit their dietary needs and preferences. We do not believe further labeling standards are necessary."

Galen argues that some brands, like Oatly, sell their products without a "milk" label overseas and face no adverse consequences.

Whether Silk and its American contemporaries will have to follow suit remains to be seen, but Galen says he and his organization hope "the FDA will hold these plant-based marketers to the law" while making room for them in the market.

"We're not saying these imitation plant-based products don't have a role in the marketplace," he said, noting that he understands the usefulness of non-dairy beverages for consumers with dietary, religious or ideological restrictions, "but the products have to be labeled as they are."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Non-dairy beverages like soy and almond milk may not be 'milk,' FDA suggests
    I.AM.SHOCKED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I.AM.SHOCKED.

Not milk, Nut Juice. HB puts it in his smoothies.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I put nut juice in my coffee. I don't eat much dairy anymore because I have trouble taking a .
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I put nut juice in my coffee. I don't eat much dairy anymore because I have trouble taking a .

Yeah, I heard that is common for old women.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Yeah, I heard that is common for old women.
    I haven't in two days. Anyway, we went to the Atlanta United game this afternoon and had passes to a box in the Gullwing Club. Ho-lee-$#@!! It was amazing. We were in a box right next to Arthur Blanks - he wasn't there, though. Back to my story..the buffet had crab claws, prime rib, big ass shrimp - everything and I ate three big plates of food on top of all the free beer I could drink. I was so full I'm still hurting. I even took off my pants in car because I couldn't take it. Mr A called me a cow, lol and kept asking if I wanted to stop at every fast food joint we passed. I took some pictures I'll post pics I took later. Oh, it's so fancy they have a tv screen built into the bathroom mirror. Mr A thought I was in there but I told him I was just taking pics of the tv in the bathroom. I didn't realize there was a line forming.

$#@! off, soy boy. I have no use for soy. I don't make smoothies, either. You cock suckers are weird folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My kids made me a squatty potty for each of the bathrooms I use.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post

My kids made me a squatty potty for each of the bathrooms I use.
    Cool! You have those monkeys well trained!

Last edited by shakey1; 07-23-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

There is no such thing as soy milk. It is soy waste and tastes bad.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    There is no such thing as soy milk. It is soy waste and tastes bad.
    ...and grows man-boobs.

Not a fan of soy milk but I like Almond and Cashew juice. In my coffee they're not as tasty as 1/2 & 1/2 or my personal favorite, evaporated milk BUT they're also not high in calories. When I eat cereal, I prefer the nut juice to milk. I buy the unsweetened vanilla and it adds a little something extra to the taste of the cereal. Mr A has made a few cream sauces with it and they came out good. Even with the vanilla flavor, I couldn't tell the difference.

The new FDA rule "would ban the use of the term 'milk' for nondairy products" because "the FDA says milk is 'lacteal secretion...obtained by the complete milking of one or more healthy cows,' and nothing else," said Lee.

Whatever their original value, these labeling requirements are outdated and they are unnecessary. The amendment I am offering would protect consumers from these 'standards of identity' requirements, and they would protect them from this kind of abuse....The role of government in the market is to protect competition, not any one competitor.

The Lee-Booker amendment would have stopped federal funds from being used to enforce "rules against products simply because of their use of a common compound name—such as where a word or phrase identifies an alternative plant or animal source," said Lee "In other words, it would protect products like 'almond milk,' 'goat cheese,' and 'gluten-free bread' from accusations of being illegally labeled."

The amendment was voted down 84–14. The 14 dissidents included three Democrats and nine Republicans, including 2016 presidential hopefuls Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, and Marco Rubio.

"Must all language be literal?" asks Jibran Khan at National Review:

The FDA's new stance would seem to suggest so. The pulpy juice of coconut has been called "coconut milk" for generations, because of its appearance. Peanut "butter" does not come from miniature cows. Gold and silver "leaf"—used for decoration in some teas, liquors, and desserts across the world—is not made of leaves at all, but from thinly hammered foils of those metals. People buy and use these items, and have for centuries, while fully understanding what it is they're dealing with. Likewise, I don't know of any case in which a customer has purchased soy or almond milk and then been outraged to discover it is not cow's milk.

Wisconsin Democrat Tammy Baldwin does not agree. Speaking Wednesday, the senator called Lee's amendment "an attack on dairy farmers across the country and in my home state of Wisconsin." Taking federal action against non-dairy milk, she insisted, "ensures that when a consumer buys a dairy product, it will perform in recipes as expected."
    http://reason.com/blog/2018/08/03/se...milk-amendment

BTW, PETA also supports not calling nut juices milk.

Recall: Some Almond Breeze almond milk may have actual milk

Some half-gallon cartons of refrigerated Vanilla Almond Breeze almond milk are being recalled because they may contain actual milk not listed on the label. Some people may be allergic to it and it could be life-threatening.

The Food and Drug Administration says the milk is safe to drink unless you have a milk allergy or sensitivity. One person reportedly had an allergic reaction but did not need medical treatment.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news...source=twitter

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Not a fan of soy milk but I like Almond and Cashew juice. In my coffee they're not as tasty as 1/2 & 1/2 or my personal favorite, evaporated milk BUT they're also not high in calories. When I eat cereal, I prefer the nut juice to milk. I buy the unsweetened vanilla and it adds a little something extra to the taste of the cereal. Mr A has made a few cream sauces with it and they came out good. Even with the vanilla flavor, I couldn't tell the difference.
    Tastes good in overnight oats, too.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi