Thread: Rand Holds Hearing on Effects of Unauthorized War

Thumbs up Rand Holds Hearing on Effects of Unauthorized War

From a press release:

Dr. Rand Paul Holds Hearing on Effects of Unauthorized War

WASHINGTON, D.C. – This afternoon, U.S. Senator Rand Paul, chairman of the Federal Spending Oversight and Emergency Management (FSO) Subcommittee for the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee (HSGAC), held a hearing entitled, “War Powers and the Effects of Unauthorized Military Engagements on Federal Spending.”

Today’s hearing focused on the constitutional implications of open-ended war under both the existing Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) and the revised AUMF proposed by Senators Bob Corker (R-TN) and Tim Kaine (D-VA).

The FSO subcommittee heard testimony from Judge Andrew Napolitano, Senior Judicial Analyst at the Fox News Channel; Professor Jonathan Turley from The George Washington University School of Law; and Christopher Anders, Deputy Director of the ACLU’s Washington Legislative Office.

In addition to FSO subcommittee members, Dr. Paul opened the hearing to other senators, with Senators Mike Lee (R-UT), Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Tom Udall (D-NM), and Jeff Merkley (D-OR) asking questions of the witnesses.

“[I]t is the job of Congress to declare or initiate war, and Congress has been negligent for over a decade now. Congress has not done its job. Congress has let president after president strip the war power from Congress and concentrate that power in the Executive,” Dr. Paul said in his opening statement.

Regarding what the situation would look like under the Corker-Kaine AUMF, Judge Andrew Napolitano testified, “So a president with one-third plus one in either house can wage war on any target at any time the president chooses to do so. That is so contrary to what Madison intended, so contrary to the plain meaning of the Constitution, so violative of the separation of powers as to be a rejection of the oath to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution, and none of you wants to reject that oath.”

You can watch Dr. Paul’s opening statement HERE and the full hearing HERE.

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thank you, Dr. Paul.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Well...it isn't good...
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Probably won't move the needle on any real opposition to AUMF, but I am glad to see the effort. At least someone in Congress actually cares about the issue.

Well it's about time someone at least mentioned it in an official capacity... not that it will change anything, thanks to stoopid Americans who don't care enough to see it come to an end.

Humans.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    At least someone in Congress actually cares about the issue.
    0.5% isn't very encouraging. Until Americans get good and pissed - enough to threaten physical death to those in office - Congress will continue as it pleases. What possible motive would they have to change the status quo, unless there is some very unpleasant consequence attached to refusing to do the right things... like being killed by a very angry mob? Since Americans are so pussified, Theye seem to have little over which to become concerned.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Wake Up, America.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A message to KJU - this man is unaccountable, sorry.

Based on Merkley's and Udall's questions, seems like the 'compromise' will be to shove in some sunset provision that will be revisited at some future time, well after the damage has been accomplished. You can blow up a lot of people in 3 or 4 years (or imprison a lot of Americans...that NDAA amendment mentioned is scary) and many in Congress that vote for it today wouldn't be in office to take responsibility for their support when the revisit comes up.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Based on Merkley's and Udall's questions, seems like the 'compromise' will be to shove in some sunset provision that will be revisited at some future time, well after the damage has been accomplished. You can blow up a lot of people in 3 or 4 years (or imprison a lot of Americans...that NDAA amendment mentioned is scary) and many in Congress that vote for it today wouldn't be in office to take responsibility for their support when the revisit comes up.
    I agree but Rand will have accomplished something just to get a sunset provision, the Clinton AW ban died that way.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I agree but Rand will have accomplished something just to get a sunset provision, the Clinton AW ban died that way.
    Yay, a 100% unconstitutional bill with a sunset provision! Oh wait, it is still a 100% unconstitutional bill. Putting a limit on the length of time that the Constitution can be violated is not an improvement.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Yay, a 100% unconstitutional bill with a sunset provision! Oh wait, it is still a 100% unconstitutional bill. Putting a limit on the length of time that the Constitution can be violated is not an improvement.
    I said I agreed with you but would you rather it be enacted permanently?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I said I agreed with you but would you rather it be enacted permanently?
    What difference does it make?

What difference does it make?
    I'd rather stop it completely but if it passes I'd rather end it than leave it in place, we have a better chance of seeing it end with a sunset provision.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'd rather stop it completely but if it passes I'd rather end it than leave it in place, we have a better chance of seeing it end with a sunset provision.
    And that is how freedom is chipped away piece by piece.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And that is how freedom is chipped away piece by piece.
    Which is better than losing it in large chunks, if you know how to stop it completely please contact Rand.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment