View Poll Results: Have you watched "Overview of America" yet?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have

86 50.89%
  • Not yet

76 44.97%
  • I disagree with the video

7 4.14%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you watched "Overview of America" yet?

Have you watched "Overview of America" yet?

Have you watched "Overview of America" yet?

Overview of America
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...59166933078950

[Mod Edit] Latest YouTube version:

Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 07-14-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    excellent flick the john birch society scored a home run with that one
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

I think this video is rather important. bump.
    ----

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

I encourage the people who said "Not yet" to please watch the video.
    ----

This is a great video!
    Politics ought to be the part-time profession of every citizen who would protect the rights and privileges of free people and who would preserve what is good and fruitful in our national heritage. –– Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ron Paul admirer since 2007 ...hubba hubba

www.JBS.org

Thank you, FrankRep. I am sending that to everyone I know. I am also going to become a member of the John Birch Society. I've been thinking about it for a while anyway.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

I watched it. Several times.

I think it's very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    Thank you, FrankRep. I am sending that to everyone I know. I am also going to become a member of the John Birch Society. I've been thinking about it for a while anyway.
    Awesome! Welcome aboard.

To the people who voted "Net yet," have you watched it yet?
    ----

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My two kids both took the JBS's "Overview of America" DVDs with them to school...

One was immediately played in the classroom (and also played for other classes taught by that same teacher)!!!

In classic gubermint school style though, it was the classes of younger 4th grade students that were allowed to view the DVD, and not the more age appropriate 7th grade class.

The DVD was very good, but it could have been better.

We also need another “school DVD”, that really spells out the economic mess, tweaked for 4th graders* and up. In turn, the kids could then explain the unconstitutional federal reserve fiat scam and inflation to their parents over the dinner table by illustrating Jekyll Island and Ponzi "math" schemes on a paper napkin.

Ron Paul is quite correct, young kids can easily understand it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*In order to motivate and appeal to those young minds, the video should also tell ‘em that they’ll know that they've successfully explained these concepts when their parents spontaneously spit out a mouthful of food or drink at the exact moment of comprehension and realization.

Seen (awhile ago) said I disagreed... Only about the anarchy part... but that's not the point of the video.

As an overview - correct.... and brilliant introduction.

Anarcho-Capitalism defs a massive pill to swallow.. takes time for shiz to come to the proper realization.. we're all better off without the state.

Anyway; defs worthy of spreading around.
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

This is an AMAZING video! I highly recommend spreading it around!

This site has a lot of cool stuff worth looking at on it. http://www.trueworldhistory.info

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    This site has a lot of cool stuff worth looking at on it. http://www.trueworldhistory.info
    Thanks!

I disagree with the notion that one must be religious in order to be ethical. I don't murder, cheat, or steal. Why? Because I have empathy for others. I wouldn't like it if someone did that stuff to me, so I don't do it to others. It's not because I'm afraid of God sending me to hell.

Other than that one point, good vid.
    All your voter base are belong to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post
    Seen (awhile ago) said I disagreed... Only about the anarchy part... but that's not the point of the video.

As an overview - correct.... and brilliant introduction.

Anarcho-Capitalism defs a massive pill to swallow.. takes time for shiz to come to the proper realization.. we're all better off without the state.

Anyway; defs worthy of spreading around.
    They weretalking about "revolutionaries" who want to overthrow a government for the purpose of replacing it with one of their own. A la Castro revolution in Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-points-of-fright View Post
    I disagree with the notion that one must be religious in order to be ethical. I don't murder, cheat, or steal. Why? Because I have empathy for others. I wouldn't like it if someone did that stuff to me, so I don't do it to others. It's not because I'm afraid of God sending me to hell.

Other than that one point, good vid.
    Totally agree.

Yup, good vid. But agree with the other poster that religion can be left out of it altogether and not change the message. One need not be god fearing as a prerequisite to morality.

I understand that America is a very faith-based nation, but the JBS would not be offending Christians by leaving it out. They do, however, offend people of other religions or of agnostics. Perhaps enough so to scare them away entirely from a message they would otherwise believe.

I have the same issue with those that tie the abortion issue to the freedom movement. Ron is guilty of this also.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Where do our rights come from?
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    Where do our rights come from?
    Our creator (for religious folks), or nature (for non-religious).

Our government PROTECTS our rights, they do not GIVE us our rights.

Right.. the point is that they are "A priori", intrinsic, an inherrent part of human existence BY DEFINITION.

Your rights transcend and pre-date any form of government bestowing them upon you. The distinction between whether they were granted by a religious deity or by nature or a natural process means very little with relation to government, unless you think that in either case government can overrule the creative process to take them away.

I also think that the founders, while VERY suspicious of institutional usurption of government by any one religious system, or vice versa, also would argue that a moral code of the type that is usually furnished in society by religion is crucial to fill in SOME of the gaps, with voluntary social contraints, between what government can not do under a free Republic and would use force to accomplish in totalitarian system.

The video illustrates this very well, but maybe a little more emphasis on the fact that there is plenty of room for competing religous views in society since on the main necessary components of social influence all world religions are fundamentally the same.

They all have a sense of "reciprocity" (the Golden rule under Christianity, Karma), Accountability to a higher judge even than government, and basic moral codes prohibiting fraud, theft, murder etc.
    I am really impressed with this video, and it will be a teaching tool that I rely on heavily in my family and among those friends who seem willing to understand
    Last edited by Swmorgan77; 10-13-2008 at 04:59 PM.
    An Appeal to LDS Voters:

YouTube - An Appeal to LDS ( Mormon ) Voters Part 1 of 3

"Wherefore, ye are free"

Jesus Christ

A JBS group from Washington sent about 100 OoA DVDs while I was deployed. I placed them in common areas and they went fairly quickly. That was the first time I had seen the updated version, it was good.
    If I was a statist, this would rock me back: YouTube - Michael Badnarik on liberty

Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    Our creator (for religious folks), or nature (for non-religious).

Our government PROTECTS our rights, they do not GIVE us our rights.
    The only rights we have are those we can defend by force. It's the law of the jungle. But in our case, in order to have an orderly society we (or the founders) decided we had rights and drew up a contract (the constitution) and created a mechanism to defend them by force (the government).

Even if you believe our rights come from God, he still doesn't defend them... we do, either personally or by proxy via the government.
    All your voter base are belong to us!

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-points-of-fright View Post
    The only rights we have are those we can defend by force. It's the law of the jungle. But in our case, in order to have an orderly society we (or the founders) decided we had rights and drew up a contract (the constitution) and created a mechanism to defend them by force (the government).

Even if you believe our rights come from God, he still doesn't defend them... we do, either personally or by proxy via the government.

Law of the jungle? Wouldn't "Survival of the Fittest" be the law of the jungle?
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by StilesBC View Post
    Yup, good vid. But agree with the other poster that religion can be left out of it altogether and not change the message. One need not be god fearing as a prerequisite to morality.

I understand that America is a very faith-based nation, but the JBS would not be offending Christians by leaving it out. They do, however, offend people of other religions or of agnostics. Perhaps enough so to scare them away entirely from a message they would otherwise believe.

I have the same issue with those that tie the abortion issue to the freedom movement. Ron is guilty of this also.

Agreed. Great video.
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by USAFCapt View Post
    A JBS group from Washington sent about 100 OoA DVDs while I was deployed. I placed them in common areas and they went fairly quickly. That was the first time I had seen the updated version, it was good.
    That's awesome!
    ----

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Brilliant video!! Should be mandatory viewing for every American.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFighter8008 View Post
    Brilliant video!! Should be mandatory viewing for every American.
    What scares me is that in a Democracy people are allowed to vote my freedoms away! Majority (mob) rule is dangerous!

I want my Constitutional Republic back.
    ----

Great Introductory Video

to start a dialog with those that sense something is not headed in the right direction but are not sure what... Just sent my daughter a link to watch it. She's coming around. People (Sheeple) just need to be educated. Most Americans would be astounded to realize what is going on right under their eyes. The majority of the public is operating under the assumption that we are operating by the constrants of the Constitution, and are still under the gold standard. I certainly have lost my apathy and become "educated" since finding Ron Paul. We just need to help educate in a non-threatening way.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    Thomas Paine

You can buy the videos pretty cheap at the JBS store. You can give them out to people who don't have the Internet or whatever. I would encourage everyone to contact their local school teachers like history or social studies teachers and see if they would play it in front of the class. This is a great idea for Constitution Day!

JBS Videos
    http://www.shopjbs.org/index.php/videos
    Last edited by FrankRep; 06-27-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    My two kids both took the JBS's "Overview of America" DVDs with them to school...

One was immediately played in the classroom (and also played for other classes taught by that same teacher)!!!

In classic gubermint school style though, it was the classes of younger 4th grade students that were allowed to view the DVD, and not the more age appropriate 7th grade class.

The DVD was very good, but it could have been better.

We also need another “school DVD”, that really spells out the economic mess, tweaked for 4th graders* and up. In turn, the kids could then explain the unconstitutional federal reserve fiat scam and inflation to their parents over the dinner table by illustrating Jekyll Island and Ponzi "math" schemes on a paper napkin.

Ron Paul is quite correct, young kids can easily understand it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*In order to motivate and appeal to those young minds, the video should also tell ‘em that they’ll know that they've successfully explained these concepts when their parents spontaneously spit out a mouthful of food or drink at the exact moment of comprehension and realization.

nice job here, very nice
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

the also have a poll about the gold standard...http://www.jbs.org/
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast