Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Donald Trump reportedly wants to purchase Greenland from Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by rpfocus View Post
    Well when "we" take it, I assume you'll be leading the charge to take some bullets?
    Who is going to fire?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Grow a sense of humor.
    If you can.
    I think he's having a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I think he's having a bad day.
    As usual?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Climate Change (which Trump says is a Chinese conspiracy) is ironically melting Greenland ice so maybe all those natural mineral resources could be more easily gotten to.
    That's not irony. It's coincidence. "Better figure out the difference ..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

And anyway, what have you got against the Greenland Citrus Growers Association ... ?
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Liar.
    Trump lied when he said the PM of Greenland "talked about America." She simply called Trump's idea "absurd." Trump called her comment "nasty" and his cancellation of the state visit was childish.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Trump lied when he said the PM of Greenland "talked about America." She simply called Trump's idea "absurd." Trump called her comment "nasty" and his cancellation of the state visit was childish.
    Trump didn't call her nasty, he called her comment nasty. Everything else you just said is speculation.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Trump didn't call her nasty, he called her comment nasty. Everything else you just said is speculation.
    I didn't say he did. My saying Trump said the PM of Greenland "talked about America" is not speculation. It is a direct quote from Trump. And he lied.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

American cultural influence is already evident in Greenland’s capital Nuuk, according to Berbrick, who visited the island last December. Greenlandic children learning English as a foreign language has become a priority for some on the island while at the same time preserving their culture and official Greenlandic indigenous language, said Berbrick.
    “When you walk around Nuuk, you’re sitting at a café or a restaurant listening to Taylor Swift and watching CNN and hearing people speak English, so they affiliate and are more connected with North America rather than Europe,” said Berbrick, a former senior adviser to the special representative for the Arctic region at the State Department.
    Some Greenlanders’ desire for independence is another factor in the American appetite for an expanded partnership, according to the former official in a Republican administration.
    The aspiration for freedom from Danish control among some Greenlanders was “something we never put in official documents because it might have pissed off the Danes, but it was something that was in pretty much every briefing,” said the former official.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-greenla...103721625.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://twitter.com/Incarnated4EVA/s...93285508227073

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sorry , everyone talks about America . What else would dirty , grubby little foreigners do with themselves ?
    Do something Danke

Funny how Democrats said buying Greenland is a stupid idea. Did they think it was stupid when Truman expressed his desire to do the same thing?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Funny how Democrats said buying Greenland is a stupid idea. Did they think it was stupid when Truman expressed his desire to do the same thing?
    I don't think its a stupid idea to wanna buy greenland but the idea of thinking that Denmark would sell it is stupid. There is a video out there with Pompeo talking about all the resources and strategic benefits of greenland before all this buying talk came out. The same way it is stupid to show your love for a car to a used car salesman, that is the same way it is to talk up the pluses of greenland as you are telling Denmark you wanna buy it. If I was Denmark, I would lease it rather than sell it.

There is no way Denmark sells greenland without some thuggish arm twisting by the US. NO FU*KING WAY
    Last edited by juleswin; 10-26-2019 at 01:09 PM.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I don't think its a stupid idea to wanna buy greenland but the idea of thinking that Denmark would sell it is stupid. There is a video out there with Pompeo talking about all the resources and strategic benefits of greenland before all this buying talk came out. The same way it is stupid to show your love for a car to a used car salesman, that is the same way it is to talk up the pluses of greenland as you are telling Denmark you wanna buy it. If I was Denmark, I would lease it rather than sell it.

There is no way Denmark sells greenland without some thuggish arm twisting by the US. NO FU*KING WAY
    Unless they have to make a sacrifice sale when the EU collapses and war breaks out.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Unless they have to make a sacrifice sale when the EU collapses and war breaks out.
    You make a good point but what are chances those conditions that would force them to sell assests show up in the next 2 to 6 yrs? And again, why sell it instead of leasing it?

Countries lease mining rights to companies all the time. They do this instead of selling the area cos that just makes sense. It would take an ungodly amount of money to convince Denmark to sell and I don't think the US has it.

You make a good point but what are chances those conditions that would force them to sell assests show up in the next 2 to 6 yrs? And again, why sell it instead of leasing it?

Countries lease mining rights to companies all the time. They do this instead of selling the area cos that just makes sense. It would take an ungodly amount of money to convince Denmark to sell and I don't think the US has it.
    The chances are high that those conditions turn up in the next few years and Trump knows it.
    And they would sell because as a sacrifice sale they would not be in a position to dictate terms, it would be a buyers market, Trump can even say he made an offer when they were in a better position and they missed their chance.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The chances are high that those conditions turn up in the next few years and Trump knows it.
    And they would sell because as a sacrifice sale they would not be in a position to dictate terms, it would be a buyers market, Trump can even say he made an offer when they were in a better position and they missed their chance.
    And I am sure resource hungry China wouldn't bother making an offer. We are talking about limited resources and control of the Suez canal of the North(if you believe Pompeo). Sorry but they are still better off leasing Greenland than selling it.

The idea is stupid because they will never sell it and the conditions u imagine will not happen in your lifetime.

And I am sure resource hungry China wouldn't bother making an offer. We are talking about limited resources and control of the Suez canal of the North(if you believe Pompeo). Sorry but they are still better off leasing Greenland than selling it.

The idea is stupid because they will never sell it and the conditions u imagine will not happen in your lifetime.
    China will collapse soon, the US will be the only interested buyer with the ability to pay.
    Or maybe we will just get Greenland to declare independence during the war like Iceland did and then buy them from themselves to replace the funding they get from Denmark now but won't be when the wars break out.

And the conditions I imagine are coming soon to a planet near you.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Greenland costs Denmark a lot of money. $505 million per year. It is of little strategic importance to Denmark and Denmark has yet to demonstrate it has the ability to extract Greenland's natural resources on a large scale, which is no easy task. It is worth far more to us than them, and $505 million per year is a lot less to us. Our GDP is about 60 times that of Denmark. That would be similar to Alaska if it cost us $30 billion per year net.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    Greenland costs Denmark a lot of money. $505 million per year. It is of little strategic importance to Denmark and Denmark has yet to demonstrate it has the ability to extract Greenland's natural resources on a large scale, which is no easy task. It is worth far more to us than them, and $505 million per year is a lot less to us. Our GDP is about 60 times that of Denmark. That would be similar to Alaska if it cost us $30 billion per year net.
    Why not just lease it directly to the company who has the ability to extract the resources? It's not like the US govt will do the mining. Again, leasing will always be a better idea that selling.

Also, the Danish govt doesn't have to spend the $500m to maintain it. They can just let the infrastructure go and come back in when they have an offer. They will NEVER sell Greenland.

They will NEVER sell Greenland.
    They have already tried to sell it to us on one occasion. The deal would have gone through if WWII didn't happen when it did.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Months after U.S. President Donald Trump made waves with a proposal to buy Greenland, the State Department is laying the groundwork to open a consulate on the sparsely populated island, marking a new diplomatic outpost in a fast-melting Arctic where rivals such as Russia and China are pushing for greater influence.

The diplomatic outpost could be opened as soon as next year, U.S. and Danish officials and experts confirmed to Foreign Policy, though the plan still must be greenlighted and funded by the U.S. Congress. The intention is to hire at least seven staff members to occupy it—meaning there will be about one U.S. diplomatic employee for every 10,000 Greenlanders. It marks the first time in nearly 70 years that the United States will have a diplomatic presence in Greenland, the autonomously governed island within the Kingdom of Denmark.
    Many, including senior Danish and Greenlandic officials, have welcomed the plan for a new U.S. diplomatic presence on the island.
    “As close allies with many shared interests it is only natural that the US and the Kingdom of Denmark deepen our cooperation in light of these geopolitical developments. We welcome the increased US interest in the Arctic including in Greenland,” Danish Foreign Minister Jeppe Kofod said in a written statement to Foreign Policy. “I believe that a US consulate in Greenland can be instrumental in US collaboration with Greenland in areas within its competences, such as infrastructure, mineral resources, education, business and culture.”

Greenland does have a home rule government that oversees policies such as domestic governance, health care, and natural resources, but Copenhagen is still firmly in the driver’s seat on matters of foreign and security policy. Some in Denmark worry a U.S. consulate in Greenland could change that.
    Soren Espersen, a prominent politician in the right-wing nationalist Danish People’s Party, told Foreign Policy he feared Greenland would “go behind the Danish government’s back” and negotiate directly with the United States. “I don’t like the dissolving of the union. There’s something going on and I don’t like it, and it’s a shame because I have always been a big fan of the U.S.,” he said.

More at: https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/11/08...rctic-denmark/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Denmark approves new U.S. consulate in Greenland https://t.co/9lzXY75f0h
    — Yashar Ali �� (@yashar) December 28, 2019

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234