Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Unleashes Tariffs On Mexico "Until Illegal Immigration Stops"

Thumbs up Trump Unleashes Tariffs On Mexico "Until Illegal Immigration Stops"

Following an earlier leaked story from the Wall Street Journal, President Trump has confirmed that he will impose tariffs on Mexico until the illegal immigration problems at the southern US border are fixed.

Amid negotations and escalations in the process of moving USMCA through Congress, Trump has decided to go after one on America's closest trade partners: "On June 10th, the United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into our Country from Mexico, until such time as illegal migrants coming through Mexico, and into our Country, STOP. The Tariff will gradually increase until the Illegal Immigration problem is remedied, at which time the Tariffs will be removed. Details from the White House to follow."
    On June 10th, the United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into our Country from Mexico, until such time as illegal migrants coming through Mexico, and into our Country, STOP. The Tariff will gradually increase until the Illegal Immigration problem is remedied,..
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 30, 2019
    ....at which time the Tariffs will be removed. Details from the White House to follow.
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 30, 2019

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...igration-stops

This should also help stop the USMCA
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He should have eliminated welfare incentives instead.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Unfortunately, extremist conservatives like Breitbart, Coulter, Bannon etc might not be swayed and might even see it as a plot to reduce employment there to further push cheap labor towards US. However in reality it's very doubtful that MAGA's top donor would approve any such plot to induce cheap labor.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...94/982/125.jpg

Related

Ann Coulter on Trump : 'He's Been Jerking Us Around'

https://www.newsweek.com/ann-coulter-says-donald-trump-doing-nothing-prevent-illegal-border-crossings-1391493

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Unfortunately, extremist conservatives like Breitbart, Coulter, Bannon etc might not be swayed and might even see it as a plot to reduce employment there to further push cheap labor towards US. However in reality it's very doubtful that MAGA's top donor would approve any such plot to induce cheap labor.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...94/982/125.jpg
    LOL

you are pathetic, killing the USMCA and pressuring Mexico to stop the invasion are good things.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Higher tariffs will start at 5% on June 10 and increase monthly until reaching 25% on Oct. 1, unless Mexico takes immediate action, he said.
    "If the illegal migration crisis is alleviated through effective actions taken by Mexico, to be determined in our sole discretion and judgment, the tariffs will be removed," Trump said.

Trump said he was acting under the powers granted to him by the International Emergency Economic Powers Act. He campaigned for election in 2016 on a vow to crack down on illegal immigration.
    "Mexico’s passive cooperation in allowing this mass incursion constitutes an emergency and extraordinary threat to the national security and economy of the United States," Trump said in the statement.
    "Mexico has very strong immigration laws and could easily halt the illegal flow of migrants, including by returning them to their home countries," he said.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-dramati...175439693.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

"If the illegal migration crisis is alleviated through effective actions taken by Mexico, to be determined in our sole discretion and judgment, the tariffs will be removed," Trump said.
    I'd like to see what he specifically is hoping they'll do.
    Last edited by tfurrh; 05-30-2019 at 11:32 PM.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

I'm buying shares in frozen avocados.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Aw schucks. How in tha hell ee gonna make mexico pay for tha wall now?

The plan is probably to score an easy political victory by forcing the Mexicans into a humiliating (even if meaningless) concession, to the applause of the nationalist rabble. However, there's politics in Mexico too, and - whatever the economics - I don't see them backing down, at least not before massive damage is done. Much of that damage will be to the already very weak US auto industry, whose supply chain goes back and forth across the border.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The plan is probably to score an easy political victory by forcing the Mexicans into a humiliating (even if meaningless) concession, to the applause of the nationalist rabble. However, there's politics in Mexico too, and - whatever the economics - I don't see them backing down, at least not before massive damage is done. Much of that damage will be to the already very weak US auto industry, whose supply chain goes back and forth across the border.
    So we should just turn a blind eye to their collaboration with the invasion?

It's time we became less dependent on hostile foreigners and quit rewarding them for stabbing us in the back.

The next step should be to tax all foreign remittances that don't provide proof of citizenship/legal presence.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Banned

Blog Entries
    A 5% tariff on the amount of trade goods coming to the US, for one year, would raise about... $10 Billion.

By the time negotiating even began, the tariffs would be gone, and wall paid for.

Almost, at 6 million a mile, that's about 1667 miles. Border is about 2000. Keep the tariffs for another 3 months. 15 months, wall paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    So we should just turn a blind eye to their collaboration with the invasion?

It's time we became less dependent on hostile foreigners and quit rewarding them for stabbing us in the back.
    ...except there's no invasion, the foreigners aren't hostile, and the only one stabbing you in the back is the orangutan you voted for.

...well, more like stabbing you in the front, right in the face, as you watch him do it, and applaud.

The next step should be to tax all foreign remittances that don't provide proof of citizenship/legal presence.
    Yes, if we just keep growing the federal government, we shall surely reach the MAGA-rific promised land.

...except there's no invasion, the foreigners aren't hostile, and the only one stabbing you in the back is the orangutan you voted for.

...well, more like stabbing you in the front, right in the face, as you watch him do it, and applaud.
    LOL
    The World Turned Upside Down

Yes, if we just keep growing the federal government, we shall surely reach the MAGA-rific promised land.
    It's not growing government to crack down on invaders.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's not growing government to crack down on invaders
    Yea, why would higher taxes mean larger government...

The English Language Turned Upside Down

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yea, why would higher taxes mean larger government...

The English Language Turned Upside Down
    It's not higher taxes, anyone here legally wouldn't pay a cent more.

Maybe if you stood on your head you could think rightside up.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's not higher taxes, anyone here legally wouldn't pay a cent more.
    LOL, so it somehow isn't a tax because the people who'd pay it are illegal immigrants?

LOL, so it somehow isn't a tax because the people who'd pay it are illegal immigrants?
    Exactly, it's more like a fine.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Exactly, it's more like a fine.

Great, after that, let's try this:

-Eliminate all taxes
    -Pass law making it illegal not to donate money equal to old taxes to the IRS
    -Set fine for violation of said law at that same amount

No more taxes!

Great, after that, let's try this:

-Eliminate all taxes
    -Pass law making it illegal not to donate money equal to old taxes to the IRS
    -Set fine for violation of said law at that same amount

No more taxes!
    That's a difference without a distinction.

My idea only costs those who are breaking the law, therefore it is more of a fine than a tax.

Mexico and the other countries involved are waging war on the US and it is time we fought back with appropriate counter measures.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Good heavens almighty. As if Trump couldn't get more disappointing.

This is going to have a nasty impact on auto prices and auto-parts costs.

Will probably hit some electrical machinery too.

Just what we need, right now, an even bigger squeeze on the middle class while making the working poor in Mexico even more poor.

The most disturbing thing, throughout all of this, is this demonstrates how fragile free trade is, and how quickly it can go south.

Mercantalism really never died; it just hid for a while.

You guys must be buying a lot of stuff from mexico . Just Dos Equis for me .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    You guys must be buying a lot of stuff from mexico . Just Dos Equis for me .
    I have not tried that yet. I like the Hallertau hops myself typically found in the Canadians.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is how Mexico will pay for the wall
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

The thread title is wrong. It should say, "Trump Unleashes Tariffs on America..."

This should also help stop the USMCA
    Trump Pushes USMCA Approval Plan in Move That Irks Pelosi

By Jenny Leonard
    and Erik Wasson
    May 30, 2019, 4:02 PM EDT Updated on May 30, 2019, 7:07 PM EDT

• House speaker says Democrats’ concerns need to be addressed
    • Vice President Pence says White House wants approval by summer

The Trump administration formally notified Congress it’s moving forward with its plan to get the new Nafta approved -- a move that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called “not a positive step” as her party weighs whether to support the deal.
    White House officials submitted a so-called Statement of Administrative Action, a step toward introducing legislation that would bring the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement into force. The move starts a minimum 30-day period for consultations between the White House and Congress to finalize the bill before a vote can take place.

This action could set up a showdown with Democrats who have opposed efforts by the Trump administration to rush a vote on the deal. While some Democrats are also pushing the White House’s goal for approval before the August recess, others are wary of delivering Trump a signature legislative victory as he hits the campaign trail for his 2020 re-election bid.

The administration has put pressure on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Democrats to approve the trade agreement despite lingering concerns about the deal within the Democratic-held House.

The White House’s decision to move forward more quickly than Democrats asked follows a tense meeting between the president and Democratic congressional leaders last week. Trump told Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer that he would not negotiate with them on legislation while House committees investigate him.
    Democrats have raised several concerns about the agreement, including enforcement of labor and environmental protections and the deal’s potential effect on drug prices.
    As the administration pushes to approve the deal, Vice President Mike Pence met with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Thursday. While in Ottawa, the vice president promised the U.S. would “get the USMCA done this year.”

The notice presented Thursday by the White House to Congress outlines U.S. legal obligations that are required by the USMCA.

Trump is pursuing approval of the deal under so-called fast-track authority, which enables him to seek a straight yes-or-no vote in exchange for clearing certain procedural hurdles.

House Democrats have raised a number of areas where they would like to see changes, including provisions governing labor, the environment and pharmaceuticals. In a step viewed as positive, Pelosi this month created working groups to negotiate with the administration.

The removal of U.S. steel and aluminum tariffs on Canada and Mexico this month also cleared a hurdle for lawmakers of both parties.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...emocrats-waver

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    A 5% tariff on the amount of trade goods coming to the US, for one year, would raise about... $10 Billion.

By the time negotiating even began, the tariffs would be gone, and wall paid for.

Almost, at 6 million a mile, that's about 1667 miles. Border is about 2000. Keep the tariffs for another 3 months. 15 months, wall paid for.
    Paid for by US companies and consumers. Mexico and China don't pay the tariffs, we do.

Trump is pursuing approval of the deal under so-called fast-track authority, which enables him to seek a straight yes-or-no vote in exchange for clearing certain procedural hurdles.
    https://piie.com/blogs/trade-investm...-can-push-back

In accordance with the fast track provision of Trade Promotion Authority, Congress is supposed to vote the USMCA up or down, without amendments, within 90 legislative days of the introduction of implementing legislation—an event that may not occur before early 2019, because drafting the implementing legislation will likely consume more than a month. However, juxtaposition of the 6-month termination letter and the fast track timeline implies that congressional deliberations should be concluded while NAFTA termination is still pending.

But Speaker Pelosi created ample precedent for ignoring the fast track timeline in 2008, when she overrode TPA procedures for the Peru, Colombia, and Korea free trade agreements. Assuming she is re-elected speaker in January, what she did to President Bush in 2008 she could do again to President Trump in 2019. As justification, Pelosi could cite the scant consultation between the administration and congressional Democrats before the USMCA text was finalized.

If USMCA is either rejected by Congress when the 6-month termination date arrives, or the vote has not yet been taken, and Trump declares NAFTA dead and gone, what then?

The Trump administration will face multiple lawsuits, filed by business firms, states, senators, and members of Congress, all claiming that Trump lacks the authority to impose tariffs on imports from Canada or Mexico, or to rescind other features of the NAFTA Implementation Act of 1993 (H.R. 3450). Moreover, both H.R. 3450 and the Trade Agreements Act of 1974 outline congressional consultation procedures that the president should follow prior to re-imposing tariffs on Canada and Mexico.

If Trump takes his time on the imposition of new tariffs, North America could reach the middle of 2020 before the politically and commercially disruptive event date. A presidential election will then be in sight, which could be reason for further delay.

But if Trump attempts to circumvent court review and congressional consultations by invoking other statutes to revive pre-NAFTA tariffs,[1] he could spark a congressional firestorm. Article I, section 8 of the US Constitution gives Congress, not the president, jurisdiction over foreign commerce. Congressional outrage could in turn foster sweeping legislation to restrain the president.

Congress enacted several statutes over the past century that gave the president multiple powers to restrict foreign commerce. But those delegated powers could be constrained by fresh legislation attached to a single “must pass” bill. That prospect, together with the adverse financial and business consequences of new tariffs, could well persuade the president to think again.
    Or the House could just vote "no" on approval. (Trump never did follow through on his threat to vacate NAFTA).

never going to defend tariffs. EVER!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast