Thread: Trauma Memory - I Remember Every Detail. What's with the #Metoo's Forgetfulness?

Trauma Memory - I Remember Every Detail. What's with the #Metoo's Forgetfulness?

Been robbed. Been jumped. Looked down the wrong end of a gun barrel. Nothing like some people have been through, including people who have been sexually assaulted. But these moments are frozen in my mind, because they play over and over like a movie. I hear the same and worse from Iraq bros, will never forget the screams, the pattern of blood on the ground, the torn limb. Exactly and concisely. Never.

So all I'm saying is I am very concerned with sex violence and am glad more women are coming out. I support #Metoo. But I'm leery when details don't match, or an alleged survivor contradicts her story, and the feminist shrinks come out and play the Trauma Memory card. I despise Kavanaugh's politics. I don't want him confirmed based on his political beliefs, he's a corporate shill. But you can't ruin a man based on "I think this happened or that" and be getting it all wrong. Where are the shrinks who say No, that's not the way it is with trauma at all. When the adrenaline is flowing and you think you are about to die, your mind takes a picture of every little last thing you may never see again. I think that's more the way it works.

Mighty convenient for convicting a man. If his story doesn't add up he's lying. If her's doesn't it's trauma memory. If you don't remember something, ok. But you don't get to fill in the blanks.
    Last edited by James_Madison_Lives; 10-01-2018 at 11:04 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Saw some twitter ranting about how The Ford broad published a paper in 2008 on self-hypnosis and planting false memories.

edit here:
    http://thefederalist.com/2018/10/01/...ieve-memories/
    Last edited by specsaregood; 10-01-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Yup, I can still point out the house I got a gun drawn on me when I was 14. Clearly remember every moment of it.
    (I was just a paper boy trying to collect for my paper).
    I have had other traumatic things too.. and those memories are clear as day.
    I even remember the next day vividly with some of those events.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Saw some twitter ranting about how The Ford broad published a paper in 2008 on self-hypnosis and planting false memories.

edit here:
    Interesting link. First she says it happened in late teens, then settles on 15. If there one single thing I would remember it's what year in HS I was in and how old I was, what time of year.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James_Madison_Lives View Post
    Interesting link. First she says it happened in late teens, then settles on 15. If there one single thing I would remember it's what year in HS I was in and how old I was, what time of year.
    I saw only about 15 seconds of the hearing.
    In those 15 seconds, I saw Ford clearly using transferrence.
    She was taking another incident, and using it as the detail underpinning of her lie.
    So when asked for details, she would use the other event.

I don't have time to watch liars lie. I really don't.

Looked down the wrong end of a gun barrel.
    Been there, done that. I could name 3 witnesses, location is easy. Date would be hard, even the year. Perps? Never in a million years would I honestly be able to pick them out of a line-up, probably even the next day wouldn’t have been able to realistically do that. Facial details on someone you have never met before are almost impossible to remember, and easy to confuse with anyone who remotely resembles them.

Ford’s inability to remember anything but Kavanaugh does not ring true. Something is not right about her story.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

edit here:
    Her specialty is statistics and designing studies. She probably just helped the authors with that portion. Her name is at the bottom, not among the main writers of the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Her specialty is statistics and designing studies. She probably just helped the authors with that portion. Her name is at the bottom, not among the main writers of the paper.
    Just her knowing those people well enough to help with the paper is a red flag.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

edit here:
    Yeah, pseudo-science. She is not believable. (Sym)pathetic, but not believable.

Kavanaugh Accuser Co-Authored Study Citing Use Of Hypnosis To Retrieve Memories
    Sean Davis
    Kavanaugh Accuser Co-Authored Study Citing Use Of Hypnosis To Retrieve Memories

Christine Blasey Ford, a California woman who has accused Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of attempted rape in the 1980’s, co-authored an academic study that cited the use of hypnosis as a tool to retrieve memories in traumatized patients. The academic paper, entitled “Meditation With Yoga, Group Therapy With Hypnosis, and Psychoeducation for Long-Term Depressed Mood: A Randomized Pilot Trial,” described the results of a study the tested the efficacy of certain treatments on 46 depressed individuals. The study was published by the Journal of Clinical Psychology in May 2008.

While the paper by Ford and several other co-authors focused on whether various therapeutic techniques, including hypnosis, alleviate depression, it also discussed the therapeutic use of hypnosis to “assist in the retrieval of important memories” and to “create artificial situations” to assist in treatment.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Been robbed. Been jumped. Looked down the wrong end of a gun barrel. Nothing like some people have been through, including people who have been sexually assaulted. But these moments are frozen in my mind, because they play over and over like a movie. I hear the same and worse from Iraq bros, will never forget the screams, the pattern of blood on the ground, the torn limb. Exactly and concisely. Never.
    I have the same experiences from a near-fatal dog attack when I was young, as well as from the WTC bombing in 1993. I know every goddamn detail down to the bone. That's how I knew right away that Ford is a complete fraud, and the entire circus since has done nothing but cement the impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Just her knowing those people well enough to help with the paper is a red flag.
    Ron Paul know some weird people too.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I saw only about 15 seconds of the hearing.
    In those 15 seconds, I saw Ford clearly using transferrence.
    She was taking another incident, and using it as the detail underpinning of her lie.
    So when asked for details, she would use the other event.

I don't have time to watch liars lie. I really don't.
    Yes I saw this too you have it spot on. I'm convinced she is using some other incident, probably a fully consensual incident for which she later felt shame, and deliberately conflating it with her hard drinking party days to create a composite event to pin on Kavanaugh.

Has he done something suspicious that relates to their oddities?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Going on Alex Jones.

Going on Alex Jones.
    That isn't potentially criminal or particularly suspicious.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That isn't potentially criminal or particularly suspicious.
    Neither is doing statistical work for a study on depression.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Neither is doing statistical work for a study on depression.
    Self-hypnosis and planting false memories are in the case of a woman who just gave obviously false testimony to the Senate in an attempt to derail the lawful nomination of a Justice by a duly elected President.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I find it horrifying that people on this thread are believing what they saw, felt, and remembered. They should discount their experiences and only believe what experts tell them to believe. That's the smart and honest thing to do.
    Last edited by RJB; 10-01-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Banned

Blog Entries
    People under hypnosis can pass lie detector tests, because they believe whatever they are told to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    People under hypnosis can pass lie detector tests, because they believe whatever they are told to believe.
    People suffering from TDS also believe what they are told to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Yes I saw this too you have it spot on. I'm convinced she is using some other incident, probably a fully consensual incident for which she later felt shame, and deliberately conflating it with her hard drinking party days to create a composite event to pin on Kavanaugh.
    It's probably mental illness, I don't see any other reason for his disregard for the Constitution.

And which house you were sexually attacked at, seriously can't remember that? Lol, they grew up in that area, I remember every house and every area I've ever been to where I grew up.

On top of that she can't remember who took her home on her most traumatic life experience where she thought she was going to be killed?

But then again she is apparently well studied on self-hypnosis and erasing memories.
    Last edited by eleganz; 10-01-2018 at 10:22 PM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

He wants to audit and end the Fed. Probably pure coincidence that he knows others with the same ideas.

Did anyone else realize that she went to she her therapist right at the time it was hot news that Kavanaugh was having his previous nomination?

How creepy is all of this ....
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No kidding. Anarchists and other degenerates
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Did anyone else realize that she went to she her therapist right at the time it was hot news that Kavanaugh was having his previous nomination?

How creepy is all of this ....
    Yeah that came out very early. She remembered JUST after Kavanaugh was mentioned by Jeff Toobin in The New Yorker as the top pick for Romney, if the latter had won in 2012.

"recovered memories", "repressed memories"

I don’t think there’s any such thing as “trauma memory” but there is “denial”, where a victim tries to cope with trauma by downplaying it’s importance to themself, because to fully face it is too repulsive. The memory doesn’t disappear, it’s just pushed away. It’s a coping mechanism for dealing with some trauma that had to be endured repeatedly. It’s usually associated with children of alcoholic and/or abusive parents. Being groped one time is not like this.

It’s notable that no one (media or politicians) has been using the term “repressed memory” or “recovered memory”. This was a thing in the late 80s and 90s and applies to - NOT having a hazy memory about an incident - but of having been totally unaware that an incident ever took place until something triggers it, typically while undergoing therapy with a psychologist. At least some of the time, hypnosis would be used. Sometimes sodium amytal (so-called truth serum) was even used. (I’ll bet that Oprah did shows about “recovered memories”.)

An example:
    In the late 80s or 90’s comedian Roseanne Barr became convinced that her parents sexually abused her when she was an infant. It sounded really nuts. Her family members were shocked and denied it, but she's still estranged from them. She was very open about it being a memory “recovered” while she was undergoing therapy.

Repressed and recovered memories were an accepted thing for a while, but eventually there were some successful lawsuits against the therapists and we slowly stopped hearing about them - but the broken families are still out there. (While the concept of recovered memories was publicized for years, the lawsuits received little to no publicity.)

Tucker Carlson is the only person I have heard refer to Ford’s accusation as a recovered memory. I don’t know if this is something he simply extrapolated from hearing Ford speak, or if someone, somewhere, has admitted that this is the case. We have not been given any details about what Ford’s therapy consisted of. Was she hypnotized?

I do know that recovered memories are not considered reliable by psychiatrists and that some therapists have been successfully sued over it. There are also support groups for persons who’s lives were destroyed by such claims.

if you do a search of “repressed memories”, “recovered memories” or "false memories' you will find a lot of info about it.
    Last edited by Valli6; 10-02-2018 at 01:22 PM.