Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gary Johnson a "Liberty Candidate?"

Conception control is available almost everywhere. Killing a human being right up to, and a little after the time of birth is not something anyone should do, and no taxpayer funds should ever be used to pay for it.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    Johnson does not support taxpayer-funded abortion and the Hyde Amendment prevents federal funds from going to abortion, except in the case of rape or incest.
    Who pays for the building that a Planned Parenthood is located in? Who pays for the utilities? If you are subsidizing one part of the business then you are subsidizing abortion. It does not matter if the procedure itself is directly reimbursed. And the reason I posted his quote is to show that he breaks toward being socially liberal and not always libertarian.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 07-13-2016 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    So on the issue of defunding Planned Parenthood, he's not willing to upset the apple cart because it is an issue he is in favor of. He likes government and thinks it should be funding the things he likes. That's the same as what Republicans and Democrats do.

The correct answer is: Government should not be funding abortion or any kind of elective procedure. Full stop. That will end within my first year in office. We will be phasing out funding of other medical issues and repealing Obamacare over the next two years. In the meantime, we will ask Congress to lift regulations on the insurance industry so people can shop around and buy the best policy for them. This will include allowing individuals to purchase only the care they need.

That would be the liberty answer.
    Actually, if you want to really kill RvW and remove federal jurisdiction all together, let states write and enforce their own laws on it. Treat it like a violent crime much like armed robbery. The framers provided the means. And they were wise to do so.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-13-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    So on the issue of defunding Planned Parenthood, he's not willing to upset the apple cart because it is an issue he is in favor of. He likes government and thinks it should be funding the things he likes.
    We all are guilty of that, Euphemia. Take a look at this thread. Longtime RPF members, who claim to be part of the liberty movement, calling for continued support for ticketing drivers who go too slow. They like government and think it should be funding the things they want, like tickets for slow drivers.

The correct answer is: Government should not be funding abortion or any kind of elective procedure. Full stop. That will end within my first year in office. We will be phasing out funding of other medical issues and repealing Obamacare over the next two years. In the meantime, we will ask Congress to lift regulations on the insurance industry so people can shop around and buy the best policy for them. This will include allowing individuals to purchase only the care they need.

That would be the liberty answer.
    I'm glad you agree that repealing Obamacare is the liberty answer. This, in fact, is Johnson's position, but you are saying it as if Johnson has the wrong position on Obamacare. Johnson has said for years and years that Obamacare is bad:

• ObamaCare's promise of lower cost simply isn't happening. (Jan 2016)
    • Government-managed healthcare is insanity. (Aug 2012)
    • Block grant Medicare; carte blanche to the states. (Aug 2011)
    • ObamaCare is unconstitutional; so is Bush's Medicare Rx plan. (Aug 2011)
    • Cut Medicare/Medicaid by 43%, as part of $1.675 trillion cut. (May 2011)
    • Repeal ObamaCare & failed Medicare prescription drug benefit. (May 2011)

Johnson is right on that issue, as well as about 40 other liberty positions, including our right to bear arms. Johnson is the only candidate regularly fighting the media's spin on gun control, arguing in interview after interview that restricting our guns makes us less safe. Trump is on the right side of gun issues but doesn't often talk about it, Clinton wants to "take on the gun lobby", Stein's position is similar to Clinton's, and Castle does almost no interviews in the MSM.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by givemeliberty2010 View Post
    Johnson is probably a moderate libertarian, but there are at least two very libertarian things about him besides social issues: he is for a more restrained foreign policy and he is extremely anti-Trump.
    Being anti-Trump is in no way libertarian. By your flawed logic all of the social justice warriors in CA are libertarians, right along with Bernie and Hillary. Seems like a very strange to judge someone as libertarian.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Voting for Johnson is a liberty choice, even if he isn't a full-fledged liberty candidate. Getting Johnson into the main debates is what we need.

The important thing is making people realize that there are more than two choices of the same thing.
    Last edited by Anti-Neocon; 07-15-2016 at 02:22 PM.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    Voting for Johnson is a liberty choice, even if he isn't a full-fledged liberty candidate. Getting Johnson into the main debates is what we need.
    I think it will happen. Gary is trending slightly upward in the polls, and is generally being included in more and more polls as the pollsters realize that ignoring him won't contain the deep, growing dissatisfaction the public has with the two-party system.

The important thing is making people realize that there are more than two choices of the same thing.
    Yes, because there is a whole lot to gain in adding another establishment globalist to the mix.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, because the guy who couldn't get a CNN interview if his hair was on fire four years ago is somehow "establishment".

I think it would be very interesting to hear how Hillary and Trump would come back at Gary Johnson in the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Yes, because there is a whole lot to gain in adding another establishment globalist to the mix.
    Why not? I won't support Johnson/Weld but Pence is a globalist, the more the merrier, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Yes, because the guy who couldn't get a CNN interview if his hair was on fire four years ago is somehow "establishment".
    Haven't you heard? Everyone who believes in free trade--everyone who thinks America can compete if only we can talk Oriental countries into lowering their tariffs, and is willing to actually look at any trade deal which promises to do that before rejecting it out of hand--is a globalist now. Regardless of how they feel about national or individual sovereignty.

At least in somebody's little make-believe, black-and-white world of cognitive dissonance.

When your position is indefensible, a good offense becomes something more than 'the best defense'. It's the only defense.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-15-2016 at 04:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

//
    Last edited by cajuncocoa; 07-19-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Haven't you heard? Everyone who believes in free trade--everyone who thinks America can compete if only we can talk Oriental countries into lowering their tariffs, and is willing to actually look at any trade deal which promises to do that before rejecting it out of hand--is a globalist now. Regardless of how they feel about national or individual sovereignty.

At least in somebody's little make-believe, black-and-white world of cognitive dissonance.
    In this new bizzaro world protectionism = liberty. We need protectionism so we can keep regulating and taxing our producers, we need a wall on our southern border so we can keep up the welfare state, and we need national borders so we can keep up the warfare state. Don't worry, the state will fix all the problems the state creates.

That is being a bit factitious though. Some have stated they aren't interested in liberty anymore. And some have stated that they are interested in the proper solutions (getting rid of the taxes and regulations, getting rid of the welfare state, and getting rid of the warfare state) but that they don't see it as a possibility. Regardless, I think it is the same with anything, whether it is the 'inevitability' of WWIII or the 'inevitability' of the state acting improperly, if we decide it is inevitable and therefore do not act to prevent this inevitability, then it becomes inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I think it would be very interesting to hear how Hillary and Trump would come back at Gary Johnson in the debate.
    Indeed. The presidential debates are prime-time spectacles watched by millions. Imagine if a liberty candidate (any of them, actually) was allowed to discuss even a few liberty positions in front of a massive audience: legalizing pot, stopping the NSA from spying on Americans, ending the endless wars on terror and drugs, etc. It would bring these positions into the national spotlight, and give them serious attention.

The fact that we have people on RPF arguing for fewer debate voices is telling. A country as vast and powerful as our nation is should never have an artificial cap limiting the presidential choices to just two individuals. And no other first-world country limits the presidential choices to two, the way the US does.

Cool

Indeed. The presidential debates are prime-time spectacles watched by millions. Imagine if a liberty candidate (any of them, actually) was allowed to discuss even a few liberty positions in front of a massive audience: legalizing pot, stopping the NSA from spying on Americans, ending the endless wars on terror and drugs, etc. It would bring these positions into the national spotlight, and give them serious attention.

The fact that we have people on RPF arguing for fewer debate voices is telling. A country as vast and powerful as our nation is should never have an artificial cap limiting the presidential choices to just two individuals. And no other first-world country limits the presidential choices to two, the way the US does.
    I can't believe people here would not want to hear Gary talk about the wars or cronyism because is is against that. He wants to cut spending for goodness sakes and end the drug war. Clinton and Trump need to respond to that.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A person's view on the value of human life is the lens through which he looks at the world. One does not kill infants in the womb or cavalierly put those same kids at risk when they volunteer for military service. One does not insist that those children be forced to have injections of viruses or treat their education as some grand experiment. The value of human life has no price and all people should be treated with dignity and respect.

I just don't see that happening with the current batch of candidates.

If a candidate believes in personal liberty and responsibility, he should say so. He should not be pandering to media and other special interests.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

This is my feeling also. I plan on supporting Gary Johnson in the hopes that he get enough support to make the debates and if the stars align perhaps even get elected as President. If between now and the election, Johnson doesn't make the debates and drops down in the polls thus becoming irrelevant, then I'll vote for the more libertarian leaning candidate, Darrell Castle. But my hopes are that Johnson can get some traction and make the Libertarian Party a viable party nationally moving forward and make it easier for Libertarians to get on ballots and in debates so true libertarians can get elected.

-ML

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Landon View Post
    This is my feeling also. I plan on supporting Gary Johnson in the hopes that he get enough support to make the debates and if the stars align perhaps even get elected as President. If between now and the election, Johnson doesn't make the debates and drops down in the polls thus becoming irrelevant, then I'll vote for the more libertarian leaning candidate, Darrell Castle. But my hopes are that Johnson can get some traction and make the Libertarian Party a viable party nationally moving forward and make it easier for Libertarians to get on ballots and in debates so true libertarians can get elected.

-ML
    Well said. You described my plan 100%, wouldn't change a word.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345