Thread: Get ready for the Global Depression with the Four B's: Bread, Beans, Bullets, Booze

Get ready for the Global Depression with the Four B's: Bread, Beans, Bullets, Booze

What do you all think about a survival type forum added to Liberty Forest?

This was an interesting article that I came across.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Bread, Beans, Bullets and Booze

As the American economy and the dollar continue their downward spiral and mass inflation and unemployment loom on the horizon skills will be needed that are not based on current monetary methodologies. After reviewing problems encountered during my stays at Bear Ridge, I have come up with a list of four basic skill sets necessary to survive in a trade-based economy.

The Four Basics are Bread, Beans, Bullets, and Booze.

Bread is pretty evident. The ability to make various breads from scratch is a valuable commodity. Freshly baked bread are sold at farmers markets or traded for goods and services. Everyone should stockpile several five gallon buckets of flour and as much yeast as possible. The flour will keep for several years in a sealed bucket and most yeast has at least a 3-year shelf life. Learn how to bake bread in a propane, solar and wood-fired oven. A great additional skill is building solar and wood-fired ovens.

Beans are actually meant to represent all gardening and vegetables. Learn how to grow various plants under different conditions. A large diverse garden planted in the summer will give you plenty of nutritious food for trading or canning. Buy a large canning pressure cooker with jars and preserve your vegetables for winter. Seeds should be purchased now and stored in a cool dry container, buy a lot of them. Try planting a few of your favorites each week over the fall and winter and grow them in a south facing window. You will gain experience growing the plants and have fresh vegetables every week. Additionally decide on a few beans you like and buy them dry from your local store. Fill several five-gallon buckets with these and throw in a couple of buckets of dried rice. This reserve of food holds you over until the garden is producing.

Bullets are for hunting and protection. At minimum, every household should have a 22 rifle and a 12-gauge shotgun. The rifle can be used on small game and for target practice. The 22 is not a large gun and the bullets are incredibly cheap and can be purchased in bulk cans. Nothing beats a shotgun for protection, great accuracy is not needed and the weapon itself is very intimidating. Buy plenty of shotgun shells and a reloading kit. The reloading kit saves money and gives you a valuable skill useful in trade.

Booze is certainly the most valuable commodity know to man. The ability to brew a fine beer or vint a robust wine gives the artisan a distinct advantage. Alcohol based beverages are easy to produce and can be sold or traded for just about anything. Learn and understand the fermenting process. Stockpile malt, sugar, brewers yeast, hops and bottles. Home brew beer usually is made in 5-gallon quantities; purchase a brew kit if possible. People in a depressed society look for an escape. The person furnishing that escape becomes invaluable to that society.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I got bread, I got beans, I got bullets and.. Oh hey booze! And I didnt even do it on purpose. Thats just how I roll. Mmm booze.
    PMs are a Ninjas best friend.

I don't think we will need it in the next year but probably within 50 years.

As part of your long-term plan to grow Liberty Forest, yes. (Maybe after Super Tuesday?) These topics keep coming up from time to time on the gun board, the money board, and the health board, but there's nowhere to really concentrate on the topic of self-sufficiency.

I would call it self-sufficiency rather than survival, though. Lots more people are interested in self-sufficiency than think that the world is going to go Mad Max.

One example of something that the current boards do not have a good place for: What you quoted about "bread" contradicts everything I've read about how badly flour supposedly lasts in storage, so that could be a topic for discussion. I would like to have the opportunity to hear from people who really do store lots of food and rotate their stocks and eat old grains.

Another topic there isn't a current place for is gardening and becoming self-sufficient in fresh food, and knowing the dangers that the multinational corporations like Monsanto are presenting to both agriculture and even home gardeners. Preserving heirloom varieties of plants and animals is a special interest of mine as an issue of both personal survival and survival of the human race.

Where the Ron Paul revolution emphasizes personal responsibility, I think it would be an excellent thing. The government isn't going to save us in case of a pandemic or hyperinflation or the electric grid going down.

In short, yes.

replace booze with bullion

replace booze with bullion and you'll do a bit better dudes

hahaha I forgot about this thread
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Can't the FED cook up some financial Zoloft and make the Global Depression all better??

Member #43 of Ron Paul's Campaign for Liberty
    Smallest Political Quiz
    Judge Napolitano on Ron Paul
    Constitutional Republic
    A Republic If You Can Keep It
    Ron Paul in 1988

In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
    -Mark Twain

I'm working on a set-up for #4!
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We may have to use the meetup groups to organize and consolidate houses...

Member #43 of Ron Paul's Campaign for Liberty
    Smallest Political Quiz
    Judge Napolitano on Ron Paul
    Constitutional Republic
    A Republic If You Can Keep It
    Ron Paul in 1988

In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by OptionsTrader View Post
    We may have to use the meetup groups to organize and consolidate houses...
    Not a bad idea.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi