Thread: Cato/Reason Smear Machine Roundup

Cato/Reason Smear Machine Roundup

They're still at it, including the ones who insist they are really trying to help Ron Paul (apparently by embarrassing him into taking their side in the Cato proxy war against Rockwell). Here's the roundup for today:

David Boaz, Cato

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2008/...hing-you-read/

His article, entitled "Don't believe everything you read," is an attempted response of what he calls "attacks on the Cato Institute and several of our staff members" from the blogosphere "fringe" "all because of our attempt to separate the grand old cause of classical liberalism from racism and bigotry." Strangely, this lengthy rant doesn't refute any of the specific charges made against Cato. It doesn't explain Cato's role in the story's background, or when/where/how Cato first learned of the "bombshell" that Kirchick was about to drop. It doesn't explain Cato's stand-offish reception of the Ron Paul campaign before the New Republic. It does not dispute the now-documented fact that Boaz and Jamie Kirchick have been friends with each other since long before the story broke.

He urges his readers not to believe what has been said about Cato yet offers no proof why this should be so, and in fact he refuses to do so on the grounds that it would be like "wrestling with pigs" to respond to his accusers in any substantive, meaningful way. Boaz's entire 6 paragraph rant can actually be reduced to this: "I deny all the charges against Cato and myself, but I'm not going to offer any proof because anybody who attacks us is a closet racist and not a real libertarian."

Tom Palmer, Cato

http://www.tomgpalmer.com/archives/042388.php

His latest response is a simple link to Boaz stating "nuff said," implying his endorsement of the shoddy logic outlined above.

In case anyone's missed it, there's a beautiful irony in the Palmer/Boaz line of response. These guys are both demanding that the Paul campaign "out" the author of the newsletters. Like shrill harpies, their whines echo through the tunnels of the Orange Line. They constantly impugn the Paul campaign with innuendos of deceit, ineptitude, and collusion with people they deem "racists," and they constantly tell us that the Paul campaign's response is "insufficient" unless he outs and publicly flogs Lew Rockwell. Yet when evidence emerges showing that the Cato/Reason crowd colluded with Jamie Kirchick on this story, they refuse to talk. Note to Tom and David: I've seen your responses to the allegation of collusion with TNR, and it's insufficient!

Julian Sanchez, Reason

http://juliansanchez.com/notes/archi..._last_word.php

Sanchez makes the official attempt to respond to Justin Raimondo's excellent analysis of the TNR story (http://www.takimag.com/site/article/...mear_ron_paul/)

Sanchez's argument is wanting on several counts.

1. First, he repeats the meme from his appearance late last week on this forum: "we're just reporters investigating a story and sharing notes with Kirchick out of professional courtesy." Let's break that one down point by point. Well, Mr. Sanchez, let's get one thing straight: you are not a "reporter" and Jamie Kirchick is not a "reporter." You are both nothing more than glorified bloggers at ideologically charged niche magazines with minuscule circulations who hold jobs there for no other reason than your own ideological concurrence with that magazine's niche. The various odds and ends you call a "job" may be enough, as Karen DeCoster has suggested, to pay the rent in a one-bedroom flat on the outskirts of DuPont Circle, but the simple fact is that neither of you will be up for a Pulitzer nomination at any point in your current careers. On the totem pole that is called professional journalism, you sit only marginally above the guy who sells major dailies from a crate at the highway overpass. You don't hold a candle to a typical beat writer in any major daily paper (which, despite being AWFUL for plenty of other reasons, are actually real full time careers with at least some semblance of journalistic professionalism and standards behind them). You aren't a newscaster (not even a bad one like Bill O'Reilly). You aren't a news commentator (not even a bad one like Hannity). Hell, you aren't even the weather girl at the Jackson, Mississippi CBS affiliate. You aren't a Michelle Malkin, painfully attempting to straddle the world between writing newspaper op-eds and blogging, because you do entirely the latter wherein a small portion of the latter is misidentified as the former by virtue of appearing in your own blog-in-print called Reason Magazine. So stop calling yourself a "reporter," stop insisting that shameless hack bloggers like Kirchick are your "professional peers," stop pushing this ridiculous line that you are simply "following the story wherever it leads," and, quite frankly, get a real job and GROW UP.

2. Sanchez does attempt to tackle Raimondo's actual article, but poorly at that. The main thrust of Raimondo's piece was a point-by-point dissection of Kirchick's shoddy journalism, abusive misquotations of the newsletters, and obvious political axe. Yet the bulk of Sanchez's response is caught up in the trivial quips of Raimondo's well-known acerbic writing style. It's easy to see how this happened because Cato and Reason were the direct targets of a sharp tongue in this case. But Sanchez spends so much time concentrating on the insults (many of which are very funny and are meant to be read that way) that he completely misses the main body of the article itself.

3. When moving to the main body of Raimondo's response, Sanchez decides to punt and admits doing so: "I, for my part, don't feel much need to talk about the bulk of Raimondo's piece." All he has to say about his friend Kirchick is this:

I don't think it's my job to defend Kirchick's article: It was a hit piece, it did sometimes stretch to put things in their worst light, and it did make a fuss about some passages that weren't really offensive at all.
    Then he drops the issue. Yes, he admits, Kirchick did a hatchet job. "But that's neither here nor there, really." So the content of Kirchick's allegations is neither here nor there, Julian? I submit that that content is the story itself, both in its claims and in its abusive misportrayal of the quotes. Keep the following in mind: the story is as bad as it is precisely BECAUSE Kirchick gave the worst possible spin to the quotes and precisely BECAUSE, until Raimondo, nobody even questioned that spin. And I can easily prove this to be the case by pointing out that Paul had easily weathered older newsletter stories before where the "offensive" content was exactly the same, but the spin was scrutinized and the response was different.

4. Sanchez's next line is a logical contortion of epic proportions. He just admitted that Kirchick did a hatchet job, but rather than ask how Kirchick's spin affected the way the story played out he dismisses it as an irrelevant attempt at "parsing out the exact percentage of some New Republic article one agrees with." The worst of the worst, he tells us, is simply beyond defending so anything questioning Kirchick's spin is useless - "preposterously strained is the attempt to minimize their awfulness." The problem with this argument is what Raimondo pointed out and others have pointed out all along: yes, there is some truly awful stuff in the newsletters but this "worst of the worst" is isolated to a few short lines The rest is all padding by Kirchick - quotes intentionally taken out of context and contorted into the worst possible light imaginable.

Yet to Sanchez none of that matters. He flippantly dismisses it all as irrelevant. Let's follow his logic: Kirchick's reporting is for the most part shoddy and deceptive, but he did get it right on a couple of really bad examples, so therefore we must unquestioningly accept Kirchick's conclusions as a whole and, in fact, it is not our place to question parts of those conclusions? Am I missing something, or does this simply not add up?

5. Divide and conquer. This is Sanchez's final argument, and it's logical flow is about on par with the earlier ones. Sanchez points out that the Paul campaign repudiated the newsletters. It follows that Raimondo's rebuttals (which we were just told don't matter anyway, no matter how truthful they are) are at odds with the Paul campaign's repudiation of them. The implication then is that Raimondo and Paul are at odds with each other, and therefore Raimondo's argument must be misguided. Think this one through though, all the while keeping in mind that only moments earlier Sanchez dismissed Raimondo's argument as irrelevant but now considers it material for its apparent contradiction of Paul.

Here's what's really going on, and it involves two divergent but equally necessary tactics from a political angle: Paul's campaign, by necessity of the way the media works, HAS to dismiss the newsletters and has to do so in a short, sweet, and simple condemnation. If they get caught up in the details at any level beyond that it becomes too difficult to explain in 15 second soundbytes on Wolf Blitzer or Tim Russert. This sad byproduct of the 24 hour news cycle leaves some people (including his supporters) wanting a more substantive response, but it is politically necessary because a more substantive response is also by necessity more complex...which means it's harder to explain in 15 seconds and only makes the story worse in the public mind.

In contrast, Raimondo is conducting an equally important analytical dissection of Kirchick's article. He is providing the answer to those of us who want more substance on Kirchick, and he is also throwing a large wrench into the gears of the Cato/Reason crowd, which up until this point has taken Kirchick's abusive spin as truth without question (possibly in part because many of them are personally friends with Kirchick himself). In other words, Raimondo His purpose is doing what we'd like the Paul campaign to do but what they cannot do because of political constraints imposed by the media spin cycle.

This is Campaign School 101 stuff, and it is mind-boggling that a self-styled political "reporter" like Sanchez could be so completely lacking in political sense that he doesn't recognize it. To react as he does is to pretend that the Paul campaign exists in a vacuum, impervious to the political realities of the news cycle and therefore making its pronouncements that are clearly tailored to that news cycle an artificial point of rebuttal to Raimondo, who is not bound by that constraint. If anyone wondered why these Cato/Reason types take the career of glorified blogger instead of real reporters or real political movers and shakers here's your answer in its full glory: they don't understand the politics of the same media circles they pretend to inhabit, and that makes them and their chosen candidates inherently unelectable.

David Weigel, Reason

http://www.reason.com/blog/show/124523.html

Weigel's latest is an attempt to keep the newsletter story going by chaining it to today's MLK day themed money bomb. As Weigel puts it, "Anecdotally, from personal contacts and contacts across the web, I know some casual Paul fans have given up supporting the campaign since this scandal. Many will still vote for him, but they're uncomfortable posting signs or giving him cash." His "evidence" in the numbers is that after 9 hours, the money bomb produced only $400,000.

Keep in mind that these first 9 hours fell between midnight and 9 AM this morning - i.e. the time that most normal people are asleep. I guess that excludes the typical Reason/Cato cosmotarian crowd, which spends the wee hours of the day hopping around the trendy nightclubs of Adams Morgan (or blogging at 4:37 AM after spending the morning doing god knows what else...http://www.tomgpalmer.com/archives/042385.php). But most normal Americans actually sleep at night. Predictably, today's moneybomb trends have accelerated rapidly after about 8 AM EST when the non-cosmotarian world began to wake up (http://www.ronpaulgraphs.com/last_48...donations.html). And as of right now we're at a solid $1 million for the day. Weigel's next point is to predict that this moneybomb will fall short of the last ones. Clearly, Weigel is setting the stage for a self-fulfilling prophecy where a "disappointing" moneybomb can be blamed on the newsletter "scandal," and ends up vindicating everything that Reason and Cato have been doing for the last two weeks.

The only problem is that a $1 million haul or more for the day is NOT a failure! Sure, it falls short of the $6 million Tea Party haul but that comparison is about like saying a 4 minute mile is a failure because it didn't break the world record. Bottom line: if today's moneybomb stays at its current pace things are looking very good for a solid and commendable 1-day haul, the Cato/Reason Smear machine not withstanding.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Francisco,

Thanks for the great analysis. Most of us just don't have the time, patience and energy to investigate this fratricidal libertarian turf war. Good work.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by colin1 View Post
    Francisco,

Thanks for the great analysis. Most of us just don't have the time, patience and energy to investigate this fratricidal libertarian turf war. Good work.
    It's dirty work but somebody's gotta do it

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco Suarez View Post
    It's dirty work but somebody's gotta do it
    I appreciate it. The whole situation leaves me slack-jawed. I understand they differ with some of his paleo stances, but this may be the one chance in their lifetime to have a truly libertarian minded candidate, and this is what they do. Since I'm maxed out for RP's campaign, I guess I will just have to write a fat check to the Mises Institute.

Quote Originally Posted by colin1 View Post
    I appreciate it. The whole situation leaves me slack-jawed. I understand they differ with some of his paleo stances, but this may be the one chance in their lifetime to have a truly libertarian minded candidate, and this is what they do. Since I'm maxed out for RP's campaign, I guess I will just have to write a fat check to the Mises Institute.
    Libertarians - especially beltway Libertarians - have a bad habit of eating their own. It's why they never win elections.

Meanwhile, I patiently await the Reason/Cato crowd's coverage of Mitt Romney's campaign stop this afternoon when he walked around a MLK parade asking little black kids to show him their "bling bling."

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008...-the-dogs-out/

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco Suarez View Post
    Libertarians - especially beltway Libertarians - have a bad habit of eating their own. It's why they never win elections.

Meanwhile, I patiently await the Reason/Cato crowd's coverage of Mitt Romney's campaign stop this afternoon when he walked around a MLK parade asking little black kids to show him their "bling bling."

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008...-the-dogs-out/
    <crickets chirping>

At least he didn't ask them to "get jiggy wit it"

The only problem is that a $1 million haul or more for the day is NOT a failure! Sure, it falls short of the $6 million Tea Party haul but that comparison is about like saying a 4 minute mile is a failure because it didn't break the world record. Bottom line: if today's moneybomb stays at its current pace things are looking very good for a solid and commendable 1-day haul, the Cato/Reason Smear machine not withstanding.

In addition, real reporters might have interviewed the people who put this moneybomb together and discovered that it is geared toward expanding the pool of first-time donors rather than raising millions. That is why it asks for $10 donations rather than the $100 dollar donation goal of the Nov 5 and TeaParty bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by Abegweit View Post
    In addition, real reporters might have interviewed the people who put this moneybomb together and discovered that it is geared toward expanding the pool of first-time donors rather than raising millions. That is why it asks for $10 donations rather than the $100 dollar donation goal of the Nov 5 and TeaParty bombs.
    Good point. It should also be noted that many old donors have already maxed out at $2300 from the last two money bombs. They would donate again today if the federal government didn't prohibit it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Palmer Unhinged!

Cato's Tom Palmer is on a tirade this afternoon and I think it proves what some of us have been saying all along. This guy is completely unhinged.

All it took was a couple of very *mild* criticisms of him, basically for punting in his earlier post. One said "You have at least as much of a duty to come clean about those charges as Ron Paul does about the newsletters. Pigs or no pigs." Another said "These guys are so arrogant that they believe they don't have to answer to anyone -- except, maybe, The New Republic." That was basically it. Then Palmer became unglued and posted this:

What are the charges Jeremy wishes to see answered? Let's see. Here are a few that have been bandied about, none with any evidence offered.

That Cato was "for the Iraq war." False. One Cato staffer (at the time director of the trade policy center) wrote one article in favor, in a debate in Reason. He has since changed his mind and believes it was a terrible mistake. Every other Cato staffer was against it and any review of Cato's policy output would show that the Cato Institute has provided the most extensive and serious criticisms available of the Bush Administration's foolish and reckless policies, on the war, on foreign adventuring, on habeus corpus, on the USA PATRIOT act, etc., etc. I went to Iraq a number of times after the unjustified invasion to promote libertarian values and met with lawyers, members of parliament, journalists, civic groups, and others. That does not constitute "support for the war." Those who did the same after World War II in Europe should not be charged with being supporters of Roosevelt, but that is the standard applied by the cultists. The U.S. should never have invaded and, after the fact, should have laid plans for and carried out a withdrawal a long time ago. My position is essentially the same (but perhaps a bit more non-interventionist and for a more rapid pullout) than Ron Paul's.

That Cato "endorsed Fred Thompson." False. For one thing, the Cato Institute does not endorse candidates. Ever. A Cato scholar did write an article some time ago saying he was happy that Fred Thompson was raising issues about federalism, which was distorted into the "Cato endorsed Thompson" meme. Numerous other Cato scholars have written very critical remarks about Thompson's policies. Cato "endorsed Rudy Giuliani." False. I can think of many negative things, but no positive things said by Cato scholars about Giuliani's policies come to mind.

That, according to a number of crazy online claims, staff members of Cato and staff members of Reason all live near metro stations (the Orange line, in particular), so ... um, they must be some sort of conspirators.

That, since the author of the New Republic article is, according to emails I have gotten from enthusiastic Rockwellites, a "$#@!," and I am a "******," I must have been in a relationship with him. Well, some of those obsessed with such matters evidently have very active imaginations, as I had never met him until a Reason magazine happy hour I attended after his article ran.

I have warned people for a long time about Lew Rockwell's vile racism. I had written only generally positive things about Ron Paul's candidacy, as I was pleased that someone was raising foreign policy issues in the debates. (I disagree with his unlibertarian, populistic, and nationalistic immigration policies, his consistent votes against free trade, and his strangely conspiratorial views about threats to American "sovereignty," which I do not take seriously.) But the people who are angry now because someone else found the evidence of Lew Rockwell's racism should ask themselves if they should have thought about such matters earlier and dropped him from their campaign. Someone who pointed out the evil of another is not himself responsible for the existence of that evil. Nor is he responsible for others finding it.

There have been two articles with Cato's byline on them (click above) that have mentioned Ron Paul's truly ugly newsletters, neither of which have mentioned the sources of the newsletters by name (but who seriously doesn't believe that Rockwell was hip deep in the whole sorry mess?). (Or do "Jeremy and Jerry" think that someone at Cato wrote the newsletters and then smuggled them into libraries, to be discovered later by a writer for the New Republic?) There is something called research and a writer can actually find where newsletters are located. It takes a few minutes on the internet to find that various libraries had copies. Then you can go online and buy a ticket to the cities and visit the libraries. No one "planted" the newsletters there. There they were. Is it a surprise that a candidate occasions research? Think about it.

Either defend the newsletters or don't. If you don't, then ask who wrote them. But don't insinuate that the Cato Institute or anyone there is somehow responsible for them existing or becoming public, as neither is the case.

But that's what cults are about. You circle the wagons and spew venom at the rest of the world when your own camp is found responsible for really ugly, vile, and sickening publications. You create elaborate conspiracy stories to explain why things don't go your way, especially when the sources of the problem are in your own camp.

But maybe Jerry and Jeremy don't find the comments ugly, vile, or sickening. If that's the case, then they are collectivists and not part of a movement for freedom.
    Take a stab at answering him if you like, & I will do the same later this evening when I have more time. But it's clear to me from the above that this guy isn't mentally stable. Sane people do not react that way to mild criticisms. I agree that Palmer needs to "come clean," and I think dozens of other libertarians would agree since the evidence is mounting to show Cato's collaboration in the Kirchick story. But if this is how he responds to even the slightest criticism I can understand completely where this feud he has with Lew Rockwell comes from.

See the link at the top of the page. It's in the comments.

It's amazing that the first true libertarian in A LONG TIME to actually have a chance to win the nomination is being smeared so badly by these so called classical liberals.

Does anyone who doesn't already support Paul read Reason?

Uh I don't trust anyone who calls themselves 'libertarian'. To me it means chameleon, or whatever they want it to mean.

Cato and Reason Foundation are beltway phony conservative 'libertarian' orgs founded by CFR people.

The fellow who appeared with Gillespie on Tucker Carlson on the 21st was introduced as the former editor of The New Republic magazine and on the board of the CFR as a senior fellow.

So you can see how they are all enmeshed, with this Kirchick newbie earning his stripes for the CFR via the CFR controlled publication, The New Republic, where he put his hit piece on Ron Paul.

I have never trusted Cato Institute or Reason Foundation...