Thread: What happens in a brokered convention?

What happens in a brokered convention?

And why does everyone really want this? If it did come down to a brokered convention, what's to stop all of the neo-cons to team up and vote for one candidate in order to stop Paul?

I don't understand the hype.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I really don't understand what goes on, but we had some state GOP party members come to one of our Ron Paul meetups to discuss delegates, and this was touched on. I'm in Arkansas, and the official GOP party has endorsed Huckabee (ick), however, they say that Huckabee is hoping for a brokered convention as well, that way he could negotiate either a VP position or cabinet position.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Detroit View Post
    And why does everyone really want this? If it did come down to a brokered convention, what's to stop all of the neo-cons to team up and vote for one candidate in order to stop Paul?

I don't understand the hype.

I started a thread about this yesterday and received a lot of answers. Let me see if I can find it and I will post the link to it.

This is why we must poll at 20% nationally after Feb 5th

I don't think it's very promising for Dr Paul. The only thing he could get out of it is the VP slot, and even that seems unlikely, unless he really plays hardball by threatening an independent run or something.

In other words, if McCain and Romney were tied for delegates, RP could offer up his delegates to Romney, in exchange for certain promises, maybe the VP slot. But Huckleberry Hound and Giuliani might also be in a position to strike a similar deal. It all depends on a lot of unknown factors. One thing is for sure = the more delgates we have, the better.

You got it. Once all conventions were brokered, back in the "smoke filled room" days. Now we have primaries and the people have a say.

Basically deals will be cut in exchange for candidates giving their delegates to other candidates. The only thing we will have going for us in this case is the strong evidence that Dr. Paul's star is on the rise (because the only way he'll have a significant number of delegates to broker is if we get his momentum up now). This should make the G.O.P. wary of thwarting the will of the people.

Given the race to date, I actually think the odds of a brokered convention are good. The only question is, can we help Dr. Paul get enough delegates to go in with a strong hand?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MayTheRonBeWithYou View Post
    I don't think it's very promising for Dr Paul. The only thing he could get out of it is the VP slot, and even that seems unlikely, unless he really plays hardball by threatening an independent run or something.

In other words, if McCain and Romney were tied for delegates, RP could offer up his delegates to Romney, in exchange for certain promises, maybe the VP slot. But Huckleberry Hound and Giuliani might also be in a position to strike a similar deal. It all depends on a lot of unknown factors. One thing is for sure = the more delgates we have, the better.
    You have the belief that every single delegate will stick with their candidate after the first few bound votes. I'm of the belief that I can get them to switch their support to Dr. Paul, especially after deadlocked votes. Once his vote count starts going up, it will be even easier to talk other delegates into nominating him. Economy is most likely going to be in full recession by then, the question is whether people will stick to killing the GOP or swallow their pride and nominate Dr. Paul to restore the GOP.
    Want to help Dr. Paul's campaign? Canvass! Learn how at http://www.ronpaulreveres.com/
    Want to coordinate your canvassing? Become a Precinct Leader! http://voters.ronpaul2008.com/grassroots/
    Rough Draft: Final Notice of Fiscal Burden
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=92802
    JPEG Graphic of Final Notice of Fiscal Burden http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=96659