Thread: Can a non US citizen own a gun after recieving a green card?

Can a non US citizen own a gun after recieving a green card?

I have a green card, or known as permanent resident. I'll be becoming a U.S. citizen in just few more years.

Please don't reply saying "I hope not" or "why the hell do you need a gun, you are not a U.S. citizen."

I'm concerned because of the possible dire economic situation that is currently forming here in U.S. It's for protection.

Just a question.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are alien firearm permits. I don't know much about them except that they exist and you don't need one if you are a Canadian.

According to the ATF, you can legally purchase and own a firearm (so long as you are otherwise qualified) if you are a green card holder:

(R7) I have a "green card" and have lived in Texas for several years. Am I prohibited from purchasing firearms and ammunition from an FFL in Texas?

As long as you are not otherwise prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms and ammunition (for example, a felon), Federal law does not prohibit you from purchasing or possessing firearms or ammunition. However, you will need to put your alien number or admission number on the Form 4473 and provide the FFL with documentation establishing you have resided in Texas for more than 90 consecutive days preceding the transaction. Moreover, you must make sure there are no State or local restrictions on such a purchase.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#r7

Different states have different laws.

Under Federal law yes.

I know here in AZ you have to be a US citizen to get a CCW permit, but not to buy a gun. You just have to be legal resident to buy one.

In Florida, yes.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Absolutely, and they can even attain concealed weapons permits (also in florida).

Just ask my beautiful (heavily armed) Turkish wife!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmistad View Post
    I have a green card, or known as permanent resident. I'll be becoming a U.S. citizen in just few more years.
    Why would you want to become a US citizen? Are you crazy? People are spending fortunes getting out of here .... and anyone still coming here is a little late to the party and all that is left are crumbs .... which will soon be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmistad View Post

Please don't reply saying "I hope not" or "why the hell do you need a gun, you are not a U.S. citizen."

I'm concerned because of the possible dire economic situation that is currently forming here in U.S. It's for protection.

Just a question.
    Absolutely Yes! I am a green card holder and have purchased firearms a few times. You just need to have the last 3 months worth of utility bills (or your lease agreement) showing your name and current address to prove you've lived there for at least 90 days. Also, when filling out the form, there's a list of questions at the bottom of page 1. One of the questions asks if you're a legal non-immigrant. Don't make the mistake I always do and say "yes" to it. You're not a "non"-immigrant when you have a green card.

Quote Originally Posted by jonahtrainer View Post
    Why would you want to become a US citizen? Are you crazy? People are spending fortunes getting out of here .... and anyone still coming here is a little late to the party and all that is left are crumbs .... which will soon be gone.
    So he can vote for Ron Paul. Also, many countries have dual citizenship relationship with the US.
    "If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will Lose its freedom: and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that, too."

- William Somerset Maugham

Quote Originally Posted by jonahtrainer View Post
    I live 50 miles from the border with Mexico. Traffic is one way and thats coming IN to the US, not leaving.

h00ligan

Quote Originally Posted by OddballAZ View Post
    Under Federal law yes.

I know here in AZ you have to be a US citizen to get a CCW permit, but not to buy a gun. You just have to be legal resident to buy one.
    Actually that's not true. Arizona is one of the few states that allows a Greencard holder to obtain a CCW.

From ARS 13-3112

E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:

1. Is a resident of this state or a United States citizen.
    Just a heads up in case others ask you!

Quote Originally Posted by h00ligan View Post
    Actually that's not true. Arizona is one of the few states that allows a Greencard holder to obtain a CCW.

From ARS 13-3112

Just a heads up in case others ask you!
    welcome

h00ligan

Thanks, it's silly it took me so long to find this place, i've been doing the meetup.com thing and for some reason never thought to find the forum instead, lol. Fwiw, i'll be testing that CCW theory in about a month - I'm an expat who bought a private sale firearm and looking to get a ccw, which is why i had the answer to this question!

Gotta love Arizona's relatively fair gun law. On a side note the local member based gun range is comping me a machine gun rental on my birthday.. heh.
    Last edited by h00ligan; 03-15-2008 at 12:52 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.