Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOW TO: Run for Congress

Quote Originally Posted by cien750hp View Post
    you should try in 2010
    we need people in there as soon as we can
    even if you don't win you still spread the message more
    what do other thin, I mean, anyone who can educate me on the jump starting the process a little bit more in detail if I do it this soon. Like all the initial paperwork if I un with a party, right now it seems simpler to me to just go to door to get the petition to run independant.

Though it'd be nice to run republican but it seems I'd have to spend all my time climbing the rants in a year to run 2010.
    Alex Merced - A Champion of Freedom
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

HAYEKFORUMS.COM
    - Economics and Philosophy Discussion and Debate

ALEXMERCEDFORUMS.COM
    - Libertarian Community and Discussion

Donate to Help Alex Merced promote Liberty Full Time

FACEBOOK PAGES YOU SHOULD LIKE

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMerced View Post
    what do other thin, I mean, anyone who can educate me on the jump starting the process a little bit more in detail if I do it this soon. Like all the initial paperwork if I un with a party, right now it seems simpler to me to just go to door to get the petition to run independant.

Though it'd be nice to run republican but it seems I'd have to spend all my time climbing the rants in a year to run 2010.
    torchbearer is running i think, you should pm him. he might have some info to help you

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm only 21 now so congress is out of the question for me because I have literally no experience let alone a solid education. But Ron Paul has definitely inspired me to minor in political science. Maybe even in economics. Who knows I might even run in the future. Maybe one day I'll have the pleasure of working with Rand Paul.

As a future candidate for congress I will pledge right now that I will not allow any racist publications under my name. Then I will be unstoppable!
    Last edited by The Tao Of Bill; 01-20-2008 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMerced View Post

Get involved your the local GOP. If you make a name for yourself and get the party behind you that is huge. Being the GOP nominee in a congressional race will automatically get you 80-90% of the votes you need to win in most districts. That is a huge advantage over running independent.

"Running..."

Okay, so here's the thing. Both my wife and I have always voted for congress/senate by reading over the platform statement in the voters pamphlet and voting based on that. I don't know if that's typical, but...

If that was typical, it seems that it shouldn't cost hardly anything to "run" for congress/senate. Granted... one might be unlikely to succeed with that approach, depending on how hotly it's contested. However, just getting a name on a every congressional ballot across the country with a platform statement of liberty would do huge things to move things forward even if only a fraction actually get elected.

So... if I were willing to "run", where would I start? I'm thinking the house--I'm in Washington State 3rd congressional district. I agree that it would likely be best done in the republican party and not just in a third party (oh, if used condercet or something instead of popular it wouldn't be necessary to do that).

Is there already a "paulite" running in this congressional district? If so, who? If not, is there a person who would be interested in doing so? If no one more qualified/likely than me, I'll volunteer.

Is there a site to keep track of all this? We should organize every "paulite" across the nation and ensure in every district there is someone running we can vote for and be excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk View Post
    Get involved your the local GOP. If you make a name for yourself and get the party behind you that is huge.
    What's the process for becoming the congressional candidate for republican party? Is it just appointed? Is there a primary/caucus for it? I couldn't find any info about it on my state gop site.

Every state will have different requirements per say, with respect to the requirements mandated by the U.S. Constitution.

You should look up the board of electors for your state and click on any links that may apply to your needs.

Example-Google search:
    "California Board of Electors"

This is the hit,
    http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/

For this website there is a link titled, "Qualifications for running for office".

Hope that helped.

Rich

I am thinking of running. . .
    Keep on rockin' in what's left of the free world

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Other ways to win

For those of you in districts that usually lean democrat consider running in both the Republican and Libertarian (and maybe even the democratic) primaries. Earl Warren ran in both the dem and rep primaries when he ran for governor of California. I have a candidate I am trying to convince to run in both here in Arizona. If I can convince the campaign to do so, it might even allow us to collect more money for the election. I think it will get free publicity as well.

Let me know what you think.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12