Thread: Brokered Convention, Explaination?

Brokered Convention, Explaination?

While I pay attention to politics fiercely, I must admit that I have no idea what a brokered convention is and how it benefits Congressman Paul. I understand that there hasn't been one in over 60 years.

Can someone clue me in? Thank you kindly.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by Paul10; 02-23-2008 at 11:31 PM.

I don't know the specifics, but I'll try to help.

From what I've heard, a candidate needs over 50% of the candidates come convention time to prevent it from ending up brokered.

When the candidates go to the convention, most are bound to vote for the candidate that they "preferred" when they got selected. However, if nobody gets 50% in the first vote, they are no longer "bound" to vote for that candidate and it becomes brokered. They can then intermingle and convince people to vote their way or vote for their second choice or whatever in the next vote.

The delegates each state sends are supposed to vote for the candidate the state picked. However, if nobody has a 50% majority, all the delegates can vote for whoever they want.

Thank you all. So it turns into a caucus-like event.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul10 View Post
    No one has 50% + 1 delegates. This doesn't help Paul because none of the people going to the Convention will switch to Paul. It'll be like the Wyoming Caucus.
    if the messages continues to get out and the economy continues its decline it is very possible that they would vote for him by the time of the convention..

It benefits Ron Paul because it gives us a couple more months to get our message out and in a sense gives us a second chance.
    Help convert the Republican Party from within

|------------|------------------|---------------|-----------------|-You are here----|-----------|
    Tyranny --> Revolution --> Freedom --> Prosperity --> Dependency ---> Tyranny

better than being locked in a padded room

Quote Originally Posted by Paul10 View Post
    No one has 50% + 1 delegates. This doesn't help Paul because none of the people going to the Convention will switch to Paul. It'll be like the Wyoming Caucus.

except that it is better than going to the convention with one of the other "major"
    candidates having it already locked up!

lynn
    proof of explosives in WTC on 9/11 .....
    peer-reviewed paper in scientific journal - unreacted flakes of Thermite found in WTC dust!
    http://www.bentham.org/open/tocpj/ar...002/7TOCPJ.pdf
    videos:
    Entire Steven E Jones presentation at PNAC event in UT, Austin, Texas
    video:
    PNAC Rebuilding America's Senses Steven Jones Lecture

architects and engineers for 9/11 truth
    http://www.ae911truth.org/

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by twdahm View Post
    if the messages continues to get out and the economy continues its decline it is very possible that they would vote for him buy the time of the conention..
    Yes, alot can and will happen between now and then.

Last edited by Paul10; 02-23-2008 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RPinSEAZ View Post
    It benefits Ron Paul because it gives us a couple more months to get our message out and in a sense gives us a second chance.
    No thanks. I think we should see where we are after Feb 5th (as Dr Paul has said) and then make some serious decisions, like gearing up for an independent run if the GOP nomination is out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by billjarrett View Post
    I don't know the specifics, but I'll try to help.

From what I've heard, a candidate needs over 50% of the candidates come convention time to prevent it from ending up brokered.

When the candidates go to the convention, most are bound to vote for the candidate that they "preferred" when they got selected. However, if nobody gets 50% in the first vote, they are no longer "bound" to vote for that candidate and it becomes brokered. They can then intermingle and convince people to vote their way or vote for their second choice or whatever in the next vote.
    Is that about the time Ron Paul stands up at the mike and announces to everyone is a very smart ass but polite way that he is going to take all of his supporters to an independent run if they do not elect him...and killing there hopes of a republican in the white house? That would be priceless...if possible...HeHeHe
    "Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear — kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor — with the cry of grave national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil at home or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it."
    -- General Douglas MacArthur

Glenn Beck actually talked on this tonight. Of course he only mentioned Romney, McCain, and Huck as the major contenders, but the GOP strategist was on there and someone(forget if it was Glenn or the GOP guy) said something about going up to Paul delegates and offering them positions in the cabinet or adopting some of Paul's policies in return for their vote. I was thinking just how stupid that is going to sound to a Paul supporter. "Oh, so this guy that was LAUGHING at Paul while he was talking about this problem is going to adopt it to heart? Go... Oh Hey, Frank Luntz... yourself."
    Want to help Dr. Paul's campaign? Canvass! Learn how at http://www.ronpaulreveres.com/
    Want to coordinate your canvassing? Become a Precinct Leader! http://voters.ronpaul2008.com/grassroots/
    Rough Draft: Final Notice of Fiscal Burden
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=92802
    JPEG Graphic of Final Notice of Fiscal Burden http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=96659

They are adopting them as we speak.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care