Thread: NEWS: "All Together Now"...Libertarian Presidential Candidate Endorses Paul

DisabledVet

NEWS: "All Together Now"...Libertarian Presidential Candidate Endorses Paul

LINK TO STORY

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Fort Bragg, CA -- Citing overwhelming support from his own party's members and lackluster response to Libertarian presidential campaigns, Steve Kubby today endorsed US Representative Ron Paul's campaign for the Republican Party's 2008 presidential nomination. Kubby, a candidate in his own party's presidential contest, made the endorsement in an interview from his home in Mendocino County, California.

"I am not, and have never been, a Republican," says Kubby, 60, best known for his work for cannabis legalization and on behalf of medical marijuana patients. "For me, the Libertarian Party has always been, and remains, our last best hope for achieving freedom through the American political process. And until recently my position was that the Libertarian Party needed to stick to its own guns, stake out its own territory. But sometimes a special situation comes along."

Recent polling shows Paul garnering the support of about 70% of LP members -- and the LP's front-runners, including Kubby, clustered together in the 2-3% range among those same members. That polling, Paul's much higher media profile, and fundraising reports showing that Paul has raised nearly 100 times as much money as any of his Libertarian competitors, convinced Kubby that this is just such a situation.

"I'm still running for president," says Kubby. "My campaign's first television commercial will debut shortly. I'm continuing to debate my opponents, attend public events as a candidate, and appear on talk radio to make my case. There are important things that need to be said, and I'm saying them. Dr. Paul and I disagree on some issues that I want to skyline, and I firmly believe that I'm the best candidate to represent the party next November. But when 70% of your own party believes so strongly in a candidate that they're willing to cross party lines to support him at least until he's out of the running, you owe it to them to back their play."

Kubby states that if his fellow freedom activists' long-shot bet pays off and Ron Paul becomes the Republican nominee, he will withdraw, ask the party to nominate "None of the Above" at its national convention, and work as a volunteer on Paul's general election campaign. "And I'm urging my fellow Libertarians to approach this in the same way," he says. "But at the same time, I'll continue preparing to give the LP the best presidential campaign I can give it if that doesn't work out."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That may be the most bizarre article I've ever read. He's still spending money on commercials...but endorsing another candidate. Weeeeeiiiiirrrrd
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” -- P.J. O'Rourke

it's strategic, from his point of view he cares more about
    getting the libertarian message out so he's hedging his bets
    in case paul doesnt win the primary the entire argument isn't lost.
    he can still continue to argue to be included in debates in the general
    election. of course none of that is going to matter cause ron paul is
    going to win the primaries by landslides
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

This is an old story. Welcome to last week.

While it is old news, it's VERY GOOD news.

With him still campaigning, he will pull in more voters.
    As long as RP gains momentum, Kubby can later then fully endorse RP and convert a good chunk of those voters over to RP.

it's brilliant.

Thanks for posting DisabledVet...I missed that story and am happy I am not in last week alone.

D.G. --I hope you enjoyed pointing out our lack of staying current. Your attitude sucks, but the post is marvelous!
    Last edited by Spatch67; 07-26-2007 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Clarity
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” -- P.J. O'Rourke