Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brokered convention, here we come :D

Brokered convention, here we come :D

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-t..._consider.html

A brokered convention is the best possible outcome for us short of Ron Paul just flat-out winning all the primaries.

The GOP convention will start on September 1, 2008. This will give us SEVEN AND A HALF MONTHS to bring to fruition a great awakening--a mass intellectual revolution in thought and political philosophy. This is the only way we will win if we don't sweep 2/5, and it can be done. We need to kick it into high gear--canvass and convince.
    DRAFT JUSTIN AMASH 2020
    http://www.DraftAmash.com

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Well, it's better than someone getting 50% of the delegates.

I hear the Republicans are worried about this happening.

: )

Romney will buy the delegates off

I've said, for me, since the beginning of this, the best scenario is to keep the message going as long as possible. A brokered convention does that. I love it! I think a 3rd party run does as well, but brokered works too!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Huck peaked too early no more free media for him. Hes in third now.

What happens with a brokered convention???

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    Romney will buy the delegates off
    Pshh. Ron Paul can put Romney to shame in fundraising any time we want.
    DRAFT JUSTIN AMASH 2020

A brokered convention

This happens when no one candidate wins more than 50% of the available delegates. That means that when the convention starts, nobody knows who the nominee will be. All the delegates who are bound to vote for their state's winner do so. But if no one gets a majority, all the bound delegates become UNBOUND, and are allowed to vote for the candidate of their choice. If all of us swarm our local precinct and district conventions, we can stack the national convention with Ron Paul supporters who, on the second ballot, when they become unbound from voting for their state's winner, vote for Ron Paul and hand him the nomination...REGARDLESSS of how many primaries he won.

Ron Paul for the Long Haul!

I am sure there are the trolls that will post that if we were'nt third then its all over.

They expected us to fold. It isn't happening. It's not gonna.

If ya can't go into over time then leave us now. When you come back and say you've been with us all along we'll take ya (as long as you vote Paul in November).

edit: In the mean time STFU about Ron Paul not winning because of this or that and we'll cya later.

Onward to the brokered.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 01-15-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Va is preparing for this.
    Official Campaign Donations: Nov 5th, $100 - Nov 20th, $50 - Nov 30th, $40 - Dec 16th Tea Party $250 - Free at Last, $50
    ChipIns: Ron Paul Riders, $10 - Arab American Newspaper Ad, $20 - 5 For Freedom, $5 - Llepard USA Today Ad reprint, $5
    Ronpaulblimp: $50

VA Ballot Petition: 26 Signatures

www.RonPaulVa.com Become a VA Ron Paul Delegate!

Rudy got embarassed BECAUSE he finished lower than Ron Paul according to CNN.

Whoa. Just as I was reading this, Larry King was asking about the possibility of a brokered convention. What an odd coincidence.

With all of this brokered convention talk, no one has mentioned how they think someone who is a committed delegate for another candidate will all the sudden decide that Ron Paul is the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Drknows View Post
    Huck peaked too early no more free media for him. Hes in third now.
    Haha...No more money for Huckie, either...Hahaha.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    With all of this brokered convention talk, no one has mentioned how they think someone who is a committed delegate for another candidate will all the sudden decide that Ron Paul is the right choice.
    Well, candidates can release their delegates to vote their conscience.
    DRAFT JUSTIN AMASH 2020

REGARDLESSS of how many primaries he won.
    Not quite. GOP bylaws state that the candidate must win 5 primaries, I believe.

Oh, and Huckabee has raised about $160,000 today. I hope this is his last big day.
    When all else fails,
    there's always
    www.escapeartist.com

Quote Originally Posted by freelance View Post

Oh, and Huckabee has raised about $160,000 today. I hope this is his last big day.
    Wait, a candidate has to win 5 primaries in order for what?
    DRAFT JUSTIN AMASH 2020

If Romney taks Nevada also, how is he going to be stopped from getting 50% of the delegates. Right now he has taken 2nd in Iowa, 1st in Wyoming, 2nd in New Hampshire, 1st in Michigan. He will probably take 1st in Nevada and will do well in S.C.

--Dustan

Quote Originally Posted by Dustancostine View Post
    If Romney taks Nevada also, how is he going to be stopped from getting 50% of the delegates. Right now he has taken 2nd in Iowa, 1st in Wyoming, 2nd in New Hampshire, 1st in Michigan. He will probably take 1st in Nevada and will do well in S.C.

--Dustan
    Romney's probably going to come in below Rudy and McCain in all the delegate-rich 2/5 states... NY, NJ, CT, etc.
    DRAFT JUSTIN AMASH 2020

Could we get into a situation where Ron has enough delegates to demand that he be the VP running mate?

Quote Originally Posted by MayTheRonBeWithYou View Post
    Could we get into a situation where Ron has enough delegates to demand that he be the VP running mate?
    Probably not. Doubt RP would want to be relegated to such a menial position in an administration whose policy would be built around everything he abhors, either.
    DRAFT JUSTIN AMASH 2020

Quote Originally Posted by aspiringconstitutionalist View Post
    Wait, a candidate has to win 5 primaries in order for what?
    Be considered for the Nomination.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    We are in this for the long haul. We have the money and desire and we have been building the base with PCs.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Please explain this brokered convention. Everyone talks about it but never defines it. What does it mean, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
    Be considered for the Nomination.
    So, what? If Ron Paul doesn't win any primaries, but candidates start releasing their delegates, and the delegates vote for Ron Paul, giving Ron Paul a majority of the delegates, Ron Paul still can't get the nomination because he didn't win 5 states?? Are you sure about that? I've never heard anything like that.
    DRAFT JUSTIN AMASH 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
    Please explain this brokered convention. Everyone talks about it but never defines it. What does it mean, exactly?
    Basically, if no candidate has 50% + 1 of the delegates after the first round of voting, all the delegates may vote their conscience amongst any of the nominated candidates.

However, we need five states to make this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by freelance View Post
    First I've heard of this. Link or its not true

While there's a real possibility of nobody winning 50%, I don't think it will go all the way to the convention. Either 1st or 2nd place will get 3rd place to get his delegates to vote for him in exchange for the VP nomination, and that deal will be made and announced long before the actual convention.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast