Thread: UK Prisoners to be Given Chip Implants

Thumbs down UK Prisoners to be Given Chip Implants

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/pol...cle3333852.ece

"There is a proposal in the UK to implant "machine-readable" microchips under the skin of thousands of offenders in an effort to free up more space in British jails. The article states that uses are being considered both for home detention, as a means to enforce punishment, as well as for sex offenders after their release. Many view this as a slippery slope leading to much wider use; starting as a purely voluntary act and gradually becoming more compulsory, it would endanger human rights and privacy. There are also health questions involved, given that long-term studies have linked similar implants to cancer in lab mice and rats. Ironically, the same technology has been proposed for medical purposes as well. In the USA, some state agencies have already made decisions about this issue.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe we should give Al Queda the address of Verichip. This is scary stuff, and it's coming fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKx1gLCQef8
    Last edited by Cigaboo; 01-14-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: link

Well in the US this will start off with pets (already here). Then sex offenders. And then general criminals. And then the military. Then children, then everyone else.

With the general population they'll make it voluntary at first in order for it to be more convenient. In other words if you don't get the implant then you'll have to go through the extra PITA security screening when flying or going into a governmental building or applying for a drivers license etc.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Thumbs down

This is sickening! I cannot believe how fast this high-tech police state is approaching toward us. It feels like living in a sci-fi horror film -- we're not quite there yet but it's the beginning of it.

They Don't Want You To Think: http://tinyurl.com/2c5m5b

We're In a Lot of Trouble: http://tinyurl.com/2f8pqd

"Conspiracy" and "Theory" are two separate words.

I heard that IBM helps fund Verichip, and IBM helped develop technologies to track Jews in the Holocaust. http://www.ibmandtheholocaust.com/ Looks like they're back to their old tricks again!

IBM isn't at fault. The government is at fault.

I'd argue that funding a technology that is obviously going to be used for nefarious purposes gives them a portion of the blame. But the government is the main offender, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    IBM isn't at fault. The government is at fault.
    Corporations never do anything immoral.
    I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe — "That government is best which governs not at all"; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have. - Henry David Thoreau

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am starting to think that our society and government climate would be alot better if we did not have the technological capabilities that we have now =\
    Look at all the angles. Think for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Luft97 View Post
    I am starting to think that our society and government climate would be alot better if we did not have the technological capabilities that we have now =\
    Yep, the Amish have it good xP

Quote Originally Posted by Cigaboo View Post
    I'd argue that funding a technology that is obviously going to be used for nefarious purposes gives them a portion of the blame. But the government is the main offender, of course.

Yes, but that technology has good uses too. This technology goes into pets which can be very beneficial. Also RFID technology has a LOT of great uses.

That's like saying funding guns are bad because they "obviously going to be used for nefarious purposes" when in reality most guns are used for sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Mountain Boy View Post
    Corporations never do anything immoral.
    Corporations can neither be moral or amoral. Corporations have no soul. They are not human beings. Humans can be moral or amoral, but a lifeless fiction cannot.

PEOPLE should be held accountable. The corporation is just a shell.

Technology, by itself is a neutral power that can be potentially used for good or evil. I have no beef against the technology itself or ethical applications of it.

When you sell a gun to someone randomly, of course you can not be blamed if some small segment of your customers uses it for unethical purposes. You have no way of discriminating this. BUT, if you were selling a gun directly to someone who is (not just possibly) using it for murder or coercion, you are aware of that fact, you are a part of the the crime. In fact, you are profiting from the crime directly. Another way to look at this is, if one of your customers goes out and kills someone, and you continue supplying to that person with that knowledge, is that not unethical?

At this point, Verichip can not be accused of being unethical, because recipients of the chip have been voluntary (at least not that we are publicly aware of). But as this article states, as well as reports of it being imposed on Alzheimers patients and military personnel, that is soon about to change. I can guarantee you that Verichip knows exactly what this technology is going to be used for, and will readily supply people who use it for unethical applications with full knowledge of how it is being misused. In fact, I'm sure they see governments that forcibly impose it on the masses as their main customer. This should be obvious.

If we don't nip this at the bud, and are too afraid to get our hands dirty, we're doomed.

The more advanced technology becomes the more dangerous government becomes and the less government is needed. Government should become less and less powerful and smaller and smaller as technology enhances the individual's ability to secure their own freedom.

Matthew Chapters 23 + 24

It occurred to me that we may see the chips infiltrate professional sports like football. I haven't heard of any discussion on that, but it seems like a natural fit as it would allow players (and the ball) to be tracked on the field. That could have a role in the normalization of the idea.
    Last edited by Cigaboo; 01-15-2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: a