Dr. Paul asks in his last email for constructive criticism and recognizes (belatedly) that there are problems at HQ (as if we didn't know ). So, please take Dr. Paul up on his request and list your calls for constructive criticism here.
Well, this is turning into a popular thread. Yes, I will try to add the PMs to me into a summary so if you don't want to make a public post here, feel free to send me a Private Message.Does this mean our campaign has done everything right? No! We have made
mistakes, and will make them again. Not only because errors are to be
found in any human endeavor, but because an effort like this, to repeal
a hundred years and more of evil, is brand-new on the face of the earth...
If you have suggestions for me to do better, I want to hear them.
[EDIT: I will try to edit a draft summary--or more likely versions of draft summaries--over the weekend and look for comments and suggestions on that as we go. I will try to incorporate the private comments to me in this manner so as to protect those wishing that their voice be heard without losing their anonymity (including those close to the campaign). Hopefully Monday or so, we'll be able to present a more complete summary. Yes, there are issues that have been brought to my attention I will forward to the campaign privately that I shan't make public. Feel free to PM me those--and please, just to avoid confusion, make clear if you think something needs to be kept private.]
My first, very primitive and preliminary attempt to begin a sketch of a summary (is that enough qualifiers?). Some PMs will be kept private and added when sent to the campaign. Please feel free to comment on my attempts at a summary--this is a Hayekian spontaneous order approach.
Notes for HQ
Thanks for freelance for putting together this working summary for us!
• Don't be afraid to fire, demote, reorganize and hire in a vigorous way. (Comments regarding specific names suggested for hiring and firing will be added privately in the appendix.)
• Stop the rudeness--show appreciation to the grassroots and volunteers.
• Hire an ombudsman—(between campaign and grassroots?).
• Hire a scheduler and set up state (volunteer, if possible) advance teams, where applicable
• Hire someone to direct campaign to women
• 1Train state coordinators
• 2Hire and train a competent receptionist
• Need for more professional media relationships.
• Need to add campaign activities and events to AP Daybook and notify even local media.
• Give guidance to local Meetups for media.
• Have more media events.
• Prepare media events professionally coordinating backdrops, dress, color, signage, etc.
• Need to explain why and how policy positions benefit average Americans in a way they can understand.
• Need to have ads that match a strategy based on crosstab polling information.
• Need to run ads of a professional quality.
• Open up the production of ads to the grassroots, YouTube style. (Broadcast Freedom?)
• 3Note: Suggestions range from heartfelt to funny to hard hitting to using the electibility response as the basis for an ad--something to stand out from the crowd.
• End the bottleneck of supplying materials throughout the country.
• Create more materials to appeal to various targeted populations.
Precinct captain program:
• Concerns over dated, incorrect and incomplete data and lack of assistance and guidance.
• Concerns of data security of database, etc.
• Get more endorsements--and then utilize them.
• Encourage, enlist and utilize "Demographic subgroups for Ron Paul."
• Develop surrogate speakers database
• More transparency from HQ.
• More responsiveness from HQ.
• And my personal favorite suggestion--win more votes!
More if you get Buy-in
• 4Inspirational turnaround moment (neoconned speech?)
• 5Website organization and taxonomy
• 6Primaries state organizations should run like clockwork – debrief, checklist, brief, tweak
• Filter and utilize e-mail database for reminders and important info
• 7Mock debate (and media) practice. Use media appearance to explain how he would accomplish his agenda items.
• 8Develop and hone talking points.
• Include grassroots when looking for staff.
1 Inexperience. A bit of training from consultants with more experience might be in order for hires who lack real political-world experience. This is especially true with regards to local issues. Campaign staff members should know the errata inside and out - this means state laws and state voting rules, this means state GOP and RNC bylaws, etc etc. We had poll checkers get kicked out of the polling places in NH because they needed a letter signed by the state GOP chair. I saw the requirement in the NH rule book myself, but apparently the campaign staff who assigned grassroots folks to poll checking posts did not know about it until we told them.
2 I’ve heard numerous complaints about Brandon—rude, hangs up on people, refuses to connect them when they are returning a phone call, etc.
3 Vision, Attacks, Tailored Messages
1. Speak to your VISION of a smaller federal government. The virtue of SELF-RELIANCE, family, community, state and finally limited fed govt. Define the compassion of a CIVIL society.
2. Re-assure those currently dependent on fed govt of your commitment to them.
3. Specific attacks on policies of opposition. Huckabee's Fair tax = a sure path to a gigantic black market...McCain's 100 years = radicalizing all of Islam not just current terrorists...Il Duce Rudy and Patriot Act = more secret prisons, more torture, fewer civil liberties...BE SPECIFIC
4. Make ads that match the issues and focus group the people to review your ads in the region to see if you are even close to hitting the mark. FLOOD THESE TV ADS, radio ads, newspaper ads INTO THESE STATES.
5. get that woman of color from their youtube page in one of the commercials pronto. I mean PRONTO....
5 ”We need you to give the most inspirational speech you have ever given. Something in the vein of your "Neoconned" speech before Congress, but more in the spirit of Reagan's "A Time For Choosing!" speech. Simply, because this is a time for choosing. A time for choosing between Corporate and Grassroots. A time for choosing between a "Nanny State Foreign Policy" and a Strong Foreign Policy. A time for choosing between a Weak Dollar and a Strong Dollar. A time for choosing between a Nanny State Domestic Policy and a Responsible Domestic Policy. A time for choosing between Increasing Government Control and Increasing We the People's Control. A time for choosing between Increasing Government Rights and Increasing Civil Rights. A time for choosing between Government Healthcare and Healthcare Choice. A time for choosing between Fascism and Freedom. Clear and Present Vision. The Hopeful Vision you offer. We already know the problems this country faces. We need to see the Future you offer as the Solution. You need to Paint that Vision in Our minds' Eye.”
The one page that mentions Meetups is far too difficult to find, and secondly, the information about Meetups on that page is buried in fine print at the bottom of the page and requires a scroll up to even notice it.
In other words, the website needs MAJOR restructuring to make it easier to find out about Meetup Groups.
www.MikeHuckabee.com does a much simpler, and more effective, way of advertising and describing Meetup groups and getting people connected. I recommend the Ron Paul web designer look at the Huckabee site and consider emulating it, as it is simpler and more effective.
The need for this issue is to KISS it, that is keep is shorter and simpler.”
Also, list all events on the Web site in advance so that people can plan to attend.
6 Inexperience. A bit of training from consultants with more experience might be in order for hires who lack real political-world experience. This is especially true with regards to local issues. Campaign staff members should know the errata inside and out - this means state laws and state voting rules, this means state GOP and RNC bylaws, etc etc. We had poll checkers get kicked out of the polling places in NH because they needed a letter signed by the state GOP chair. I saw the requirement in the NH rule book myself, but apparently the campaign staff who assigned grassroots folks to poll checking posts did not know about it until we told them.
7 Ron Paul needs to stop being wishy washy on facts (e.g. Russert's "do you know how much revenue we'd lose if we got rid of the income tax?"), and stop simply ranting that everything is broken without proposing a solution.
For instance "No other Republican is talking about sound money policy, no other candidate knows about economic policy than me.."
8for instance "The GOP has been manipulated into thinking war is a republican endeavor. Who pays for these wars, who do these wars benefit.. We have issues here in American, and we are trying to prop up governments around the world.."
for instance "If you listen to these other candidates you'd think they were serious about illegal immigration, but just look at each of their records 6 months ago. ABYSSMAL. They are just paying lip service to you all, and thru the media you are all buying it. They are open borders, big government labour expliotation all the way...."
In other words, GET TOUGH! Stop being some pansy who is really smart. America wants a LEADER, not an academic....... WE CAN HAVE BOTH!
For instance, he can run circles around people, but he doesn't..
"what do you any of you know of economic policy..... you want war and promote war, but how can we pay for it? who is gonna foot the bill? Do you all agree we should print more money for it.. or how about borrowing it from the Chinese? NO, you will raise taxes to create more government and soon the American people will be more broke paying for the empire in another country, and still you will advice from the very same advisors who set us on this course.." etc..”
Posts to reread in their entirety.
its simple--complete reset needed.
A complete reset is needing at the campaign HQ.
I would recommend a meeting somewhere in TEXAS for a national 2-4 day strategy meeting prior to FLORIDA. BRAINSTORMING, STRATEGY, FEEDBACK,ETC.
This is what i have seen several companies do in the past to turn things around. Works like gold!
I could see stuff like this coming out:
1) put down a budget on how much money do you have left--lets sit down and see the budget and general forecast plan. ie..5 million left, 3 states you plan to attack and ignore others, media you have available in tv, radio, newspapers, etc. Hire professionals on contract to do databases, back up all data and manage this for all states. Keep data secure and accessable to all. Do not allow students, or non-vetted individuals control of this. It will loose massive votes and or not be maximized as happened in Iowa. Have meetups regularly show these numbers to their teams and lead presentations on this in every region and get feedback to a focused HQ team that is the sector coordinator for that region to get info back to the campaign director for that the issues match. Expect 24 hr turns on all questions nothing less is acceptable.
2) make ads that match the issues and focus group the people to review your ads in the region to see if you are even close to hitting the mark. FLOOD THESE TV ADS, radio ads, newspaper ads INTO THESE STATES. Make sure whether people are ok with computerized call systems. Do not frustrate people with calling systems that are automated. People want human beings to talk with. When you issue a plan there is a growth model on everything. 1st you do high quality ads, then build interest, then you overwhelm people once they support to lock them in. Finally you do humor or relaxed things to affirm your strength, and then you go with bigger infomercials...this was done totally upside down and backwards in Iowa and NH. We were lucky to get what we got because of how badly this was done.
3)Start unifying the attack on the destruction of America like Glenn Beck talks on. GET BACK TO THE MESSAGE OF BETRAYAL OF THE PARTY AND OUR NATION. HIRE SOMEONE LIKE RICHARD VIGUERIE FROM THE REAGAN CAMPAIGN ERA TO DRIVE THIS. GEESH THIS IS WHAT LOST THEM THE ELECTION IN 2006 on all fronts not just the war. THE GOVT STARTED PAYING OFF THE SUNNIS TO STOP THE FIGHTING. GB MOVED THEIR TROOPS OUT. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HONOR as the one soldier said on you tube, likewise this wont hold the minute the money disappears. Have to also wonder where the money goes...hmmm...terrorism?
Our lives and nation are challenged. STOP PLAYING NICE ON THEIR LIES. YOUR LEAD THE MESSAGE ON TV. USE THE WORDS OF OTHERS RIGHT NOW AGAINST THEM FROM TV CLIPS. BUILD ON ALLIES WE HAVE. BUILD THEM UP. MAKE THEM DEFEND THE IMPOSSIBLE. CONNECT THE DOTS FROM OUTSIDE US ALLIES OWN WORDS ON CFR/NAFTA/WTO plans. This is a major issue. NAFTA--to CFR connnection must be made to attach the whole stage to so many enemies that are openly in bed with these groups.
4) Start putting TV ads out that show the full truth...only tv ads allow no response long enough for the ideas to sink in. This gives ground not doing this. It looks like we are asleep. Why this hasn't happened to date is very sad to watch for a 20 million dollar quarter. IF the other guy is busy just responding to ads he cant get his message out. Giving you all the time for publicity and getting your message out. THIS MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE THE FRONT RUNNER AND ELECTABLE! THIS IS A MASSIVE ADVANTAGE NOT USED AT ALL.
5) Take advantage of the massive media resources that support Ron that are sitting on their thumbs for the most part trying to do things with very, very little money. Hire these guys in marketing, politics, PR, tv, graphic design, etc on parallel regional project teams and issues to reduce costs, create a razor sharp SUPER attack machine that no one can keep up with on the issues. DECENTRALIZE POWER. BUT SHARE RESOURCES AND INTEL. DO A FULL OUT ATTACK AND CREATE A MEDIA DONATION FUND FOR DIRECT MONEY TO THIS EFFORT. THIS WOULD GIVE US WHAT WE MUST DO TO TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY.
6) CREATE Presidential Intel group that surfs the web, news, etc arming our future president just as any president is done with morning reports on intelligence in the WH. RON needs to be way ahead of all arguements, debate tricks, etc. This is Romney's advantage. "Fool me once-maybe, Fool me twice is the campaigns fault". Ron can be much better set up. Case in point is romney's attack of the whole reading the terrorist play book. Nex start dropping hints and creating your own intel, with possible people you agree with Buchanan, Moore, etc....show the conservatives you are one of them right now. Do the same for the 3rd rail AARP groups(the seniorsforronpaul is golden material to use!!!!!), and other powerful support groups.
7) WE APPEAR TO NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE A DECISION AT ALL. Consider hiring a more conservative RP team on board and split the old libertarian forces and this new one strategically. Battle plans need to be setup like you are creating two companies with different customers to go after the state areas in parallel based on liberal and social conservatives different drivers. Too much strategy that would work in the general race is being applied percentage wise to the wrong group in the primary, at the wrong time, with no linkages. At the same time areas like Michigan where no democrats are voting for obama, likewise in Florida our liberal voters could be attacking these states right now!!! Ron has two strong wings. The liberal supporters and the social conservatives. They need parallel operations to catch us all up. Ron has a strong voice for the christian base as does he for the reagan democrats and anti-war crowd. He actually won several polls(even though systems were broke on the votes for this) at value voters. We should be obliterating all sides at rapid speeds they cant keep up with us.
THIS MUST HAPPEN TO KILL THE UNELECTABLE TAG. THIS IS WHAT IS KILLING US!!!! IT MUST CHANGE RIGHT NOW!!!
IF ALL PEOPLE SEE OR KNOW WHO RON PAUL IS THEN THE CHANGE WILL HAPPEN.
8) Look for niche ideas to promote to the people to new people. All papers should be flooded, human phone call groups not automated systems(we have 100,000 people we can do human phone calls this is what got ross perot his success), do our own polling door to door in our regions, in our communities do out reaches during poll nights like taking care of kids with volunteer jumping places, this giving us a bump in the eyes of the voters at churches and schools across America. Also this give us a bump at the after vote for having our people ready to go become delegates.
9) Do Prep debates with Ron against strong conservatives in play acting. Get him prepped with his Intel to get people taken out. He needs to feel VERY strong in the debates no matter what. THE Stronger he is the more relaxed, sometimes the more humor, the more strength, the more trust is built. He needs to try a few quick wit humor ideas and put them into shock. We can turn this around. Its easy to do. Ron is an excellent speaker. But he is not getting prepped this is obvious. When tough tactics are tried you can confront and say no...not going to answer or trick into this. You can prove a person doesnt know what they are talking about on an issue by digging into their knowledge, etc. Reagan always did well with taking over things with humor. This always works. Crossness and frustration works sometimes but has to be not all the time. Being smarter, more informed, and laughing off the attacks is a sign of electability for the voters to believe this guy can out think anyone!
10) Create a team that deals with seeking endorsements and setting up one-on-one meetings at national or regional HQ to give access to these endorses to get their input in and get plugged in. There has been a lot of betrayal by the DC party. This means Ron has to prove his stripes one on one before they go and die for the cause.
DO NOT IGNORE THESE ENDORSERS THEN CALL THEM BEGGING FOR THEIR CALL LISTS!
IT MAKES US LOOK LIKE TOTAL IDIOTS!
WHY THIS HAPPENED with a very serious endorser is pure stupidity.
All the possible endorser can say is i am frustrated, disappointed and start looking at other candidates to plug into with their power and voice. Then they start making the unacceptable candidates out to destroy our nation "OK ENOUGH"
SPEECHWRITER is needed to assist & CLARIFY TALKING POINTS!
The media AND the public are not REALLY hearing what Ron Paul is saying.
When he says: "eliminate the Dept of Education"
They hear: "end public schools"
When he says: "end the income tax"
They respond: "But how will we pay for roads & schools?"
When he says: "end the CIA"
They say: "how will we stop terrorists"
When he says: "withdraw troops from everywhere"
They hear: "Isolationism! get rid of the Army, Navy, etc. -- are you crazy?"
- RonPaulForums.com is an independent grassroots outfit not officially connected to Ron Paul but dedicated to his mission. For more information see our Mission Statement.