Thread: What happens in a brokered convention?

What happens in a brokered convention?

What if, come Republican National Convention after all the primaries are in, there is no one candidate with a significant majority to win the nomination? What process determines who becomes the winner?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was kind of wondering how a brokered convention works as well. I have a feeling it works something like this though:

Delegates we need you to all vote to select one of the candidates.

Thompson

Ok Thompson is now eliminated.

Select another candidate now by voting please.

McCain

Ok McCain is now eliminated.

Select another candidate please.

Giuliani

Ok we keep Giuliani in then.

Paul

Ok Paul is eliminated.

Huckabee

Ok Huckabee is eliminated.

Delegates: NO FAIR!!!!!

GOP: Ok everyone we will write the names of your candidates on pieces of paper and put them in a hat. Then Lord Sidious' apprentice Darth Vader here will draw one out for us, and they will be our nominee!

Vader draws a name out of the hat......

Giuliani!

Delegates: Wait a second, all these other names are Giuliani!!!

GOP: Giuliani is the Republican nominee!!!!

Delegates: What?! How?! Thats not-

GOP: It doesn't matter what you think, your candidate did not recieve the nomination and now has no delegates so what you say no longer matters.
    I GOT MY BUSINESS MANAGEMENT SCIENCE DEGREE IN MY HANDS AND RAN!!!!!!! THEY'RE NEVER GETTING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!

"It is dissent from government policies that defines the true patriot and champion of liberty."

- Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by justinc.1089 View Post
    I was kind of wondering how a brokered convention works as well. I have a feeling it works something like this though:

Delegates we need you to all vote to select one of the candidates.

Thompson

Ok Thompson is now eliminated.

Select another candidate now by voting please.

McCain

Ok McCain is now eliminated.

Giuliani

Ok we keep Giuliani in then.

Paul

Ok Paul is eliminated.

Huckabee

Ok Huckabee is eliminated.

Delegates: NO FAIR!!!!!

GOP: Ok everyone we will write the names of your candidates on pieces of paper and put them in a hat. Then Lord Sidious' apprentice Darth Vader here will draw one out for us, and they will be our nominee!

Vader draws a name out of the hat......

Giuliani!

Delegates: Wait a second, all these other names are Giuliani!!!

GOP: Giuliani is the Republican nominee!!!!

Delegates: What?! How?! Thats not-

GOP: It doesn't matter what you think, your candidate did not recieve the nomination and now has no delegates so what you say no longer matters.
    Not so much. LoL

The delegates will vote, and none of the candidates will receive 50.01%. So they'll vote again, and then again.

They'll vote a couple times right off the bat because most (but not all) of the delegates will be bound by law to vote for their candidate for the first ballot or two (or three).

If no one has 50.01% yet, it's time to wheel and deal. Candidates may (or may not) release their delegates to vote for whoever they (the delegates) want. The candidates may try to take as many of their delegates as they can over to another candidate, perhaps for a VP slot or some other sort of consideration.

Theoretically, the delegates could even choose someone who hasn't even been running.

Basicially, ANYTHING could happen. The more delegates you have, the more power you have. If you have a bunch of delegates, but they are only yours because they are bound, well, they won't be worth jack after a few ballots. If you are a Ron Paul guy, but you are bound to Romney, you can switch to RP after a few ballots.

The whole thing is up for grabs if it ends up in a brokered convention. This is not necessarily a bad thing for us. It could in fact be a GREAT thing for us...IF WE HAVE DELEGATES!!!
    THE MESSAGE!!! STAY ON THE MESSAGE!!!

My review of the For Liberty documentary:
    digg.com/d315eji
    (please Digg and post comments on the HuffPost site)

"This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a 'War President', and his positioning of the Republicans as the 'War Party'."

Nicholas Sanchez on Bush's legacy, September 30, 2007.

I think we need to win a majority of Delegates in 5 states and D.C. to be considered for voting at the convention.