Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THIS is how they won Jefferson county

THIS is how they won Jefferson county

From Roger Leahy:
    We have received compliments from the RP campaign staff, and inquiries from Ron Paul supporters in other states wanting to duplicate our success.
    This has prompted me to recall those various ingredients. They have included:

An early rally in person by Dr Paul in August where 500 persons heard his message at the town square.

Enthusiastic travel and participation in the Straw Poll in Ames by local RP supporters.

Building a list, mostly locally with help from the campaign, of about 150 local RP supporters.

Having a fantastic Meetup organizer in Brian, who has inspired us on a daily basis with national RP news and setting up local RP events.

Staffing a booth on Saturday mornings at the Farmer’s Market from August through December where we were available to discuss Ron Paul.

Staffing booths at the monthly Art Walk to promote Ron Paul.

Lots of local signs for Ron Paul, including 4’ by 8’ signs on the main roads and far more yard signs than any other candidate.

We set up a small local office on the town square, with internet and phone, where literature, buttons, signs and bumper stickers were available 24/7.

All these materials were provided free to the public and were sponsored by local donations.

We dropped Ron Paul literature on Sundays at church parking lots, and distributed RP literature on door knobs around town.

Weekly and Ads and occasional inserts were placed in the local (daily and weekly) newspapers for the past couple of months.

A focus on local areas of concern, particularly health freedom, restoring civil liberties, opposition to the Patriot Act,

restoring the Constitutional limited Federal government, a humble, non-interventionalist foreign policy, etc.

We met weekly over lunch for organizational meetings that were open to the public.

We help Public Ron Paul meetings in the public library about monthly, showing videos and giving talks.

Held a speech competition to choose and selected two great young speakers to talk for Ron Paul at the caucus.

We outfitted 2 pick-ups with 4 by 8 Ron Paul signs and parked them prominently on the main highways or on the town square.

We bought some RP magnetic signs and put them on our car doors.

We emailed and called our lists of friends and business associates to explain the importance of supporting Ron Paul.

We directed our efforts mostly to our friends, who were largely Democrats, Independents, or non-political folks.

We tried to win over Obama and Edwards supporters, in fact some of our Ads contrasted Ron Paul with them.

We made a strong effort to get people to register Republican just for voting for Ron Paul, even if they switched back the next day.

We communicated often via emails (sometimes dozens per day) sharing ideas and inspiration (allowing folks to opt out if they wished).

Although we had a Meetup Group (totally open and un-monitored), only about 1/3 actually joined it. The rest we just emailed directly.

We emailed and talked with each other continuously and inspired each other continually with Ron Paul news and links.

What we did not do:

We had very little contact with traditional Republicans or the conservative Christian community.

We did not make phone calls to Republican or any registered voter lists. (we tried it, but found it disappointing.)

We did not focus on Ron Paul’s positions on abortion or immigration (unless asked about them).

When I wrote the above list, I was pretty impressed with our local activities.

We have such a core group of Ron Paul patriots, and we are not going to settle for less than a transformation of our country.

We wish tremendous success to the Ron Paul Revolution in New Hampshire and up to the Convention.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to inaugurate President Ron Paul?

GO RON PAUL!!

Roger

DON'T GIVE UP

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great job!
    "An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come." - Victor Hugo

"“Fed intervention in the financial markets is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage.” - H.L. Mencken

"We have little faith in the healing power of central banking; but when it comes to killing a patient, even a quack can do the job." - Daily Reckoning

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you." - Unknown

I think this is REALLY important to take note you guys, Jefferson county wasn't a fluke

If you guys work hard we can win this thing.

I heard in NH Ron paul signs are being taken down and replaced with Huckabee and McCain signs. We need to counteract this

Let's treat this as a real election and show them what the grassroots is made of

Excellent. Thanks for posting.

Professional Neo-con catcher ™

Can we sticky this? In EVERY thread? Many good ideas there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shavenyak View Post
    Can we sticky this? In EVERY thread? Many good ideas there.
    I would highly recommend that. I have the whole post if you like (it's extremely long) but I felt this part was the most important

Here is the entire post

What we did in Jefferson County

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please circulate

RON PAUL WINS JEFFERSON COUNTY !

GREAT NEWS FOR THE REST OF THE COUNTRY!
    We had a great night here in Jefferson County, Iowa. Ron Paul won with over 35% of the vote out of 838 votes cast, Huckabee was second with 31%! The conversations at our victory party last night were about how wonderful it would be if Jefferson County could secede and become our own country with Ron Paul as our President! We want everyone to know why we won and what you can do to improve on our results. We think we have some extremely important and positive information to share with all of our friends around the country, and the world, who believe in Freedom.

You should know where I am coming from so you can better appreciate the perspective that is being shared in this message. I did not grow up in Iowa, I grew up in the Chicago area and have lived in several different states including California for eight years. I have worked in virtually every major city in the country in my various business activities and as a professional speaker. I moved here with my family in 1982 and ran for Governor here as the Libertarian candidate in 2002. I have a pretty good perspective on this state and how unique it is.

The first thing you need to know is that Jefferson County has different demographics than any other county in Iowa. A significant portion of our population, like me, did not grow up in Iowa. Jefferson county is demographically more like the rest of the country than any other county in Iowa. We have a University here that has attracted families from California, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, and literally all over the country. In my opinion this creates a diversity of opinion and backgrounds here that resembles the rest of the country more closely than other Iowa counties.

In general Iowans expect their elected representatives and the media to tell them the truth, there does not seem to be as much skepticism about what they hear in the media as in other states. There is no tradition of success for third party candidates in this state. Those of us in the Paul campaign tried to get, what seemed to us, basic constitutional reforms like eliminating the Department of Education, in the party platform last night. The general response was that we were being too radical. In summary, Iowa is a great state with wonderful people and a great place to live, but it is not likely to be a state that is going to lead the nation in embracing change. At this point the Ron Paul message is to extreme for the average Iowan.

If you look at the difference in the straw polls nationwide, versus the straw poll in Iowa, and you look at our caucus results here in Jefferson County, versus the caucus statewide results you get the picture. The picture looks pretty darn good.

Straw polls: Nation wide

Ron Paul has finished in the top 3 in 84% of the straw polls (41 out of 49)
    Ron Paul has finished in the top 2 in 69% of the straw polls (34 out of 49)
    Ron Paul has finished 1st in 55% of the straw polls (27 out of 49)

Straw poll in Ames, Iowa

Ron Paul finished in 5th in Iowa with 9.1% of the vote.

In the January third caucus Jefferson county's results were:

Paul----298---35%
    Romney---132---16%
    Thompson---80---10%
    McCain--38----5%
    Giuliani----25---3%
    Hunter---3----0%
    Huckabee---263---31%

State wide the results were:

Huckabee 39,814 34%
    Romney 29,405 25%
    Thompson 15,521 13%
    McCain 15,242 13%
    Paul 11,596 10%
    Giuliani 4,013 4%
    Hunter 515 1%

1. Jefferson county has more people from other states per capita than other Iowa counties and Ron Paul was a clear winner here, that bodes well for other states.

2. The Straw poll results in Iowa for Ron Paul were close to the caucus results in Iowa, 9% to 10%, if that trend holds for the other states that is incredible news for the Ron Paul campaign because Iowa had just about the worst straw poll results of any of the straw polls held anywhere in the country.

3. The fact that we did well in Jefferson County and we have a higher per capita ratio of out of staters is a strong indication that Iowa is unique and that the straw poll results will be a good indicator of how election results will turn out in other states.

We worked hard in this state and we did improve a bit on the straw poll results. However, if we just do as well in the other primaries as we did in the other straw polls Ron Paul will easily win the nomination.

One other point, our experience with young people here in Jefferson County leads us to believe that Ron Paul would have done much better state wide if the election had not been held during the holiday break. That probably cost us enough votes in the large college towns to keep us from owning a solid third place finish state-wide.

The other reason we did well in Jefferson County, in our opinion, is that we did not waste much time on regular Republican voters. We focused on anti-war independents, anti-war Democrats, and especially on young people. We highly recommend this strategy. We also did a lot of work here and I am including a complete list below of what we did. This list was compiled today by Roger Leahy, one of our key organizers.

I have to mention a couple of other items as well. We had a phenomenal campaign chair here that worked 18 hours a day seven days a week. His name is Brian Horsfield, he is a British citizen and can't even vote in America!

One great thing we did that we recommend to all the campaigns. We held a speech competition a week before the caucus and we had nine contestants participate. We went out of our way to recruit young people to participate. The two winners were Samara Burnes who is 21 years old, and Monty Congden a 28 year old military veteran. Both of them attended the local public high school. They absolutely blew people away at the caucus, both of them had many people approach them to let them know that their speeches tipped them over to Ron Paul. The speech competition also served to completely energize all the supporters who attended. We blew it by not getting their speeches taped for youtube. We have asked them if they will let us video their speeches so hopefully we will have them up for you soon.

One last item, my comments about the people in Iowa are not meant to be critical, it is just a unique culture here. I am confident that once the people of Iowa have the opportunity to get the full picture of who Ron Paul is and what he stands for they will come around and be very supportive. They did not really have that opportunity. The state's main newspaper, the Des Moines Register, makes Fox look fair and well balanced. They did not even list Ron Paul as one of the Republican candidates in their daily campaign reports! I guess there just wasn't enough room on all those pages.

Good luck to all Paulites
    Clyde Cleveland

From Roger Leahy:
    We have received compliments from the RP campaign staff, and inquiries from Ron Paul supporters in other states wanting to duplicate our success.
    This has prompted me to recall those various ingredients. They have included:

An early rally in person by Dr Paul in August where 500 persons heard his message at the town square.

Enthusiastic travel and participation in the Straw Poll in Ames by local RP supporters.

Building a list, mostly locally with help from the campaign, of about 150 local RP supporters.

Having a fantastic Meetup organizer in Brian, who has inspired us on a daily basis with national RP news and setting up local RP events.

Staffing a booth on Saturday mornings at the Farmer’s Market from August through December where we were available to discuss Ron Paul.

Staffing booths at the monthly Art Walk to promote Ron Paul.

Lots of local signs for Ron Paul, including 4’ by 8’ signs on the main roads and far more yard signs than any other candidate.

We set up a small local office on the town square, with internet and phone, where literature, buttons, signs and bumper stickers were available 24/7.

All these materials were provided free to the public and were sponsored by local donations.

We dropped Ron Paul literature on Sundays at church parking lots, and distributed RP literature on door knobs around town.

Weekly and Ads and occasional inserts were placed in the local (daily and weekly) newspapers for the past couple of months.

A focus on local areas of concern, particularly health freedom, restoring civil liberties, opposition to the Patriot Act,

restoring the Constitutional limited Federal government, a humble, non-interventionalist foreign policy, etc.

We met weekly over lunch for organizational meetings that were open to the public.

We help Public Ron Paul meetings in the public library about monthly, showing videos and giving talks.

Held a speech competition to choose and selected two great young speakers to talk for Ron Paul at the caucus.

We outfitted 2 pick-ups with 4 by 8 Ron Paul signs and parked them prominently on the main highways or on the town square.

We bought some RP magnetic signs and put them on our car doors.

We emailed and called our lists of friends and business associates to explain the importance of supporting Ron Paul.

We directed our efforts mostly to our friends, who were largely Democrats, Independents, or non-political folks.

We tried to win over Obama and Edwards supporters, in fact some of our Ads contrasted Ron Paul with them.

We made a strong effort to get people to register Republican just for voting for Ron Paul, even if they switched back the next day.

We communicated often via emails (sometimes dozens per day) sharing ideas and inspiration (allowing folks to opt out if they wished).

Although we had a Meetup Group (totally open and un-monitored), only about 1/3 actually joined it. The rest we just emailed directly.

We emailed and talked with each other continuously and inspired each other continually with Ron Paul news and links.

What we did not do:

We had very little contact with traditional Republicans or the conservative Christian community.

We did not make phone calls to Republican or any registered voter lists. (we tried it, but found it disappointing.)

We did not focus on Ron Paul’s positions on abortion or immigration (unless asked about them).

When I wrote the above list, I was pretty impressed with our local activities.

We have such a core group of Ron Paul patriots, and we are not going to settle for less than a transformation of our country.

We wish tremendous success to the Ron Paul Revolution in New Hampshire and up to the Convention.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to inaugurate President Ron Paul?

GO RON PAUL!!

Roger

Template for success! Great going!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    bump

Can the admins please sticky this?

This doesn't sound to hard...
    WE ALL NEED TO UNITE. FREEDOM TAKES RESPONSIBILITY.
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Aim for first, and keep your eyes on the prize. Go hard, just GO GO GO, Ron!

One thing to take into account.

On your list you mentioned that you went to church parking lots on Sundays to put literature on cars.

We recently did a HUGE Christian email campaign, and got complaints about the lit drops on cars during church services.

Christians worship in these services and the last thing they want to see when they come out to their car is something political. They also see that whoever put this on their car obviously was not in church.

So, you might want to think twice about using this tactic. Maybe instead, attend the young adults class at the church and get to know them, then bring up RP.

great advice ionlyknowy, it's good that we remain flexible, but I think this is a testament that HARD WORK can only get things done.

We can't rely on the campaign or even Ron to do this, we the people must take this into our own hands

I just printed this out and I am taking it to our next meetup.
    Stay focused on positive fund raising ideas.
    Remind folks to register and actually vote in the primaries. Their support is great, their vote is what counts.

bumpity bump... and please sticky

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    BUMP!

if we organize our army , we can win ! There are simply too many of us and the message is too strong.

Organize then fight!

pass it on.

You guys from Iowa need to head down to NH and SC!! You are all so good at doing this it would be awesome to have you campaigning out of state!

bump
    Saturate the local media with positive but modest Ron Paul ads. Call your newspaper and buy a Ron Paul ad today!!!
    http://voters.ronpaul2008.com/ - Get Out Of Your Chair and Become a Precinct Captain

Nice doesnt sound to hard at all every county ! Get to it!

If you look at the difference in the straw polls nationwide, versus the straw poll in Iowa, and you look at our caucus results here in Jefferson County, versus the caucus statewide results you get the picture. The picture looks pretty darn good.
    I think this is inaccurate because the Iowa straw poll was huge whereas the other straw polls were small and therefore easier to win with a small but motivated group of supporters.

Ads should promote the meetups and other action points - see this TV show, watch this youtube etc.

examples here: http://ronpaul.meetup.com/267/files/

And have a place where people can pick up buttons and bumper stickers and yard signs> We had a place that was outside in the lobby of the office and open 24/7 to the public. Really encourage all supporters to wear buttons at all times. We had lots of different ones both stick on and pin on. they are very effective to start conversations with people about Ron PAul
    Brian Horsfield
    Co-Organizer, Fairfield, Iowa, Ron Paul Meetup Group
    http://www.meetup.com/Fairfield4RonPaul

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

You guys did everything right.

Kudos.
    Whats in your survival cache?

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."

Jefferson County your fight is not yet over and it will not end till we reach the Oval Office.

Everyone contact their local meet ups and post these ideas! Start campaigning right now!

Bump
    Stay focused on positive fund raising ideas.
    Remind folks to register and actually vote in the primaries. Their support is great, their vote is what counts.

//
    WE ALL NEED TO UNITE. FREEDOM TAKES RESPONSIBILITY.
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

good work !!!
    c'mon ppl take tips from this,
    lets make our dream come true

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast