Thread: Issue: Social Security: What about Social Security and Medicare?

Issue: Social Security: What about Social Security and Medicare?

Hi I'm a big supporter of Ron Paul.

A friend of mine recently asked me a question and I didnt know how to answer it so I'm turning to you guys since someone here may know Dr. Paul's opinion on this tough topic.

I know that he is for smaller goverment and reducing programs to get us off a welfare state but what about programs that current help those that are permanently disabled without income and any form of sustaining medical bills?

Does anyone know having either listened to Ron Paul if he would be willing to end certain programs that currently help the most extreme cases of our society. I'm not talking about the single mothers that are trying to support a family and is expecting to stay on welfare, I'm talking about individuals that CAN NOT physicall leave their residence due to medical condition without and form of income from work, family or friends.

If anyone could help me understand what Ron's position would be in regards to this issue that I'm sure effects a large number of americans I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't know the exacts to the situation you are asking, but here is a good site with Ron Paul's voting record on Health Care proposments, each with a breif overview. You might find what you are looking for.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Ron_...ealth_Care.htm
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty; when the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Ron Paul Supporters!!!

Here is the same site on Social Security.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Ron_...l_Security.htm
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty; when the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Ron Paul Supporters!!!

If you are up for some reading. Here are several articles written by Ron Paul about social security. http://www.paulonpaper.com/topic.php?id=11

Thanks I'll look into these, since the question is coming second hand i'm not really sure how best to phrase. Let me spend some time to get the exact details so I can clarify the question.

Thanks again

I feel pretty confident I know what you are asking. Unfortunately I don't think there's any good resolution to government handouts once they are started. You're going to have old ladies who can't buy groceries and people with kids they can't feed if you end the entitlement programs. Of course I'd say the best answer is to never start the handouts in the first place, but that obviously doesn't resolve the situation at hand.

Actualy the question concerns me too.

I was recently diagnosed with MS and while I will work as long as I am able with MS there is a good chance that the day will come when I can no longer work. I have done the best to save for that day but the very expensive medication is eating into my savings and I fear there will not be much left.

Disability is a comforting saftey net to know that when the day comes that i need it it will be there.

While I do suport Ron Paul regardless of his views it would be nice to know that he has some plans to help folks like me.

What if the solution was for social security to refund every dime you've ever paid into it before shutting down? That'd be a nice chunk of change for everyone!
    mdh - mdh (at) lpwv (dot) org
    Libertarian Party of West Virginia Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by joshuastjohn View Post
    Pardon my ignorance. What's an MDH?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I could deal with that. Although there would still be the danger of medical cost eating it all up especialy if Medicaid would disapear as well.

I guess thats what wal-mart greeter jobs are for.

Ok I talked with my friend and he clarified the question for me. Basically its the same thing Tao was asking which is;

Social Security Disability

Normally the way social security works is that once you reach retirment age you start to get back payments based on the money you put in. But Social Security is a larger program than just that there is a party that covers disability which kicks in before retirment age if you become disabled and are not able to work.

For example someone works to age 20 having only put in a couple of years in and ends up with a situation that disables them through no fault of their own but through a natural condition.

Or someone that has been living paycheck to paycheck (which most of us do) and gets a stroke at 43 becoming disabled.

And before you say well if we got rid of most of the taxes people would be able to save more the most they would get back is what 30-50% of income? One week in the hospital can cost in the neighborhood of 30k.

Now what?

I guess the argument is that Social Security Disability isn't a welfare program for those that made bad decissions is for those that through no fault of their own end up in a situation where only the goverment and really fellow citizens can help. Donations and Charity only go so far so a social security disability program funded through taxes is like an issurance policy for us all in the case (god forbid) that something happens to us on an individual basis that can not possibly be avoided.

Thanks in advance for helping me understand what the answer to this issue would be. My friend thanks you too.