Thread: MSM Blueprint for attacking RP

MSM Blueprint for attacking RP

I wish I could take credit for this, but I can't. I liked it so I thought I would repeat it here. I saw it over at CNN's ticker, posted by TheScientificDictatorship : December 20, 2007 1:11 am

----------------

We in the main stream media all know that Ron Paul cannot win the presidency because of his extremist views. Given this fact, it is important we don’t allow him the same media coverage as our preferred candidates. It is true that we must give him some coverage, but it is also true that we must adhere to the “Mass Media Ron Paul Rule” when giving him coverage during this campaign season. Generally, the “Mass Media Ron Paul Rule” can be summed up in two words:

Marginalize him.

Here are some wonderful tactics to utilize when applying the “Mass Media Ron Paul Rule:

Continually label him as a long shot candidate. This is the most important of all the tactics so we list it first. Sure, it is true that Ron Paul has won or placed high in many straw polls across the country but we must never mention it. Instead, in every article or television news story copy we should use one or more of the terms “dark horse”, “long shot”, “barely registering in the polls”, “quixotic”, or “gadfly”. If we can do this consistently, our job is complete.

Attack his supporters. Ron Paul has a stellar personal record with his marriage of over 50 years, 5 children, and 18 grandchildren. His political record is also exemplary with him never voting to raise taxes and always voting in accordance with the Constitution. Because of this, attacking him on his record is a daunting task. The best method to marginalize him is to attack his supporters. This can be accomplished by calling his supporters names like “kooky”, “crazy”, “conspiracy nutjobs”, “paultards”, and the like. This is classic “guilt by association” and works well on the apathetic electorate.

Call him “Libertarian” as much as possible. Continually giving him the libertarian label is a great covert method of Ron Paul marginalization. This reinforces that he’s not really a Republican even though he has held office as a Republican for 10 terms. We find that if you are in radio or television you may even say the word “libertarian” using a negative tone during questions. This perpetuates the extremism inherent in Ron Paul’s policies even though the word libertarian simply means: one who believes in liberty.

Continually ask him if he’s planning on running as a third party candidate. This tactic should be used often. It accomplishes two things. First, it suggests that he is not a serious candidate for the Republican party. Second, it will get him on record as saying he won’t run for a third party. If he should happen to run third party at a later date he can be attacked for changing his position.

Ask him if he would support the GOP nominee if he doesn’t win. Ron Paul is against the Iraq war and wishes to bring the troops home from overseas in order to help stem the tide of government overspending. This makes him different than all of the other Republican candidates who support keeping our troops overseas indefinitely. As media we must make all attempts to not only marginalize his candidacy, but also marginalize his steadfast message of linking the cost of the war on terror to our economic woes here at home.

Focus on his campaign strategy rather than his message. Ron Paul’s message of freedom, prosperity, and peace should be overshadowed by talk of his successful grassroots campaign. The more we focus on how he raises money and the types of supporters he has, the less time he has to talk about his message that is sure to resonate with most Americans. We must make all attempts to block or cloud that message. If it were to get out, it could spell doom for our chosen candidates.

Attack him for not returning donations from fringe supporters.
    White supremacists and prostitutes have donated money to Ron Paul and that is bad. We can use our political correctness and superior morality as a weapon and ask him why does he not return that donation money. After all a white supremacist would do more good with having an extra $500 in his pocket than a doctor who has delivered over 4000 babies while preaching peace and equal rights for everyone. However, ensure that you do not bring up the fact that the same extremists contributed to Bush in 2004, and Bush's campaign never gave it back.

Abolishing the IRS is crazy. Attacking his stance on abolishing the IRS and replacing it with nothing is also effective. After all most Americans don’t know that we could do without the income tax if we just went back to the same level of government spending that we had in the 1990’s. A great method is to reply to his answer with an incredulous “replace it with NOTHING? How can the government function?” comment. This tactic will scare people into believing in how the government always has our best interests at heart. It will help people ignore the fact that Ron Paul also wants to cut government spending drastically in order to balance the budget.

Label him an isolationist for his foreign policy views. Since he wants to bring our troops home from not just Iraq, but all of the 700 other occupied countries he should be deemed an isolationist. It doesn’t matter that Ron Paul wants free trade and travel with other countries and thus is not truly an isolationist. The people will believe what we tell them to believe.
    Last edited by gilliganscorner; 12-20-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added Source URL to CNN

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Where exactly did you find this. I want to post this on a couple of forums I belong to and I know anti-Ron Paul people will want proof of it's existance. I would like to add the link. Thanks for posting!!

His treatment by the media really turns off a lot of people. I remember on thanksgiving I showed my mom a video of him at the Fox debate, because she's an anti-war republican. She said "I like what he's saying, but the hosts are laughing at him," and she walked away still undecided.

------

I'd say his stop at Meet the Press will make or break his campaign. This is his biggest opportunity to to express his views to MSM-fans. I predict that Tim will try to grill him, as he does everyone, but will also respect him.

Quote Originally Posted by dawnbt View Post
    Where exactly did you find this. I want to post this on a couple of forums I belong to and I know anti-Ron Paul people will want proof of it's existance. I would like to add the link. Thanks for posting!!
    I first saw it on the CNN boards. The link is sourced at the top of the original quote. If you think of others, let me know, and I will try and keep the first post the "master" list. I think it would help give people a primer on how the mobilization of the establishment manifests through the media.
    Last edited by gilliganscorner; 12-20-2007 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dawnbt View Post
    I just realized what you were asking me. The blueprint above is not from CNN (i.e. CNN did not say it). Can you imagine if it was? We know they have no credibility, but man, an internal document like that published ... they would lose their credibility even with the most mindless non-critical thinker out there

Those fascists!
    "One thing at a time, is my motto - and just play that thing for all it is worth, even if it's only two pair and a jack."
    Mark Twain

# of "undesireables" exterminated by Nazi Germany: 11,000,000. / # of Soviet citizens purged by Stalin: 40-60,000,000. / # of Chinese killed in Mao Tse-Dong's Revolutions: 70-80,000,000. / Living in Freedom: Priceless.

R[ƎVO˩]UTION!